2005-03-07 16:37:20

by Chuck Campbell

Subject: NFS problem in 2.4.21 (RHEL ES 3 upd 2)

I've just built a cluster of dual Opteron boxes, running RHEL 3 update 2
x86_64 OS.

I have problems creating files larger than 2GB on an NFS mounted filesystem.

Creating files larger than this on local filesystems is no problem.

Filesystems are all ext3. Coreutils is version 4.5.3-26.

I can't find any "largefile" flags, etc in nfs, nfsd, rpc.nfsd, rpc.mountd,
exports or exportfs man pages.

Any pointers to other docs, etc. greatly appreciated.

thanks,
-chuck

2005-03-07 18:02:38

by Trond Myklebust

Subject: Re: NFS problem in 2.4.21 (RHEL ES 3 upd 2)

m? den 07.03.2005 Klokka 10:37 (-0600) skreiv Chuck Campbell:
> I've just built a cluster of dual Opteron boxes, running RHEL 3 update 2
> x86_64 OS.
>
> I have problems creating files larger than 2GB on an NFS mounted filesystem.

Are you perhaps using NFSv2? If so, I suggest you try NFSv3, as the
NFSv2 protocol does not support 64-bit file sizes.

Cheers,
Trond
--
Trond Myklebust <[email protected]>

2005-03-07 19:15:24

by Chuck Campbell

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 01:02:27PM -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> m? den 07.03.2005 Klokka 10:37 (-0600) skreiv Chuck Campbell:
> > I've just built a cluster of dual Opteron boxes, running RHEL 3 update 2
> > x86_64 OS.
> >
> > I have problems creating files larger than 2GB on an NFS mounted filesystem.
> >

> Are you perhaps using NFSv2? If so, I suggest you try NFSv3, as the
> NFSv2 protocol does not support 64-bit file sizes.

OK, that fixed it. It certainly wasn't apparent from the docs I plowed
through for the last two days, and I never turned up that gem on Google
either.

Even the NFS-howto didn't point this out, so I'll submit some update info
to them. Sorry for the noise.

-chuck