2004-11-16 12:47:00

by Srihari Vijayaraghavan

Subject: [BUG] Kernel disables DMA on RICOH CD-R/RW

As of 2.6.9-rc4 (I have verified this to be case all
the way up to 2.6.10-rc2), kernel displays this
message:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision:
7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes;
override with idebus=xx
VP_IDE: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:0f.1
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:0f.1[A] -> GSI 20 (level,
low) -> IRQ 20
VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
VP_IDE: VIA vt8237 (rev 00) IDE UDMA133 controller on
pci0000:00:0f.1
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xcc00-0xcc07, BIOS settings:
hda:DMA, hdb:pio
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xcc08-0xcc0f, BIOS settings:
hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
Probing IDE interface ide0...
hda: ST3120026A, ATA DISK drive
Using anticipatory io scheduler
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
Probing IDE interface ide1...
hdc: Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-113 0113, ATAPI
CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: RICOH CD-R/RW MP7083A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: Disabling (U)DMA for RICOH CD-R/RW MP7083A
(blacklisted)

The kernel disables DMA on the CD-R/RW (/dev/hdd) and
of course it would not let me enable it manually
either. Up until 2.6.9-rc3 the drive worked in DMA
mode just fine.

(I have been using this drive for more than 4 years. I
have used it under 2.2.x, 2.4.x, >=2.5.50 in DMA mode
just fine. Although I have changed everything else in
the computer in those long years: CPU, M/B, RAM, HDD
etc., save this great CD-R/RW drive, which has been
working fine.)

So the question is: why?
(And what can I do to enable DMA again?)

Thank you.
Hari.

PS: Please cc me on reply, since I am not subscribed
to LKML.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com

Subject: Re: [BUG] Kernel disables DMA on RICOH CD-R/RW

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:46:56 +1100 (EST), Srihari Vijayaraghavan
<[email protected]> wrote:
> As of 2.6.9-rc4 (I have verified this to be case all
> the way up to 2.6.10-rc2), kernel displays this
> message:
>
> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision:
> 7.00alpha2
> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes;
> override with idebus=xx
> VP_IDE: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:0f.1
> ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:0f.1[A] -> GSI 20 (level,
> low) -> IRQ 20
> VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
> VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> VP_IDE: VIA vt8237 (rev 00) IDE UDMA133 controller on
> pci0000:00:0f.1
> ide0: BM-DMA at 0xcc00-0xcc07, BIOS settings:
> hda:DMA, hdb:pio
> ide1: BM-DMA at 0xcc08-0xcc0f, BIOS settings:
> hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
> Probing IDE interface ide0...
> hda: ST3120026A, ATA DISK drive
> Using anticipatory io scheduler
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> Probing IDE interface ide1...
> hdc: Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-113 0113, ATAPI
> CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdd: RICOH CD-R/RW MP7083A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdd: Disabling (U)DMA for RICOH CD-R/RW MP7083A
> (blacklisted)
>
> The kernel disables DMA on the CD-R/RW (/dev/hdd) and
> of course it would not let me enable it manually
> either. Up until 2.6.9-rc3 the drive worked in DMA
> mode just fine.
>
> (I have been using this drive for more than 4 years. I
> have used it under 2.2.x, 2.4.x, >=2.5.50 in DMA mode
> just fine. Although I have changed everything else in
> the computer in those long years: CPU, M/B, RAM, HDD
> etc., save this great CD-R/RW drive, which has been
> working fine.)
>
> So the question is: why?
> (And what can I do to enable DMA again?)

Previously VIA IDE driver ignored DMA blacklists completely
(which was of course wrong), it was fixed.

Probably this drive should be removed from the blacklist.
Does anybody remember why was it added there?

Bartlomiej

2004-11-17 17:27:14

by Alan

On Maw, 2004-11-16 at 13:01, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> Previously VIA IDE driver ignored DMA blacklists completely
> (which was of course wrong), it was fixed.
>
> Probably this drive should be removed from the blacklist.
> Does anybody remember why was it added there?

As I said before almost all of our blacklist is junk from when the IDE
ATAPI DMA bug wasn't fixed.

2004-11-17 22:15:20

by Srihari Vijayaraghavan

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:06 am, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17 2004, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Maw, 2004-11-16 at 13:01, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > > Previously VIA IDE driver ignored DMA blacklists completely
> > > (which was of course wrong), it was fixed.
> > >
> > > Probably this drive should be removed from the blacklist.
> > > Does anybody remember why was it added there?
> >
> > As I said before almost all of our blacklist is junk from when the IDE
> > ATAPI DMA bug wasn't fixed.
>
> I sure don't remember why, so sounds plausible.

Could you please accept this patch? (against vanilla 2.6.10-rc2)

I have tested my RICOH CD-R/RW with this patch (on CD Reading/Writing), and it
works just fine with DMA enabled.

(Unfortunately I do not have any other drive in the DMA disabled list, and
hence I could not test for them.)

Thank you.
Hari.

Attachments:
(No filename) (863.00 B)
patch-ide-dma-for-ricoh (420.00 B)
Download all attachments

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:16:27 +1100, Srihari Vijayaraghavan
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:06 am, Jens Axboe wrote:

> > > As I said before almost all of our blacklist is junk from when the IDE
> > > ATAPI DMA bug wasn't fixed.
> >
> > I sure don't remember why, so sounds plausible.
>
> Could you please accept this patch? (against vanilla 2.6.10-rc2)
>
> I have tested my RICOH CD-R/RW with this patch (on CD Reading/Writing), and it
> works just fine with DMA enabled.
>
> (Unfortunately I do not have any other drive in the DMA disabled list, and
> hence I could not test for them.)

applied

2004-11-17 21:59:46

by Jens Axboe