2005-04-02 18:03:54

by Marty Leisner

Subject: PCI bridge devices questions

I have to write some code to insert a non-standard bridge
(it identifies itself as bridge-other, but it functions
as a pci-pci bridge).

I'm going to be using 2.4.2x and eventually 2.6.x for intel
and ppc...

In the pci_dev structure (for 2.4.29)
there's
(in include/linux/pci.h)

00355 #define DEVICE_COUNT_RESOURCE 12
00410 struct resource resource[DEVICE_COUNT_RESOURCE]; /* I/O and memory regions + expansion ROMs */

We also have:
00431 /*
00432 * For PCI devices, the region numbers are assigned this way:
00433 *
00434 * 0-5 standard PCI regions
00435 * 6 expansion ROM
00436 * 7-10 bridges: address space assigned to buses behind the bridge
00437 */
00438
00439 #define PCI_ROM_RESOURCE 6
00440 #define PCI_BRIDGE_RESOURCES 7
00441 #define PCI_NUM_RESOURCES 11

Now where my confusion sets in:
1) PCI_NUM_RESOURCES + 1 == DEVICE_COUNT_RESOURCE
Why?
2) I understand the first 6 regions (standard) and the expansion rom) --
why 5 more?
3) I've only seen instances of 3 bus regions used -- IO, MEM prefetch,
MEM nonprefetch -- are they order dependent?

4) would it make more sense to have seperate arrays? One of for the
device resources, one for the bridge resources?

Thanks...

Marty Leisner

by Adam Belay

Subject: Re: PCI bridge devices questions

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 01:04:33PM -0500, Marty Leisner wrote:
> I have to write some code to insert a non-standard bridge
> (it identifies itself as bridge-other, but it functions
> as a pci-pci bridge).
>
> I'm going to be using 2.4.2x and eventually 2.6.x for intel
> and ppc...

I'm currently working on a new pci bridge class framework for 2.6. The most
significant change is that you will be able to bind to the bridge using a
"struct pci_driver".

> In the pci_dev structure (for 2.4.29)
> there's
> (in include/linux/pci.h)
>
> 00355 #define DEVICE_COUNT_RESOURCE 12
> 00410 struct resource resource[DEVICE_COUNT_RESOURCE]; /* I/O and memory regions + expansion ROMs */
>
> We also have:
> 00431 /*
> 00432 * For PCI devices, the region numbers are assigned this way:
> 00433 *
> 00434 * 0-5 standard PCI regions
> 00435 * 6 expansion ROM
> 00436 * 7-10 bridges: address space assigned to buses behind the bridge
> 00437 */
> 00438
> 00439 #define PCI_ROM_RESOURCE 6
> 00440 #define PCI_BRIDGE_RESOURCES 7
> 00441 #define PCI_NUM_RESOURCES 11
>
> Now where my confusion sets in:
> 1) PCI_NUM_RESOURCES + 1 == DEVICE_COUNT_RESOURCE
> Why?

At a glance it looks like it's because the array starts at 0.

> 2) I understand the first 6 regions (standard) and the expansion rom) --
> why 5 more?

I'm currently redesigning this to use a resource array in "struct device".

> 3) I've only seen instances of 3 bus regions used -- IO, MEM prefetch,
> MEM nonprefetch -- are they order dependent?

There are 4 on cardbus bridges. In my implementation, they will probably not
be very order dependent.

> Thanks...
>
> Marty Leisner
> [email protected]

Could you provide any additional details about this bridge?

Thanks,
Adam