2004-11-02 22:56:29

by Shawn Willden

Subject: 2.6.8 Thinkpad T40, clock running too fast

2004-11-02 23:16:34

by john stultz

Subject: Re: 2.6.8 Thinkpad T40, clock running too fast

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 14:51, Shawn Willden wrote:
> I'm having a problem with the clock on my Thinkpad running too fast. My clock
> is gaining about 4 seconds every five minutes of operation. I'm actually not
> sure when this started because NTP has been fairly successful at keeping my
> clock under control, so I didn't really notice it until I spent some time
> operating disconnected... and then it became very obvious very quickly.

Does this go away if you disable cpufreq in your kernel config?

Also, looking at /proc/interrupts, does it look like you're getting more
then ~1000 interrupts per second?

thanks
-john

2004-11-03 00:08:27

by Shawn Willden

2004-11-03 00:32:15

by john stultz

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 16:03, Shawn Willden wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 November 2004 04:06 pm, john stultz wrote:
> > Does this go away if you disable cpufreq in your kernel config?
>
> I'll try that next.

Thanks, do let me know if it helps or not.

> > Also, looking at /proc/interrupts, does it look like you're getting more
> > then ~1000 interrupts per second?
>
> I don't think so. I'm not sure how to tell. Running the following:
>
> prev=0
> while true; do
> cur=`cat /proc/interrupts| grep timer|cut -d' ' -f 6`
> (( diff = $cur - $prev ))
> echo $diff; prev=$cur
> sleep 1
> done
>
> gives interrupt count differences that are between 1003 and 1222 per (rough)
> second. The mean is 1016 with a std deviation of 16. Running the same thing
> on another machine -- one without clock problems -- yields similar values.
>
> Is there a better way to measure this?

Not really, the problem is that the sleep call returns after so many
timer ticks, so even if the wrong amount of time has passed, you'll see
the same number of interrupts. It would be best if you checked the time
on your watch, waited 5 minutes and checked again, or better, did
something similar w/ ntpdate. I just wanted to eyeball it to make sure
you weren't running away w/ way too many timer interrupts.

thanks
-john

PS: If you wouldn't mind, CC me next time.

2004-11-03 00:41:10

by Shawn Willden

2004-11-03 01:00:21

by Shawn Willden

2004-11-03 12:30:08

by Stefan Seyfried

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 05:38:53PM -0700, Shawn Willden wrote:

> Any ideas?

remove /etc/adjtime and reboot.
--
Stefan Seyfried