2005-03-05 22:34:02

by Mark Nipper

Subject: hard freeze on vanilla 2.6.11 with reiser3 on x86_64

After much effort, the best I can come up with so far
with CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y and CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK=y is:
---
ReiserFS: hdb6: warning: vs-8301: reiserfs_kmalloc: allocated memory 201464

I'll describe the rest below and I'm attaching multiple
informational files. Let me know if I can try anything else to
help debug this.

The system is a newly installed (as of today) Debian
Sarge x86_64 system. The kernel was compiled from vanilla source
post installation.

Without CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ or CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK
initially, the first sign of trouble was quite some time after I
had the base system installed. I was running a rather large
dselect installation and I was at the point where packages were
being unpacked and configured, so disk access was medium to high.
At some point in this, the machine just froze solid.

I decided to add CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ to try to debug,
recompiled and rebooted, then tried to finish off the
installation via dselect of the last dozen packages or so which
had been aborted due to the last hang. The system hangs again
and I get nothing from SysRq.

I reboot again, check SysRq while the system is running
normally just to make sure the trusty IBM Model M is generating
good codes. Alt+SysRq+[mpt] all show information. All is well
with SysRq under normal conditions. So I finally add
CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK and reboot again.

This time when I run the dselect installation again to
finish off the last dozen packages or so, it seems to finish fine
but throws the error mentioned above. That was it.

Of course, I don't trust the state of the system at this
point anyway as I see lots of unlinking messages from fsck during
previous startups, so I run 'debsums -ca' to check as many
package files as have known MD5 sums, and sure enough, a good
couple or dozen so packages have missing or corrupt files. So I
go ahead and reinstall all of these, and at this point the system
seems happy, albeit with Reiser 3 debugging enabled still.

So I'll keep the system as is for the time being. Let me
know if I can do anything to provide additional debugging
information. It's worth mentioning that no proprietary or other
modules were loaded during any of this and everything else is
static in the kernel.

--
Mark Nipper e-contacts:
4475 Carter Creek Parkway [email protected]

---begin random quote of the moment---
"Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be
happy."
-- H. L. Mencken, _A Book of Burlesques_, "Sententiae", 1920
----end random quote of the moment----

Attachments:
(No filename) (3.00 kB)
dmesg (14.68 kB)