2005-03-27 23:08:53

by Martin Loschwitz

Subject: Problems on Apple iBook with ALSA and snd-powermac [2.6.11.5]

Hi folks,

given that the alsa-user-mailinglist has some strange kind of authentication
mechanism, and admin-authorization and whatever, I'm writing this mail to the
LKML (it would have been CCed here anyway).

The current snd-powermac module from ALSA seems to have trouble with modern
Apple iBook computers (and possible other Apple notebooks, but I can't tell
for sure). With 2.6.11.5 and having snd-powermac loaded, playing some sound
results in a very noisy playback; you can only hear that if you turn volume
on the PCM and VOL mixers up to the maximum, and even then, it's very hard
to hear. After removing snd-powermac and loading the "old" pmac-driver, the
sound playback works just fine.

I have been able to find out that with 2.6.8 (at least with the version that
Debian ships currently), the problem does not appear; snd-powermac does its
job very nicely there. Given that 2.6.11 included some ALSA changes, I just
compiled 2.6.10 on this box and booted it, and had the same problems I have
with snd-powermac on 2.6.11.5.

Is this a known problem and is a fix available for it? If not, what can I do
to help with hunting this bug? I really like ALSA and prefer it over the old
pmac-sound-driver.

--
.''`. Martin Loschwitz Debian GNU/Linux developer
: :' : [email protected] [email protected]

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.43 kB)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Benjamin Herrenschmidt

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 01:08 +0200, Martin Loschwitz wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> given that the alsa-user-mailinglist has some strange kind of authentication
> mechanism, and admin-authorization and whatever, I'm writing this mail to the
> LKML (it would have been CCed here anyway).
>
> The current snd-powermac module from ALSA seems to have trouble with modern
> Apple iBook computers (and possible other Apple notebooks, but I can't tell
> for sure). With 2.6.11.5 and having snd-powermac loaded, playing some sound
> results in a very noisy playback; you can only hear that if you turn volume
> on the PCM and VOL mixers up to the maximum, and even then, it's very hard
> to hear. After removing snd-powermac and loading the "old" pmac-driver, the
> sound playback works just fine.

Have you tried disabling DRC Or increasing the DRC range level ?

--
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email protected]>

2005-03-29 03:21:02

by Lee Revell

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 01:08 +0200, Martin Loschwitz wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> given that the alsa-user-mailinglist has some strange kind of authentication
> mechanism, and admin-authorization and whatever, I'm writing this mail to the
> LKML (it would have been CCed here anyway).

Still off topic. ALSA bug reports should be filed here:

https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/login_page.php

Lee