2005-03-20 22:10:25

by viking

Subject: USB mouse hiccups (was RFD: Kernel release numbering)

-blather-
It took a few days before I actually saw this posting. I also agree that
2.6.10 seems to be more stable than 2.6.11 - mind you, that could be
because I'm using 2.6.10-linus (i.e. the tarball from the linux.org site)
and the 2.6.11 is a Mandrake-ised kernel + Linus patches - at least I
*think* they're Linus' patches - no Visual Basic in them yet.
I've also noted .10 is quicker off the blocks than 2.6.11 seems to be.

-meat-
I did note something strange. I'm running 2.6.11.2 at this moment, when I
tried 2.6.11.3, my USB Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse stopped moving
from left to right, and would only move up and down if I physically moved
the mouse from left to right. I didn't see anything in the patches that
touched anything in the event handling, so frankly I'm puzzled.
Any clues as to where I need to look? I've seen this problem before, but
don't know what causes it, nor how I fixed it at the time.
Also, how do I get that patch that enables the tiltwheel (left-right
events)?

-blather-
I'll try out .5 once I fetch the patch and spend another three hours on my
cluster, compiling. Again. The reason I haven't dipped into real testing
of kernels was precisely for this reason, that I didn't want to have to
spend absolutely ages waiting for a compile. However, I've finally decided
to dip my toes back in the water, with the 2.6.11 series...

Love the Suspend-to-disk... only wish I could load a saved image into a
later kernel, though I understand why this can't be done. That would be my
current "killer app".

'Nuff mumbling.

CC if you wish, but I ought to be watching the list again for this one.

--
/| _,.:*^*:., |\ Cheers from the Viking family, including Pippin, our cat
| |_/' viking@ `\_| |
| flying-brick | $FunnyMail : What do you mean, I've lost the plot?
\_.caverock.net.nz_/ 5.40 : I planted them carrots right here!!

--
/| _,.:*^*:., |\ Cheers from the Viking family, including Pippin, our cat
| |_/' viking@ `\_| |
| flying-brick | $FunnyMail : What do you mean, I've lost the plot?
\_.caverock.net.nz_/ 5.40 : I planted them carrots right here!!

2005-03-21 00:42:19

by Andrew Morton

viking <[email protected]> wrote:

> I did note something strange. I'm running 2.6.11.2 at this moment, when I
> tried 2.6.11.3, my USB Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse stopped moving
> from left to right, and would only move up and down if I physically moved
> the mouse from left to right. I didn't see anything in the patches that
> touched anything in the event handling, so frankly I'm puzzled.
> Any clues as to where I need to look? I've seen this problem before, but
> don't know what causes it, nor how I fixed it at the time.
> Also, how do I get that patch that enables the tiltwheel (left-right
> events)?

Could you please test 2.6.12-rc1?

2005-03-21 01:36:57

by viking

Subject: Re: USB mouse hiccups

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 04:41:29PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> viking <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I did note something strange. I'm running 2.6.11.2 at this moment, when I
> > tried 2.6.11.3, my USB Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse stopped moving
> > from left to right, and would only move up and down if I physically moved
> > the mouse from left to right. I didn't see anything in the patches that
> > touched anything in the event handling, so frankly I'm puzzled.
> > Any clues as to where I need to look? I've seen this problem before, but
> > don't know what causes it, nor how I fixed it at the time.
> > Also, how do I get that patch that enables the tiltwheel (left-right
> > events)?
>
> Could you please test 2.6.12-rc1?

Yeesh. You ARE keen, aren't you. I'll attempt to do so over the next day or
so. Thanks.

--
/| _,.:*^*:., |\ Cheers from the Viking family, including Pippin, our cat
| |_/' viking@ `\_| |
| flying-brick | $FunnyMail : What do you mean, I've lost the plot?
\_.caverock.net.nz_/ 5.40 : I planted them carrots right here!!

2005-03-21 07:26:41

by viking

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 04:41:29PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> viking <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I did note something strange. I'm running 2.6.11.2 at this moment, when I
> > tried 2.6.11.3, my USB Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse stopped moving
> > from left to right, and would only move up and down if I physically moved
> > the mouse from left to right. I didn't see anything in the patches that
> > touched anything in the event handling, so frankly I'm puzzled.
> > Any clues as to where I need to look? I've seen this problem before, but
> > don't know what causes it, nor how I fixed it at the time.
> > Also, how do I get that patch that enables the tiltwheel (left-right
> > events)?
>
> Could you please test 2.6.12-rc1?

Got it compiled this evening. How many days do you want me to run it for? A
week? Can I test out the suspend-to-disk on this release too?

Thanks for your attention on this.

--
/| _,.:*^*:., |\ Cheers from the Viking family, including Pippin, our cat
| |_/' viking@ `\_| |
| flying-brick | $FunnyMail : What do you mean, I've lost the plot?
\_.caverock.net.nz_/ 5.40 : I planted them carrots right here!!

2005-03-21 07:32:48

by Andrew Morton

viking <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 04:41:29PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > viking <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I did note something strange. I'm running 2.6.11.2 at this moment, when I
> > > tried 2.6.11.3, my USB Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse stopped moving
> > > from left to right, and would only move up and down if I physically moved
> > > the mouse from left to right. I didn't see anything in the patches that
> > > touched anything in the event handling, so frankly I'm puzzled.
> > > Any clues as to where I need to look? I've seen this problem before, but
> > > don't know what causes it, nor how I fixed it at the time.
> > > Also, how do I get that patch that enables the tiltwheel (left-right
> > > events)?
> >
> > Could you please test 2.6.12-rc1?
>
> Got it compiled this evening. How many days do you want me to run it for? A
> week?

Well it should take about seven seconds to work out if the mouse movement
is still broken?

> Can I test out the suspend-to-disk on this release too?

Please do.