2005-03-22 07:50:57

by DervishD

Subject: Voodoo 3 2000 framebuffer problem

Hi all :)

Linux Kernel 2.4.29, in a do-it-yourself linux box, equipped with
an AGP Voodoo 3 2000 card, tdfx framebuffer support. I boot in vga
mode 0x0f05, with parameter 'video=tdfx:800x600-32@100' and I get
(correctly) 100x37 character grid. All of that is correct. What is
not correct is the characters attributes, namely the 'blink'
attribute.

If I use the tdfx framebuffer (I've tested some more
resolutions), I lose the blinking text (which I use, for example, for
marking my dangling symlinks in 'ls' or 'zsh'). Is this a bug, a
feature or just a mistake I'm consistently making?

In addition to this, at boot time the background in the lines
around the cute penguin logo is white and not black as it should...

Thanks a lot in advance. Feel free to ask for more details,
tests, etc.

Ra?l N??ez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736
http://www.dervishd.net & http://www.pleyades.net/

2005-03-22 09:04:20

by David Gómez

Subject: Re: Voodoo 3 2000 framebuffer problem

Hi ;),

On Mar 22 at 08:51:16, DervishD wrote:
> Linux Kernel 2.4.29, in a do-it-yourself linux box, equipped with
> an AGP Voodoo 3 2000 card, tdfx framebuffer support. I boot in vga
> mode 0x0f05, with parameter 'video=tdfx:800x600-32@100' and I get
> (correctly) 100x37 character grid. All of that is correct. What is
> not correct is the characters attributes, namely the 'blink'
> attribute.

It happens too using the voodoo3 framebuffer driver in 2.6 kernels.
Specifically i'm using 2.6.10

regards,

--
David Gómez Jabber ID: [email protected]

2005-03-22 11:24:50

by DervishD

Hi David :)

* David <[email protected]> dixit:
> On Mar 22 at 08:51:16, DervishD wrote:
> > Linux Kernel 2.4.29, in a do-it-yourself linux box, equipped with
> > an AGP Voodoo 3 2000 card, tdfx framebuffer support. I boot in vga
> > mode 0x0f05, with parameter 'video=tdfx:800x600-32@100' and I get
> > (correctly) 100x37 character grid. All of that is correct. What is
> > not correct is the characters attributes, namely the 'blink'
> > attribute.
> It happens too using the voodoo3 framebuffer driver in 2.6 kernels.
> Specifically i'm using 2.6.10

Nice :) I've tested under Debian unstable too, and the same
happens (using 2.6.9, IIRC). Thanks for testing :)

Ra?l N??ez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736
http://www.dervishd.net & http://www.pleyades.net/
It's my PC and I'll cry if I want to...

2005-03-22 13:52:36

by Bodo Eggert

DervishD <[email protected]> wrote:

> Linux Kernel 2.4.29, in a do-it-yourself linux box, equipped with
> an AGP Voodoo 3 2000 card, tdfx framebuffer support. I boot in vga
> mode 0x0f05, with parameter 'video=tdfx:800x600-32@100' and I get
> (correctly) 100x37 character grid. All of that is correct. What is
> not correct is the characters attributes, namely the 'blink'
> attribute.

Blinking a whole screen of text is much more expensive than a block cursor.
You'll want hardware support, e.g. some kind of double-buffering or using
240 colors just for that purpose in a 256 color mode.
(I would not implement that.)

2005-03-22 14:05:31

by DervishD

Hi Bodo :)

* Bodo Eggert <[email protected]> dixit:
> > Linux Kernel 2.4.29, in a do-it-yourself linux box, equipped with
> > an AGP Voodoo 3 2000 card, tdfx framebuffer support. I boot in vga
> > mode 0x0f05, with parameter 'video=tdfx:800x600-32@100' and I get
> > (correctly) 100x37 character grid. All of that is correct. What is
> > not correct is the characters attributes, namely the 'blink'
> > attribute.
> Blinking a whole screen of text is much more expensive than a block cursor.

I don't want to blink a whole screen of text... But I think I
know what you mean, for blinking some text on the screen you need to
be able to blink the entire screen.

> You'll want hardware support, e.g. some kind of double-buffering or
> using 240 colors just for that purpose in a 256 color mode. (I
> would not implement that.)

I assumed that the textmodes of framebuffer supported all
capabilities that the standard text modes support... So, no blinking
text in framebuffer, am I wrong?

Ra?l N??ez de Arenas Coronado