2005-03-19 13:05:18

by Norbert Preining

Subject: pwc driver in -mm kernels

Hi Andrew, hi Luc!

I just realized that there is now the pwc driver back in -mm kernels,
but interestingly not the one from Luc, or at least not the last
published one (10.0.6). and wanted to ask if there is a specific reason
for this?

Best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Universit? di Siena
sip:[email protected] +43 (0) 59966-690018
CANNOCK CHASE (n.)
In any box of After Eight Mints, there is always a large number of
empty envelopes and no more that four or five actual mints. The
cannock chase is the process by which, no matter which part of the box
often, you will always extract most of the empty sachets before
pinning down an actual minot, or 'cannock'. The cannock chase also
occurs with people who put their dead matches back in the matchbox,
and then embarrass themselves at parties trying to light cigarettes
with tree quarters of an inch of charcoal. The term is also used to
describe futile attempts to pursue unscrupulous advertising agencies
who nick your ideas to sell chocolates with.
--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

2005-03-19 21:01:22

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: pwc driver in -mm kernels

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 02:04:24PM +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Andrew, hi Luc!
>
> I just realized that there is now the pwc driver back in -mm kernels,
> but interestingly not the one from Luc, or at least not the last
> published one (10.0.6). and wanted to ask if there is a specific reason
> for this?

Because that is the version that was submitted for inclusion. Patches
are gladly accepted to bring the driver up to date.

thanks,

greg k-h

2005-03-21 14:59:24

by Alan

On Sad, 2005-03-19 at 13:04, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Andrew, hi Luc!
>
> I just realized that there is now the pwc driver back in -mm kernels,
> but interestingly not the one from Luc, or at least not the last
> published one (10.0.6). and wanted to ask if there is a specific reason
> for this?

I pushed the tested one as a starting point. May have been the wrong
decision but it's my fault if so

2005-03-21 15:12:25

by Norbert Preining

On Mon, 21 M?r 2005, Alan Cox wrote:
> I pushed the tested one as a starting point. May have been the wrong
> decision but it's my fault if so

Ah ok. I checked the differences between the versions but there are too
many `none-standard' changes, i.e. kernel-language changes (statics,
inlines, __) etc so that I cannot submit a patch for the new version.

The good thing about the one on Luc's page it that it includes sysfs
support for several parameters and some more device ids.

Best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Universit? di Siena
sip:[email protected] +43 (0) 59966-690018
`We've got to find out what people want from fire, how
they relate to it, what sort of image it has for them.'
The crowd were tense. They were expecting something
wonderful from Ford.
`Stick it up your nose,' he said.
`Which is precisely the sort of thing we need to know,'
insisted the girl, `Do people want fire that can be fitted
nasally?'
--- Ford "debating" what to do with fire with a marketing
--- girl.

by Luc Saillard

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 04:09:54PM +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mon, 21 M?r 2005, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I pushed the tested one as a starting point. May have been the wrong
> > decision but it's my fault if so
>
> Ah ok. I checked the differences between the versions but there are too
> many `none-standard' changes, i.e. kernel-language changes (statics,
> inlines, __) etc so that I cannot submit a patch for the new version.
>
> The good thing about the one on Luc's page it that it includes sysfs
> support for several parameters and some more device ids.

Sorry, i was in holliday far far away from my computer (it's very rare).
I can produce a patch with coding style fixes, or wait to fix a bug in v4l2
then submit the patch. What do you prefer ? Some applications crashes when
using the v4l2 API. I can made v4l2 optional.

I know that a lot of changes needs to be applied to the driver to please
everybody. So perhaps i can try to begin with a patch (with v4l2), and wait
for feedback, and resend patch until this is correct ?

Luc