2005-03-07 22:04:58

by Alan

Subject: Linux 2.6.11-ac1

For a couple of reasons I've not yet merged Greg's 2.6.11.1 yet but this
diff should actually apply to either right now.

2.6.11-ac1
o Fix jbd race in ext3 (Stephen Tweedie)

Carried over from 2.6.10-ac

Security
o AF_ROSE security hole fix - still missing from base
o Bridge failure to check kmalloc argument overflow

Functionality
o PWC USB camera driver
o Working ULI526X support (added to base in .11 but broken)
o ATP88x support
o Intelligent misrouted IRQ handlers
o Fix PCI boxes that take minutes IDE probing
o Remove bogus confusing XFree86 keyboard message
o Support fibre AMD pcnet32
o Runtime configurable clock
| So you can run laptops usefully. Set 100Hz to fix
| the power drain, clock sliding and other problems
| 1000Hz causes
o Fix token ring locking so token ring can be used again
o x86_64/32 cross build fixes
o NetROM locking fixes (so NetROM actually works!)
o SUID dumpable support
o Don't log pointless CD messages
o Minimal stallion driver functionality

2005-03-07 23:53:22

by Indrek Kruusa

Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.11-ac1

Yes yes yes! It almost seemed that your work on thesis stuff will kill
-ac :(

Thank you!
Indrek

2005-03-08 06:07:12

by Clemens Schwaighofer

--On Monday, March 07, 2005 09:34:22 PM +0000 Alan Cox
<[email protected]> wrote:

> For a couple of reasons I've not yet merged Greg's 2.6.11.1 yet but this
> diff should actually apply to either right now.
>
> 2.6.11-ac1
> o Fix jbd race in ext3 (Stephen Tweedie)

will that patch actually appear in 2.6.11.2? At least it looks like a
candidate for me ...

[ Clemens Schwaighofer -----=====:::::~ ]
[ TBWA\ && TEQUILA\ Japan IT Group ]
[ 6-17-2 Ginza Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-0061, JAPAN ]
[ Tel: +81-(0)3-3545-7703 Fax: +81-(0)3-3545-7343 ]
[ http://www.tequila.co.jp http://www.tbwajapan.co.jp ]

Attachments:
(No filename) (686.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Clemens Schwaighofer

2005-03-08 06:52:53

by Chris Wright

* Clemens Schwaighofer ([email protected]) wrote:
> --On Monday, March 07, 2005 09:34:22 PM +0000 Alan Cox
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >For a couple of reasons I've not yet merged Greg's 2.6.11.1 yet but this
> >diff should actually apply to either right now.
> >
> >2.6.11-ac1
> >o Fix jbd race in ext3 (Stephen Tweedie)
>
> will that patch actually appear in 2.6.11.2? At least it looks like a
> candidate for me ...

Yes, we are intending to pick up bits from -ac (you might have missed
that in another thread).

thanks,
-chris
--
Linux Security Modules http://lsm.immunix.org http://lsm.bkbits.net

2005-03-08 12:09:15

by Andre Tomt

Alan Cox wrote:
<snip>
> Functionality
> o PWC USB camera driver
> o Working ULI526X support (added to base in .11 but broken)
> o ATP88x support
> o Intelligent misrouted IRQ handlers
> o Fix PCI boxes that take minutes IDE probing
> o Remove bogus confusing XFree86 keyboard message
> o Support fibre AMD pcnet32
> o Runtime configurable clock
> | So you can run laptops usefully. Set 100Hz to fix
> | the power drain, clock sliding and other problems
> | 1000Hz causes
> o Fix token ring locking so token ring can be used again
> o x86_64/32 cross build fixes
> o NetROM locking fixes (so NetROM actually works!)
> o SUID dumpable support
> o Don't log pointless CD messages
> o Minimal stallion driver functionality

Incomplete list? Seems like there is quite a bit of changes in the diff
not mentioned "changelog" - HPT, generic ide, ide_dma rename, serio
"spank" stuff, pci ids

--
Mvh,
Andr? Tomt

2005-03-08 12:48:22

by Stephen C. Tweedie

Hi,

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 06:49, Chris Wright wrote:

> Yes, we are intending to pick up bits from -ac (you might have missed
> that in another thread).

There's actually a successor patch to that which I'm just about to get
feedback on here and on ext2-devel. It's higher-risk than the one Alan
has already picked up, but also hopefully closes the race much more
tightly throughout the whole of the jbd layer.

--Stephen

2005-03-09 07:27:53

by CaT

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:34:22PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> For a couple of reasons I've not yet merged Greg's 2.6.11.1 yet but this
> diff should actually apply to either right now.
>
> 2.6.11-ac1
> o Fix jbd race in ext3 (Stephen Tweedie)
>
> Carried over from 2.6.10-ac

BTW. What's the probability of the ITE driver making it into the stock
kernel?

--
Red herrings strewn hither and yon.

2005-03-09 15:59:46

by Alan

On Mer, 2005-03-09 at 07:26, CaT wrote:
> > Carried over from 2.6.10-ac
>
> BTW. What's the probability of the ITE driver making it into the stock
> kernel?

I have given up caring about the base kernel IDE code. I've tried to get
stuff submitted and failed. I've no plan to waste further time on it.

Alan

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:26:46 +1100, CaT <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:34:22PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > For a couple of reasons I've not yet merged Greg's 2.6.11.1 yet but this
> > diff should actually apply to either right now.
> >
> > 2.6.11-ac1
> > o Fix jbd race in ext3 (Stephen Tweedie)
> >
> > Carried over from 2.6.10-ac
>
> BTW. What's the probability of the ITE driver making it into the stock
> kernel?

It can be merged if somebody fix it to always force controller into
non-RAID mode and remove RAID mode support (which currently
does nothing more besides complicating the driver and making special
commands unusable).

2005-03-09 16:40:52

by Alan

On Mer, 2005-03-09 at 16:26, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> It can be merged if somebody fix it to always force controller into
> non-RAID mode and remove RAID mode support (which currently
> does nothing more besides complicating the driver and making special
> commands unusable).

Incorrect

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:38:43 +0000, Alan Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mer, 2005-03-09 at 16:26, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > It can be merged if somebody fix it to always force controller into
> > non-RAID mode and remove RAID mode support (which currently
> > does nothing more besides complicating the driver and making special
> > commands unusable).
>
> Incorrect

Very helpful

2005-03-09 22:57:06

by CaT

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 05:43:02PM +0100, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:38:43 +0000, Alan Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mer, 2005-03-09 at 16:26, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > > It can be merged if somebody fix it to always force controller into
> > > non-RAID mode and remove RAID mode support (which currently
> > > does nothing more besides complicating the driver and making special
> > > commands unusable).
> >
> > Incorrect
>
> Very helpful

Argh! Ok. I guess I shouldn't've just bought the card based on this
driver then so that I could better debug my problems with my promise
cards. 8(

--
Red herrings strewn hither and yon.

2005-03-10 04:29:53

by Alan

On Mer, 2005-03-09 at 22:22, CaT wrote:
> Argh! Ok. I guess I shouldn't've just bought the card based on this
> driver then so that I could better debug my problems with my promise
> cards. 8(

Its good hardware. It does lots of neat things providing you run -ac
anyway. The raid1 performance is very good and it can do hotplug IDE
transparently in hardware raid modes. Its a good solid little
controller.

Alan

2005-03-10 08:04:52

by Denis Vlasenko

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 17:51, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mer, 2005-03-09 at 07:26, CaT wrote:
> > > Carried over from 2.6.10-ac
> >
> > BTW. What's the probability of the ITE driver making it into the stock
> > kernel?
>
> I have given up caring about the base kernel IDE code. I've tried to get
> stuff submitted and failed. I've no plan to waste further time on it.

Whee, boring times are over? I miss good old IDE flamewars :)
Let's add Andre in the mix, will be like lithium/hydrogen/fluorine
rocket fuel...

NB: this is a joke. In reality I wish Alan and Bart could
find a way to work together.
--
vda

2005-03-10 09:06:37

by Tupshin Harper

Alan Cox wrote:

>On Mer, 2005-03-09 at 22:22, CaT wrote:
>

>>Argh! Ok. I guess I shouldn't've just bought the card based on this
>>driver then so that I could better debug my problems with my promise
>>cards. 8(
>>

>Its good hardware. It does lots of neat things providing you run -ac
>anyway. The raid1 performance is very good and it can do hotplug IDE
>transparently in hardware raid modes. Its a good solid little
>controller.
>
>Alan

Alan...since you disagreed with the earlier characterization of what it
would take to get into the mainline kernels, could you let us know what
it would take in your opinion? FWIW, I'm happily using it with a -ac kernel.

-Tupshin

2005-03-10 15:03:48

by Alan

On Iau, 2005-03-10 at 09:06, Tupshin Harper wrote:
> Alan...since you disagreed with the earlier characterization of what it
> would take to get into the mainline kernels, could you let us know what
> it would take in your opinion? FWIW, I'm happily using it with a -ac kernel.

It needs some small changes in the base ide-disk code to handle drives
having only a logical geometry (legal but Linux can't cope). Most if not
all the other hooks are there to an extent the driver for the it821x can
work without core code changes. It might be cleaner with core changes
but it's better that the it821x code handles the weirdness of the
hardware.

Longer term it (and probably every other IDE PATA driver) should be
moved to the Jeff Garzik SATA layer. That's also Bart's position I
believe ?