2004-11-17 07:16:22

by Robin H. Johnson

Subject: Ksymoops and objdump/nm complain 'File format is ambiguous' - Patch included

(I wrote this ~5 months ago, sent it to the author in August, had no
response, resent it to another address for the author in early October,
still had no response, so now I'm posting it here).

Under certain binutils configurations (primarily when multiple targets
are enabled), objdump and nm give an error 'File format is ambiguous'
and require explicit specification of the target after listing the
possible options. This break ksymoops badly.

I've attached a patch that explicitly passes the --target option to nm
and objdump to resolve this issue. Also included is an extra section for
INSTALL on using ksymoops on non-native kernels without having a
complete cross-development suite installed.

Please CC your responses, I'm not on the list (but I do follow the
archives).

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : [email protected]

(No filename) (0.00 B)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Keith Owens

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:10:15 -0800,
"Robin H. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Under certain binutils configurations (primarily when multiple targets
>are enabled), objdump and nm give an error 'File format is ambiguous'
>and require explicit specification of the target after listing the
>possible options. This break ksymoops badly.
>
>I've attached a patch ...

Patch included in ksymoops 2.4.10, thanks.

ftp://ftp.<country>.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/ksymoops/v2.4