2004-11-14 17:34:40

by mahashakti89

Subject: Syscontrol activation = problem on boot

Hi !

This is my first post on this list, and I could need some help
to know if I made something wrong or if it is a bug ....

I compiled a new kernel and activated following option

General Setup > Sysctrl Support

in order to be able to use hotplug , udev .....

But on boot I become following error message concerning
my second harddisk (/dev/hdb) which is dedicated to my
old Win2k system :

Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: hdb: read_intr: status=0x59 {
DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }

> Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: hdb: read_intr: error=0x04 {
DriveStatusError }
> Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdb,
sector 78172098
> Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: Buffer I/O error on device hdb5,
logical block 61785735

it can last two or three minutes and then I have accsess to my
Gnome Desktop.

This arrives on a 2.6.7 or 2.6.9 kernel if I try to activate Sysctrl
in General Setup, if I deactivate it, I have not such error messages ....

To resume it : Is it a bug ? Or did I make something wrong ? Forget some
options ?

System : Pentium 4 2,8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P4P 800
Chipset I865PE
and two Maxtor ATA-Harddisks

Thanks for helping

mahahshakti89

Please Cc your answers to [email protected]

2004-11-14 17:48:28

by Norbert van Nobelen

Subject: Re: Syscontrol activation = problem on boot

I have similar errors, but they don't give me any problems (except that it
looks bad).
Can you mount and use the harddisk?

Regards,

Norbert

On Sunday 14 November 2004 18:35, mahashakti89 wrote:
> Hi !
>
> This is my first post on this list, and I could need some help
> to know if I made something wrong or if it is a bug ....
>
> I compiled a new kernel and activated following option
>
> General Setup > Sysctrl Support
>
> in order to be able to use hotplug , udev .....
>
> But on boot I become following error message concerning
> my second harddisk (/dev/hdb) which is dedicated to my
> old Win2k system :
>
> Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: hdb: read_intr: status=0x59 {
> DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
>
> > Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: hdb: read_intr: error=0x04 {
>
> DriveStatusError }
>
> > Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> > Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdb,
>
> sector 78172098
>
> > Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: Buffer I/O error on device hdb5,
>
> logical block 61785735
>
> it can last two or three minutes and then I have accsess to my
> Gnome Desktop.
>
> This arrives on a 2.6.7 or 2.6.9 kernel if I try to activate Sysctrl
> in General Setup, if I deactivate it, I have not such error messages ....
>
> To resume it : Is it a bug ? Or did I make something wrong ? Forget some
> options ?
>

> System : Pentium 4 2,8Ghz
> Motherboard Asus P4P 800
> Chipset I865PE
> and two Maxtor ATA-Harddisks
>
> Thanks for helping
>
> mahahshakti89
>
> Please Cc your answers to [email protected]
> -

by Jan Engelhardt

> Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: hdb: read_intr: status=0x59 {
>DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
> > Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: hdb: read_intr: error=0x04 {
>DriveStatusError }
> > Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> > Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdb,
>sector 78172098
> > Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: Buffer I/O error on device hdb5,
>logical block 61785735

Looks like an old harddisk that does not understand an IDE command.

>it can last two or three minutes and then I have accsess to my
>Gnome Desktop.

Do you think that's normal? I can come up in less than 60 secs. (80x25), so I
presume boting X does not take much more time than 3 minutes.
What do you mean by "last"? Does the error message stay there and the box is
like, idle? No other stuff scrolling through?

>This arrives on a 2.6.7 or 2.6.9 kernel if I try to activate Sysctrl
>in General Setup, if I deactivate it, I have not such error messages ....

Well, error message there or not -- I suspect it to be the hard disk.
Take it out (i.e. remove IDE cable) and reboot Linux.
If it takes the same amount of time to bootup, the hard disk is probably fine.
Ignore the warnings then.

> and two Maxtor ATA-Harddisks

Jan Engelhardt
--
Gesellschaft für Wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung
Am Fassberg, 37077 Göttingen, http://www.gwdg.de

2004-11-14 18:39:29

by mahashakti89

Norbert van Nobelen a ?crit :
> I have similar errors, but they don't give me any problems (except that it
> looks bad).
> Can you mount and use the harddisk?

Yes !
No problems

> Regards,
>
> Norbert
>
> On Sunday 14 November 2004 18:35, mahashakti89 wrote:
>

>>But on boot I become following error message concerning
>>my second harddisk (/dev/hdb) which is dedicated to my
>>old Win2k system :
>>
>> Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: hdb: read_intr: status=0x59 {
>>DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
>>
>> > Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: hdb: read_intr: error=0x04 {
>>
>>DriveStatusError }
>>
>> > Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>> > Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdb,
>>
>>sector 78172098
>>
>> > Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: Buffer I/O error on device hdb5,
>>
>>logical block 61785735
>>
>>it can last two or three minutes and then I have accsess to my
>>Gnome Desktop.
>>
>>This arrives on a 2.6.7 or 2.6.9 kernel if I try to activate Sysctrl
>>in General Setup, if I deactivate it, I have not such error messages ....
>>
>>To resume it : Is it a bug ? Or did I make something wrong ? Forget some
>>options ?
>>

>>System : Pentium 4 2,8Ghz
>> Motherboard Asus P4P 800
>> Chipset I865PE
>> and two Maxtor ATA-Harddisks

2004-11-14 18:44:15

by mahashakti89

Jan Engelhardt a ?crit :
>> Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: hdb: read_intr: status=0x59 {
>>DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
>>
>>>Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: hdb: read_intr: error=0x04 {
>>
>>DriveStatusError }
>>
>>>Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>>>Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdb,
>>
>>sector 78172098
>>
>>>Nov 12 19:15:13 ishwara kernel: Buffer I/O error on device hdb5,
>>
>>logical block 61785735
>

> Looks like an old harddisk that does not understand an IDE command.
>

>>it can last two or three minutes and then I have accsess to my
>>Gnome Desktop.
>

> Do you think that's normal? I can come up in less than 60 secs. (80x25), so I
> presume boting X does not take much more time than 3 minutes.
> What do you mean by "last"?

It lasts for two or three minutes -sorry my english ...
Does the error message stay there and the box is
> like, idle? No other stuff scrolling through?

Its scrolling the same message for two minutes and what I have posted is
the end of the message, then I am logging into X.