Subject: help

Hi
can any one list current problems in hotplug of FC-HBA on PCI Express under
kernel 2.6.8?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks and Best Regards

Bhupesh Kumar Pandey

Member Technical Staff

__ _

/ / (_)__ __ ____ __

/ /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /

/____/_/_//_/\___/ /_/\_\

System Software <outbind://10/main_files/image001.jpg>

G: A-11, Sec-16, Noida ': 9891968828, 2510701:3124

2005-01-11 15:18:38

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: help

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 07:58:26PM +0530, Bhupesh Kumar Pandey, Noida wrote:

> Hi
> can any one list current problems in hotplug of FC-HBA on PCI Express under
> kernel 2.6.8?

I don't wish to be annoying, but you have been asking this same question
for a while now. You were told that this should work, and for you to
report any issues that you found. So, I'm guessing that you have not
yet actually tried this out? Why not?

greg k-h

Actually My problem is to report the current problems in hotplugging of
FC-HBA on PCI Express for kernel 2.6.8 and don't have the hardware, I have
studied the code, searched and studied the documents available in the
internet, but I am not able to conclude. That is why I thought of taking
help from you experienced people.
I think now the problem is clear to you.
Please help me.

Thanks and Best Regards
Bhupesh Kumar Pandey

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 07:58:26PM +0530, Bhupesh Kumar Pandey, Noida wrote:

> Hi
> can any one list current problems in hotplug of FC-HBA on PCI Express
> under kernel 2.6.8?

I don't wish to be annoying, but you have been asking this same question for
a while now. You were told that this should work, and for you to report any
issues that you found. So, I'm guessing that you have not yet actually
tried this out? Why not?

greg k-h

2005-01-11 16:01:54

by Greg KH

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 09:06:08PM +0530, Bhupesh Kumar Pandey, Noida wrote:

> Actually My problem is to report the current problems in hotplugging of
> FC-HBA on PCI Express for kernel 2.6.8 and don't have the hardware, I have
> studied the code, searched and studied the documents available in the
> internet, but I am not able to conclude. That is why I thought of taking
> help from you experienced people.
> I think now the problem is clear to you.

No, the problem is not clear to me. I think it works just fine. Why do
you think it doesn't?

greg k-h

2005-01-11 16:07:31

by Erik Mouw

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 09:06:08PM +0530, Bhupesh Kumar Pandey, Noida wrote:
> Actually My problem is to report the current problems in hotplugging of
> FC-HBA on PCI Express for kernel 2.6.8 and don't have the hardware, I have
> studied the code, searched and studied the documents available in the
> internet, but I am not able to conclude. That is why I thought of taking
> help from you experienced people.
> I think now the problem is clear to you.
> Please help me.

"It should work" means "there are currently no known problems".

You could ask the same question every single day, but it's much less
annoying for the lkml subscribers if you just follow the relevant
mailing lists.

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- http://www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --
| A: Because people read from top to bottom.
| Q: Why is top posting bad?

2005-01-11 17:03:19

by Theodore Ts'o

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 09:06:08PM +0530, Bhupesh Kumar Pandey, Noida wrote:
> >
> > Actually My problem is to report the current problems in hotplugging of
> > FC-HBA on PCI Express for kernel 2.6.8 and don't have the hardware, I have
> > studied the code, searched and studied the documents available in the
> > internet, but I am not able to conclude. That is why I thought of taking
> > help from you experienced people.
> > I think now the problem is clear to you.
>
> No, the problem is not clear to me. I think it works just fine. Why do
> you think it doesn't?

The problem here is that he doesn't know whether or not it works, but
instead of doing something sensible, like googling for problem
reports, he's being really annoying on the mailing list, hoping
someone else will do his work assignment for him.

- Ted