2004-11-08 08:42:07

by Geert Uytterhoeven

Subject: bk-commits: diff -p?

Hi Larry,

Would it be possible to enable the `-p' option (Show which C function each
change is in) of diff for all patches sent to the bk-commits-* mailing lists?

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

-- Linus Torvalds

2004-11-08 17:01:04

by David Woodhouse

Subject: Re: bk-commits: diff -p?

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 09:41 +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> Would it be possible to enable the `-p' option (Show which C function each
> change is in) of diff for all patches sent to the bk-commits-* mailing lists?

I did consider that but 'bk diffs -up' gives a context diff, not a
unified diff.

--
dwmw2

2004-11-08 17:15:58

by Larry McVoy

This has been fixed in the following releases:

bk-3.2.3
bk-3.2.2c
bk-3.2.2b

Correct usage is "bk diffs -up" which will get you unified + procedural diffs.
-p is currently a hack, it implies -u, but don't depend on that behaviour,
a future release does this correctly and if you teach your fingers that
diffs -p is the same as diffs -up you'll get burned later.

--
---
Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com http://www.bitkeeper.com

2004-11-08 17:07:16

by David Woodhouse

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 17:16 +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 09:41 +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > Would it be possible to enable the `-p' option (Show which C function each
> > > change is in) of diff for all patches sent to the bk-commits-* mailing lists?
> >
> > I did consider that but 'bk diffs -up' gives a context diff, not a
> > unified diff.
>
> So it's a `regression' of bk diffs vs. GNU diff?

Possibly. Certainly it's the reason my export scripts don't use -p. If
it's deemed a bug and once it's 'fixed' on kernel.org, we can change
that.

--
dwmw2

2004-11-08 18:07:01

by Geert Uytterhoeven

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 09:41 +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > Would it be possible to enable the `-p' option (Show which C function each
> > change is in) of diff for all patches sent to the bk-commits-* mailing lists?
>
> I did consider that but 'bk diffs -up' gives a context diff, not a
> unified diff.

So it's a `regression' of bk diffs vs. GNU diff?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

-- Linus Torvalds

2004-11-09 23:49:42

by David Woodhouse

On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 08:43 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> This has been fixed in the following releases:
>
> bk-3.2.3
> bk-3.2.2c
> bk-3.2.2b
>
> Correct usage is "bk diffs -up" which will get you unified + procedural diffs.
> -p is currently a hack, it implies -u, but don't depend on that behaviour,
> a future release does this correctly and if you teach your fingers that
> diffs -p is the same as diffs -up you'll get burned later.

Actually my script is using 'bk export -du -tpatch -r$CSET'. '-dup'
doesn't seem to do the right thing.

--
dwmw2

2004-11-10 08:49:54

by Jens Axboe

On Mon, Nov 08 2004, Larry McVoy wrote:
> This has been fixed in the following releases:
>
> bk-3.2.3
> bk-3.2.2c
> bk-3.2.2b
>
> Correct usage is "bk diffs -up" which will get you unified + procedural diffs.
> -p is currently a hack, it implies -u, but don't depend on that behaviour,
> a future release does this correctly and if you teach your fingers that
> diffs -p is the same as diffs -up you'll get burned later.

Thanks! I requested this about a year ago :-)

--
Jens Axboe

2004-11-10 15:11:08

by Larry McVoy

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 11:41:52PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 08:43 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > This has been fixed in the following releases:
> >
> > bk-3.2.3
> > bk-3.2.2c
> > bk-3.2.2b
> >
> > Correct usage is "bk diffs -up" which will get you unified + procedural diffs.
> > -p is currently a hack, it implies -u, but don't depend on that behaviour,
> > a future release does this correctly and if you teach your fingers that
> > diffs -p is the same as diffs -up you'll get burned later.
>
> Actually my script is using 'bk export -du -tpatch -r$CSET'. '-dup'
> doesn't seem to do the right thing.

OK, this is a hack but I think you can make it work. Try moving
`bk bin`/diff `bk bin`/diff.orig and putting in a shell
script for `bk bin`/diff that just adds $BK_GNU_DIFF_OPTS to the
options and execs `bk bin`/diff.orig
--
---
Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com http://www.bitkeeper.com

2004-11-10 15:18:19

by David Woodhouse

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 07:06 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> OK, this is a hack but I think you can make it work. Try moving
> `bk bin`/diff `bk bin`/diff.orig and putting in a shell
> script for `bk bin`/diff that just adds $BK_GNU_DIFF_OPTS to the
> options and execs `bk bin`/diff.orig

This would need to be done on kernel.org. Since it's a relatively low
priority, I think I'd rather wait for it to be fixed (if you're actually
going to fix it).

I suppose I could install my own version of BK, but I'd rather just
wait, to be honest.

--
dwmw2