2005-01-03 21:46:42

by Jerome Lacoste

Subject: 50% CPU user usage but top doesn't list any CPU unfriendly task

Hi,

on a fairly old box used as a desktop (PII 300 Mhz with 196M RAM), I
observe the following strange behavior which I believe comes from the
kernel.

There's a VoIP known 'P2P' closed source application running, an IP
tables based firewall and a remote ssh session initiated. When using
top, sorting by CPU usage, no program is using more than a couple of
percent of CPU. On the other side, the total CPU user time is at
around 40%, with a 1.5 load average. Memory looks OK. The machine is
responsive as usual.

So I wonder why the cpu user time is at 40% without any particular
program showing as using CPU in the top listing. 'Problem' was
reproducible with 2.4.x and now with 2.6.8.1.

So it this a real problem or is there something that I don't
understand in particular? Thanks for the insight.

Jerome

2005-01-04 07:51:39

by Norbert van Nobelen

The load and the CPU useage are two separate things:
Load: Defined by a programmer on an estimate on which his program is running
100% fulltime, thus consuming little or more CPU/IO.
The interesting program you mention is the VoIP application. Is this program
multithreaded and is every thread using a little bit of CPU? Than it quickly
adds up to the mentioned 40%. The load is than also easily reached.

On Monday 03 January 2005 22:46, jerome lacoste wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on a fairly old box used as a desktop (PII 300 Mhz with 196M RAM), I
> observe the following strange behavior which I believe comes from the
> kernel.
>
> There's a VoIP known 'P2P' closed source application running, an IP
> tables based firewall and a remote ssh session initiated. When using
> top, sorting by CPU usage, no program is using more than a couple of
> percent of CPU. On the other side, the total CPU user time is at
> around 40%, with a 1.5 load average. Memory looks OK. The machine is
> responsive as usual.
>
> So I wonder why the cpu user time is at 40% without any particular
> program showing as using CPU in the top listing. 'Problem' was
> reproducible with 2.4.x and now with 2.6.8.1.
>
> So it this a real problem or is there something that I don't
> understand in particular? Thanks for the insight.
>
> Jerome
> -

by Jerome Lacoste

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 08:51:23 +0100, Norbert van Nobelen
<[email protected]> wrote:
> The load and the CPU useage are two separate things:
> Load: Defined by a programmer on an estimate on which his program is running
> 100% fulltime, thus consuming little or more CPU/IO.
> The interesting program you mention is the VoIP application. Is this program
> multithreaded and is every thread using a little bit of CPU? Than it quickly
> adds up to the mentioned 40%.

There are some threads in that app, not that many, and none show in
the top listing (which displays at least 30 entries). So I don't think
this sum scenario is valid.

>The load is than also easily reached.

2005-01-05 11:16:37

by Toon van der Pas

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 11:43:39AM +0100, jerome lacoste wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 08:51:23 +0100, Norbert van Nobelen
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The load and the CPU useage are two separate things:
> > Load: Defined by a programmer on an estimate on which his program is running
> > 100% fulltime, thus consuming little or more CPU/IO.
> > The interesting program you mention is the VoIP application. Is this program
> > multithreaded and is every thread using a little bit of CPU? Than it quickly
> > adds up to the mentioned 40%.
>
> There are some threads in that app, not that many, and none show in
> the top listing (which displays at least 30 entries). So I don't think
> this sum scenario is valid.

The correct display of threaded processes in top should be fixed by
the combination of procps-3.2.4 and the linux-2.6.10 kernel.
This according to the text in the announcement of procps-3.2.4.
I didn't test it yet, though.

Regards,
Toon.