2005-01-05 13:54:11

by Sujeet Kumar

Subject: data rescue

I ran
blockdev -v --rereadpt ....
on my harddisk .
It gave re-read partition succeded. Then after rebooting the machine it
shows no partitions.

I tried running linux-rescue from bootable disk and it shows no valid
partition table.
How do i rescue my data . Tell me what rereadpt basically does

http://www.patni.com

kindly delete this e-mail from your records. If it appears that this
us immediately at [email protected] and delete this mail.

(No filename) (1.10 kB)

2005-01-05 14:18:39

by Robin Rosenberg

Subject: Re: data rescue

onsdagen den 5 januari 2005 14.59 skrev Sujeet Kumar:
> I ran
> blockdev -v --rereadpt ....
> on my harddisk .
> It gave re-read partition succeded. Then after rebooting the machine it
> shows no partitions.
>
> I tried running linux-rescue from bootable disk and it shows no valid
> partition table.
> How do i rescue my data .
gpart can recover partition tables. I used it to recover a failed disk where
the extended partitions were screwed due to a disk failure. Every attempt to
restore the tables on disk failed. The partion table grew stranger each time,
but I could recover data from a disk image.

> Tell me what rereadpt basically does
no idea other than the man page....,sorry.

-- robin

2005-01-05 20:31:57

by kernel

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 09:18, Robin Rosenberg wrote:
> > I tried running linux-rescue from bootable disk and it shows no valid
> > partition table.
> > How do i rescue my data .

In addition to 'gpart' you can try 'rescuept' which is part of
util-linux collection. Each of these may rescue your corrupt partition
table.

Do you have any idea of the partitioning schema? Number of partitions,
size, etc.?

If both fail to reconstruct the partition table you can work with a
forensic utility such as SMART for Linux (http://www.asrdata.com) or The Sleuth
Kit (http://www.sleuthkit.org) to recover your files. Depending upon the FS
TYPE(s) you may even get deleted files back.

No matter though, once you get everything worked out back up your
partition table using 'sfdisk' and/or dd and dump that to a safe place
(external media) so that if this happens in future you can reconstruct
easily!

-fd