2005-03-02 11:43:54

by Kristian Sørensen

Subject: UserMode bug in 2.6.11-rc5?

Hi!

I've just tried usermode Linux with a 2.6.11-rc5 kernel. My kernel boots, but
when the shell is to be spawned it freezes:
----
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
Starting system log daemon: syslogd.
Starting kernel log daemon: klogd.
Starting internet superserver: inetd.
Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd.
Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.
INIT: Id "0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "c" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
----

I've attached the .config for both 2.6.10 (working perfectly) and the one for
2.6.11-rc5. The root filesystem this:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/user-mode-linux/Debian-3.0r0.ext2.bz2

Best regards,
Kristian.

--
Kristian S?rensen
- The Umbrella Project -- Security for Consumer Electronics

E-mail: [email protected], Phone: +45 29723816

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.00 kB)
DOTconfig-2.6.10_um (8.81 kB)
DOTconfig-2.6.11-rc5_um (9.26 kB)

by Christophe Lucas

Subject: Re: UserMode bug in 2.6.11-rc5?

Kristian S?rensen ([email protected]) wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've just tried usermode Linux with a 2.6.11-rc5 kernel. My kernel boots, but
> when the shell is to be spawned it freezes:
> ----
> INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
> Starting system log daemon: syslogd.
> Starting kernel log daemon: klogd.
> Starting internet superserver: inetd.
> Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd.
> Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.
> INIT: Id "0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "c" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
> ----
>
> I've attached the .config for both 2.6.10 (working perfectly) and the one for
> 2.6.11-rc5. The root filesystem this:
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/user-mode-linux/Debian-3.0r0.ext2.bz2

Hi,

What do you have in your /etc/inittab of your root_fs ?
I think you sould replace tty0 by vc/0 such as.

I have had this on a kernel 2.6.10 and debian-3.1 root_fs.

~Christophe

2005-03-02 13:59:36

by Kristian Sørensen

Subject: Re: UserMode bug in 2.6.11-rc5? autolearn=disabled version=3.0.2

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 14:45, Christophe Lucas wrote:
> Kristian S?rensen ([email protected]) wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've just tried usermode Linux with a 2.6.11-rc5 kernel. My kernel boots,
> > but when the shell is to be spawned it freezes:
> > ----
> > INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
> > Starting system log daemon: syslogd.
> > Starting kernel log daemon: klogd.
> > Starting internet superserver: inetd.
> > Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd.
> > Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.
> > INIT: Id "0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: Id "c" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
> > ----
> >
> > I've attached the .config for both 2.6.10 (working perfectly) and the one
> > for 2.6.11-rc5. The root filesystem this:
> > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/user-mode-linux/Debian-3.0r0.ext2.bz2
>
> Hi,
>
> What do you have in your /etc/inittab of your root_fs ?
> I think you sould replace tty0 by vc/0 such as.
>
> I have had this on a kernel 2.6.10 and debian-3.1 root_fs.
>
> ~Christophe
Hey! Thanks - that fixed the problem! :-D

Best,
Kristian.

--
Kristian S?rensen
- The Umbrella Project -- Security for Consumer Electronics
http://umbrella.sourceforge.net

E-mail: [email protected], Phone: +45 29723816

2005-03-02 14:05:49

by Kristian Sørensen

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 14:59, Kristian S?rensen wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 March 2005 14:45, Christophe Lucas wrote:
> > Kristian S?rensen ([email protected]) wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I've just tried usermode Linux with a 2.6.11-rc5 kernel. My kernel
> > > boots, but when the shell is to be spawned it freezes:
> > > ----
> > > INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
> > > Starting system log daemon: syslogd.
> > > Starting kernel log daemon: klogd.
> > > Starting internet superserver: inetd.
> > > Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd.
> > > Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.
> > > INIT: Id "0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > > INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > > INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > > INIT: Id "c" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > > INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
> > > ----
> > >
> > > I've attached the .config for both 2.6.10 (working perfectly) and the
> > > one for 2.6.11-rc5. The root filesystem this:
> > > http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/user-mode-linux/Debian-3.0r0.ext2.bz
> > >2
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > What do you have in your /etc/inittab of your root_fs ?
> > I think you sould replace tty0 by vc/0 such as.
> >
> > I have had this on a kernel 2.6.10 and debian-3.1 root_fs.
> >
> > ~Christophe
>
> Hey! Thanks - that fixed the problem! :-D
Damn :-( Now the terminal is ready - but the passwords is not reconized (both
in 2.6.10 and 2.6.11-rc5) :-/

--
Kristian S?rensen
- The Umbrella Project -- Security for Consumer Electronics
http://umbrella.sourceforge.net

E-mail: [email protected], Phone: +45 29723816

2005-03-02 14:27:26

by Christophe Lucas

Kristian S?rensen ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 March 2005 14:59, Kristian S?rensen wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > What do you have in your /etc/inittab of your root_fs ?
> > > I think you sould replace tty0 by vc/0 such as.
> > >
> > > I have had this on a kernel 2.6.10 and debian-3.1 root_fs.
> > >
> > > ~Christophe
> >
> > Hey! Thanks - that fixed the problem! :-D
> Damn :-( Now the terminal is ready - but the passwords is not reconized (both
> in 2.6.10 and 2.6.11-rc5) :-/

/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow is not initialized, more precisely you don't
have the rigth password.
You can have a debian-3.1 root_fs on
http://titux.homeunix.org/~clucas/uml/

But I think we will go on this topic out of this mailing list.
--
~Christophe

2005-03-02 14:31:22

by Jeff Dike

[email protected] said:
> I've just tried usermode Linux with a 2.6.11-rc5 kernel. My kernel
> boots, but when the shell is to be spawned it freezes:

Can you try narrowing the problem down? Start with the 2.6.11-rcx patches
to figure out what -rc broke, and then start figuring out which patch caused
the problem?

Jeff

2005-03-02 16:24:08

by Jeff Dike

[email protected] said:
> Hey! Thanks - that fixed the problem! :-D

Didn't you say this this setup worked with 2.6.10? That's why I didn't suggest
staring at /etc/inittab.

Jeff

2005-03-02 17:09:41

by Kristian Sørensen

On Wednesday 02 March 2005 19:42, Jeff Dike wrote:
> [email protected] said:
> > Hey! Thanks - that fixed the problem! :-D
>
> Didn't you say this this setup worked with 2.6.10? That's why I didn't
> suggest staring at /etc/inittab.
Yes - it works fine with 2.6.10. Does anyone of you know why/where the change
was?

Cheers,
KS.

--
Kristian S?rensen
E-mail: [email protected], Phone: +45 29723816

2005-03-02 18:35:27

by Christophe Lucas

Kristian S?rensen ([email protected]) wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 March 2005 19:42, Jeff Dike wrote:
> > [email protected] said:
> > > Hey! Thanks - that fixed the problem! :-D
> >
> > Didn't you say this this setup worked with 2.6.10? That's why I didn't
> > suggest staring at /etc/inittab.
> Yes - it works fine with 2.6.10. Does anyone of you know why/where the change
> was?

For my part, I have made this changes on a 2.6.9 kernel to make it work
about this problem.

~Christophe