2005-01-20 02:20:35

by Narayan Desai

Subject: intel8x0 and 2.6.11-rc1

Attachments:
(No filename) (506.00 B)
.config (32.74 kB)
.config

by Takashi Iwai

Subject: Re: intel8x0 and 2.6.11-rc1

At Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:19:05 -0600,
Narayan Desai wrote:

> I am running 2.6.11-rc1 (patched with software suspend2) and no longer
> get any sound output from my sound card. My old kernel 2.6.10 (with
> slightly older software suspend 2 patches) works perfectly. the
> hardware is recognized, and it appears to work, other than the lack
> out of output. I have also checked the standard volume levels type
> stuff. Updating to the latest alsa bk patch (from 2.6.11-rc1-mm1)
> doesn't fix it. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? my
> .config is attached. thanks..

If you have "Headphone Jack Sense" mixer control, try to turn it off.

Takashi

2005-01-20 15:22:30

by David Gómez

Hi Narayan ;),

On Jan 19 at 08:19:05, Narayan Desai wrote:
> I am running 2.6.11-rc1 (patched with software suspend2) and no longer
> get any sound output from my sound card. My old kernel 2.6.10 (with
> slightly older software suspend 2 patches) works perfectly. the
> hardware is recognized, and it appears to work, other than the lack
> out of output. I have also checked the standard volume levels type
> stuff. Updating to the latest alsa bk patch (from 2.6.11-rc1-mm1)
> doesn't fix it. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Check that the driver snd_i8x0m (for the modem) is not being loaded.
Although i don't think this is your problem because is broken too in
2.6.10...

regards,

--
David Gómez Jabber ID: [email protected]

2005-01-20 15:46:56

by Narayan Desai

Takashi> At Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:19:05 -0600,
Takashi> Narayan Desai wrote:

>> I am running 2.6.11-rc1 (patched with software suspend2) and no
>> longer get any sound output from my sound card. My old kernel
>> 2.6.10 (with slightly older software suspend 2 patches) works
>> perfectly. the hardware is recognized, and it appears to work,
>> other than the lack out of output. I have also checked the
>> standard volume levels type stuff. Updating to the latest alsa
>> bk patch (from 2.6.11-rc1-mm1) doesn't fix it. Can anyone suggest
>> what the problem might be? my .config is attached. thanks..

Takashi> If you have "Headphone Jack Sense" mixer control, try to
Takashi> turn it off.

That did the trick. thanks..
-nld

2005-01-20 15:59:28

by Narayan Desai

Takashi> At Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:46:23 -0600,

Takashi> At Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:19:05 -0600,

Takashi> If you have "Headphone Jack Sense" mixer control, try to
Takashi> turn it off.

>> That did the trick. thanks..

Takashi> Glad to hear that. What machine do you have?

ibm thinkpad t41p.
-nld

2005-01-20 15:58:44

by Takashi Iwai

Narayan Desai wrote:

> Takashi> At Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:19:05 -0600,
> Takashi> Narayan Desai wrote:
> >>
> >> I am running 2.6.11-rc1 (patched with software suspend2) and no
> >> longer get any sound output from my sound card. My old kernel
> >> 2.6.10 (with slightly older software suspend 2 patches) works
> >> perfectly. the hardware is recognized, and it appears to work,
> >> other than the lack out of output. I have also checked the
> >> standard volume levels type stuff. Updating to the latest alsa
> >> bk patch (from 2.6.11-rc1-mm1) doesn't fix it. Can anyone suggest
> >> what the problem might be? my .config is attached. thanks..
>
> Takashi> If you have "Headphone Jack Sense" mixer control, try to
> Takashi> turn it off.
>
> That did the trick. thanks..

Glad to hear that. What machine do you have?

Takashi

2005-01-21 00:20:13

by Paul Ionescu

Hi Takashi,

The same applies for IBM T40/T41/R50p I have tested so far.
I had to disable "Headphone Jack Sense" and "Line Jack Sense" too.
So, what's the deal with these ?
What are they supposed to do ?
Should we report this as bug on alsa lists ?

Thanks,
Paul

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:55:55 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>> If you have "Headphone Jack Sense" mixer control,
>> try to turn it off.
>>
>> That did the trick. thanks..
>
> Glad to hear that. What machine do you have?

2005-01-21 10:57:51

by Takashi Iwai

At Fri, 21 Jan 2005 02:16:49 +0200,
Paul Ionescu wrote:

> Hi Takashi,
>
> The same applies for IBM T40/T41/R50p I have tested so far.
> I had to disable "Headphone Jack Sense" and "Line Jack Sense" too.
> So, what's the deal with these ?
> What are they supposed to do ?

These switches enable the automatic mute when the corresponding jack
is plugged. On machines like HP and Fujitsu need this switch on to
avoid the sound from the internal speaker when you connect to HP
jack. AFAIK, Thinkpads conflict with them.

> Should we report this as bug on alsa lists ?

This was already fixed on ALSA tree.

Takashi