2004-11-05 22:42:09

by Camilo A. Reyes

Subject: Console 80x50 SVGA

Greetings,

Just a question about displaying the console in 80x50 lines instead of 80x30. I have enabled frame buffer but as of now its doing only 80x30.

2004-11-06 07:39:14

by Willy Tarreau

Subject: Re: Console 80x50 SVGA

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 04:42:06PM -0600, Camilo A. Reyes wrote:
> Just a question about displaying the console in 80x50 lines instead of
> 80x30. I have enabled frame buffer but as of now its doing only 80x30.

You need to change the mode at boot (vga=XXX). I'm in 128x48 for example
because my frame buffer is 1024x768 and my font is 8x16. You can also
change your font size. 80x50 is doable with a 8x8 font in 640x400, but it
is not really readable.

Cheers,
Willy

2004-11-06 08:08:34

by jurriaan

From: Camilo A. Reyes <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 04:42:06PM -0600
> Greetings,
>
> Just a question about displaying the console in 80x50 lines instead of 80x30. I have enabled frame buffer but as of now its doing only 80x30.

The combination of resolution and font you use allows you to get 80x30.

Try google, or read more in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/

Good luck,
Jurriaan
--
"You so much as flutter in his direction again," growled Fisher, "and
they'll be using what's left of you for a pipe cleaner."

2004-11-06 18:31:50

by Camilo A. Reyes

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 08:12:45AM +0100, Jurriaan wrote:
> From: Camilo A. Reyes <[email protected]>
> Date: Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 04:42:06PM -0600
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Just a question about displaying the console in 80x50 lines instead of 80x30. I have enabled frame buffer but as of now its doing only 80x30.
>
> The combination of resolution and font you use allows you to get 80x30.
>
> Try google, or read more in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/
>
> Good luck,
> Jurriaan
> --
> "You so much as flutter in his direction again," growled Fisher, "and
> they'll be using what's left of you for a pipe cleaner."
> The faerie winced. "Do you think you could be a little less premenstrual
> about this, darling?"
> Simon R Green - Beyond the Blue Moon
> Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.9-mm1 2x6078 bogomips load 0.40

True, but one of the issues I have is when I choose 8x8 built in character
fonts it comes up 80x50 at the begining of the bootup process, (with a
nice penguin logo too :-D) but then as the system begins to run its services
and mounting its drives it switches back to good old 80x30. :-(

2004-11-06 18:41:20

by Camilo A. Reyes

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 08:39:01AM +0100, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 04:42:06PM -0600, Camilo A. Reyes wrote:
> > Just a question about displaying the console in 80x50 lines instead of
> > 80x30. I have enabled frame buffer but as of now its doing only 80x30.
>
> You need to change the mode at boot (vga=XXX). I'm in 128x48 for example
> because my frame buffer is 1024x768 and my font is 8x16. You can also
> change your font size. 80x50 is doable with a 8x8 font in 640x400, but it
> is not really readable.
>
> Cheers,
> Willy

If I may ask what vga number are you using to set it to 1024x768.
I believe I have tried it before with no success, but I'm willing
to try again.

2004-11-06 19:43:53

by jurriaan

From: Camilo A. Reyes <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 12:41:12PM -0600

> If I may ask what vga number are you using to set it to 1024x768.
> I believe I have tried it before with no success, but I'm willing
> to try again.

Might I again refer you to google?

Searching for 'linux framebuffer 1024x768 vga=' gives me 11.800 hits,
which surely is enough to choose from. Also, this is mentioned in
/usr/src/linux-<whatever version>/Documentation/fb/<somefile, depending
on your framebuffer, which you didn't mention>. Those docs were lovingly
crafted by kernel hackers hoping to answer all the questions users may
have, so it would be a shame not to use them, right?

Good luck,
Jurriaan
--
A seminar on Time Travel will be held two weeks ago.
Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.9-mm1 2x6078 bogomips load 0.05

2004-11-06 21:12:25

by Camilo A. Reyes

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 08:43:43PM +0100, Jurriaan wrote:
> From: Camilo A. Reyes <[email protected]>
> Date: Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 12:41:12PM -0600
> >
> > If I may ask what vga number are you using to set it to 1024x768.
> > I believe I have tried it before with no success, but I'm willing
> > to try again.
>
> Might I again refer you to google?
>
> Searching for 'linux framebuffer 1024x768 vga=' gives me 11.800 hits,
> which surely is enough to choose from. Also, this is mentioned in
> /usr/src/linux-<whatever version>/Documentation/fb/<somefile, depending
> on your framebuffer, which you didn't mention>. Those docs were lovingly
> crafted by kernel hackers hoping to answer all the questions users may
> have, so it would be a shame not to use them, right?
>
> Good luck,
> Jurriaan
> --
> A seminar on Time Travel will be held two weeks ago.
> Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.9-mm1 2x6078 bogomips load 0.05

Actually I knew what the answer to that question was, its 795 for 1024x768
and 32 bpp, I was just asking to check for consistency. :-P Anyhow, that
documentation talks about using fbset, I gave that a shot and now my entire
tty is dead. :-( It also mentions lots of bugs, hmmm not sure if it's even
worth looking deeper into this. But let me set up some kernel parameters
and restart my system to see what happens, I always refrain from restarting
the system, but oh well.

BTW, my framebuffer its the aty128fb.

2004-11-06 22:59:32

by Camilo A. Reyes

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 03:12:22PM -0600, Camilo A. Reyes wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 08:43:43PM +0100, Jurriaan wrote:
> > From: Camilo A. Reyes <[email protected]>
> > Date: Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 12:41:12PM -0600
> > >
> > > If I may ask what vga number are you using to set it to 1024x768.
> > > I believe I have tried it before with no success, but I'm willing
> > > to try again.
> >
> > Might I again refer you to google?
> >
> > Searching for 'linux framebuffer 1024x768 vga=' gives me 11.800 hits,
> > which surely is enough to choose from. Also, this is mentioned in
> > /usr/src/linux-<whatever version>/Documentation/fb/<somefile, depending
> > on your framebuffer, which you didn't mention>. Those docs were lovingly
> > crafted by kernel hackers hoping to answer all the questions users may
> > have, so it would be a shame not to use them, right?
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Jurriaan
> > --
> > A seminar on Time Travel will be held two weeks ago.
> > Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.9-mm1 2x6078 bogomips load 0.05
>
> Actually I knew what the answer to that question was, its 795 for 1024x768
> and 32 bpp, I was just asking to check for consistency. :-P Anyhow, that
> documentation talks about using fbset, I gave that a shot and now my entire
> tty is dead. :-( It also mentions lots of bugs, hmmm not sure if it's even
> worth looking deeper into this. But let me set up some kernel parameters
> and restart my system to see what happens, I always refrain from restarting
> the system, but oh well.
>
> BTW, my framebuffer its the aty128fb.
> -

Looks like we have success, I recompiled the kernel with the following options
turned on:

Video mode selection support: y
Select compiled-in fonts:
VGA 8x16 font: y

Then I added this line to my grub.conf file:

video=aty128fb:1028x768 vga=792

Not sure if the vga part makes any difference, my educated guess is that it
doesn't. But this setup will allow for a console that is 129x47 lines. (yay!)

Thanks for the help.

2004-11-07 09:02:28

by Willy Tarreau

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 12:41:12PM -0600, Camilo A. Reyes wrote:

> If I may ask what vga number are you using to set it to 1024x768.
> I believe I have tried it before with no success, but I'm willing
> to try again.

I'm not right now in front of this one, but from memory, I believe I
set "vga=771" in lilo, and 773 should be 1280x1024. That's easy, you
take the mode you want from the documentation (Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt
I believe), you add 0x200 (512) to it and you use this value. So in my
case, 771 = 0x303 = 0x200 + 0x103, which should be the mode for 1024x768x8.

Hope this helps,
Willy

2004-11-07 10:59:14

by Geert Uytterhoeven

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004, Camilo A. Reyes wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 08:12:45AM +0100, Jurriaan wrote:
> > > Just a question about displaying the console in 80x50 lines instead of 80x30. I have enabled frame buffer but as of now its doing only 80x30.
> >
> > The combination of resolution and font you use allows you to get 80x30.
> >
> > Try google, or read more in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/
> >
> > Good luck,
> > Jurriaan
> > --
> > "You so much as flutter in his direction again," growled Fisher, "and
> > they'll be using what's left of you for a pipe cleaner."
> > The faerie winced. "Do you think you could be a little less premenstrual
> > about this, darling?"
> > Simon R Green - Beyond the Blue Moon
> > Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.9-mm1 2x6078 bogomips load 0.40
>
> True, but one of the issues I have is when I choose 8x8 built in character
> fonts it comes up 80x50 at the begining of the bootup process, (with a
> nice penguin logo too :-D) but then as the system begins to run its services
> and mounting its drives it switches back to good old 80x30. :-(

Hence one of the startup scripts loads the 8x16 font again...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

-- Linus Torvalds

2004-11-07 19:27:12

by Camilo A. Reyes

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 11:58:56AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > > The combination of resolution and font you use allows you to get 80x30.
> > >
> > > Try google, or read more in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/
> > >
> > > Good luck,
> > > Jurriaan
> > > --
> > > "You so much as flutter in his direction again," growled Fisher, "and
> > > they'll be using what's left of you for a pipe cleaner."
> > > The faerie winced. "Do you think you could be a little less premenstrual
> > > about this, darling?"
> > > Simon R Green - Beyond the Blue Moon
> > > Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.9-mm1 2x6078 bogomips load 0.40
> >
> > True, but one of the issues I have is when I choose 8x8 built in character
> > fonts it comes up 80x50 at the begining of the bootup process, (with a
> > nice penguin logo too :-D) but then as the system begins to run its services
> > and mounting its drives it switches back to good old 80x30. :-(
>
> Hence one of the startup scripts loads the 8x16 font again...
>
> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
> Geert
>
> --
> Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]
>
> In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
> when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
> -- Linus Torvalds

Very good point this Red Hat distro is becoming a hassle little by little...