2005-03-05 20:09:58

by Pavel Machek

Subject: s4bios: does anyone use it?

Hi!

Is there single user of s4bios? It used to work for me 4 notebooks
ago, but I never really used it. I think I'm the only person that ever
seen it working, but I could be wrong. Is there anyone using s4bios in
2.6.11?

If not, I guess we should remove that code from kernel. It is not
usefull, and it is likely broken.
Pavel

by Brice Goglin

Subject: Re: s4bios: does anyone use it?

Pavel Machek a ?crit :
> Hi!
>
> Is there single user of s4bios? It used to work for me 4 notebooks
> ago, but I never really used it. I think I'm the only person that ever
> seen it working, but I could be wrong. Is there anyone using s4bios in
> 2.6.11?
>
> If not, I guess we should remove that code from kernel. It is not
> usefull, and it is likely broken.
> Pavel

Hi Pavel,

I always suspend my Compaq Evo N6OOc to disk using "echo 4b > /proc/acpi/sleep".
I don't remember the reason why I originally did choose this one instead of S4.
I just checked that S4 and S4Bios work the same on 2.6.11-mm1 (even with my
PCMCIA wireless card connected, great!).
From what I remember, I didn't see any difference between S4 and S4Bios in
recent vanilla kernels.

By the way, it seems that Radeon makes suspend slower because it needs
to be blanked or something like that. Is there any way to avoid this ?

Regards

Brice

2005-03-05 21:19:05

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> >Is there single user of s4bios? It used to work for me 4 notebooks
> >ago, but I never really used it. I think I'm the only person that ever
> >seen it working, but I could be wrong. Is there anyone using s4bios in
> >2.6.11?
> >
> >If not, I guess we should remove that code from kernel. It is not
> >usefull, and it is likely broken.
> > Pavel

> I always suspend my Compaq Evo N6OOc to disk using "echo 4b >
> /proc/acpi/sleep".
> I don't remember the reason why I originally did choose this one instead of
> S4.
> I just checked that S4 and S4Bios work the same on 2.6.11-mm1 (even with my
> PCMCIA wireless card connected, great!).
> From what I remember, I didn't see any difference between S4 and S4Bios in
> recent vanilla kernels.

Can you try cat /proc/acpi/sleep? If there's no difference between S4
and S4bios, than you are probably just using plain S4...

> By the way, it seems that Radeon makes suspend slower because it needs
> to be blanked or something like that. Is there any way to avoid this ?

Yes, but it will take quite long to do it properly. pm_message_t
framework needs to go in, first.

Pavel

by Brice Goglin

Pavel Machek a ?crit :
> Can you try cat /proc/acpi/sleep? If there's no difference between S4
> and S4bios, than you are probably just using plain S4...

puligny:~% cat /proc/acpi/sleep
S0 S1 S3 S4 S4bios S5

Where am I suppose to see a difference between S4 and S4Bios here ?

From what I see in acpi_system_write_sleep in drivers/acpi/sleep/proc.c
4 uses software_suspend while 4b uses acpi_suspend(4)
(SOFTWARE_SUSPEND is set in my .config)
Is this code the right one ?

/* Check for S4 bios request */
if (!strcmp(str,"4b")) {
error = acpi_suspend(4);
goto Done;
}
state = simple_strtoul(str, NULL, 0);
#ifdef CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND
if (state == 4) {
error = software_suspend();
goto Done;
}
#endif
error = acpi_suspend(state);

> Yes, but it will take quite long to do it properly. pm_message_t
> framework needs to go in, first.

Ok, great! I'll be happy to test it soon :)

Brice

2005-03-05 21:33:29

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> >Can you try cat /proc/acpi/sleep? If there's no difference between S4
> >and S4bios, than you are probably just using plain S4...
>
> puligny:~% cat /proc/acpi/sleep
> S0 S1 S3 S4 S4bios S5
>
> Where am I suppose to see a difference between S4 and S4Bios here ?

Hmm, your system says it supports s4bios. But if you can see

Writing data to swap (XXX pages)... XXX %

then you are definitely using swsusp. Strange.

Pavel

by Richard Mittendorfer

Also sprach Pavel Machek <[email protected]> (Sat, 5 Mar 2005 20:14:05
+0100):
> Hi!

hi!

> Is there single user of s4bios? It used to work for me 4 notebooks
> ago, but I never really used it. I think I'm the only person that ever
> seen it working, but I could be wrong. Is there anyone using s4bios in
> 2.6.11?
>
> If not, I guess we should remove that code from kernel. It is not
> usefull, and it is likely broken.
> Pavel

it doesn't work here (libretto). it goes to sleep but hangs on wakeup.

would be fine if.. but i'm satisfied with s3 and halt. never tried
swsuspend. also havn't tried since 2.6.9

as 2.6 is IMHO toooo large there should be something done about it (make
it configurable?patchable).

sl ritch.

2005-03-05 21:45:37

by Brice Goglin

> Hmm, your system says it supports s4bios. But if you can see
>
> Writing data to swap (XXX pages)... XXX %
>
> then you are definitely using swsusp. Strange.

That's what I see.

Thanks,
Brice

2005-03-05 22:01:25

by Stefan Seyfried

Brice Goglin wrote:

> From what I remember, I didn't see any difference between S4 and S4Bios in
> recent vanilla kernels.

I have seen exactly the same thing and concluded that S4bios is broken.
Since it is tricky to set up (you usually need a special hibernation
partition or a special file in a FAT partition) and probably slow as
hell (at least if it has anything to do with the APM BIOS suspend to
disk routines, and i assume it does), i'd shed no tears if it would go
away ;-)
--
Stefan Seyfried, QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices, SUSE LINUX N?rnberg.

"Any ideas, John?"
"Well, surrounding them's out."

2005-03-07 17:08:56

by Bruno Ducrot

Subject: Re: [ACPI] s4bios: does anyone use it?

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 08:14:05PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there single user of s4bios? It used to work for me 4 notebooks
> ago, but I never really used it.

I don't have anymore my toshiba laptop where S4 bios was first
implemented.

> I think I'm the only person that ever
> seen it working, but I could be wrong.

You are indeed wrong.

--
Bruno Ducrot

-- Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?
-- Don't know. Don't care.

2005-03-07 21:54:22

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > Is there single user of s4bios? It used to work for me 4 notebooks
> > ago, but I never really used it.
>
> I don't have anymore my toshiba laptop where S4 bios was first
> implemented.
>
> > I think I'm the only person that ever
> > seen it working, but I could be wrong.
>
> You are indeed wrong.

Okay, so we had 2 users in past but have 0 users now? :-).

Pavel

by Bruno Ducrot

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:44:01PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Okay, so we had 2 users in past but have 0 users now? :-).

I don't know. I remember having at least one positive feedback one or
two years ago, but this was for an old 2.4 kernel (does that count ?),
maybe if that guy switched to 2.6 there will be then one user now using
S4bios under 2.6 who knows :)