2005-04-05 20:50:18

by Dan Stromberg

Subject: AOE and large filesystems?

Some questions for the list:

1) Is anyone on the list using AOE in production?

2) Is anyone on the list using AOE in combination with md and/or LVM2?

3) Is anyone on the list using AOE on a 64 bit platform?

Thanks!

2005-04-05 23:08:06

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Re: AOE and large filesystems?

Dan Stromberg wrote:
> Some questions for the list:
>
> 1) Is anyone on the list using AOE in production?
>
> 2) Is anyone on the list using AOE in combination with md and/or LVM2?
>
> 3) Is anyone on the list using AOE on a 64 bit platform?

While I think AoE is "neat", IMO you really want to use something based
on TCP, even on a LAN...

Your CPU usage w/ zerocopy offload could potentially be lowered w/ TCP,
in addition to the built-in reliability.

As a tangent, I'd also like to see iSCSI over SCTP.

Jeff

2005-04-06 07:03:56

by bert hubert

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 07:07:46PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> As a tangent, I'd also like to see iSCSI over SCTP.

http://ds9a.nl/klogbot/?year=2005&month=3&day=21&hour=12.5

See conversation between 'nab_' and ahu (me).

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://netherlabs.nl Open and Closed source services

2005-04-06 16:44:24

by Dmitry Yusupov

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 19:07 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> As a tangent, I'd also like to see iSCSI over SCTP.

existing iSCSI over TCP ietf draft just does not fit into SCTP.

There was some activity on IPS recently:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ips/current/msg01279.html

it ends up with needs for new ietf draft which will describe iSCSI over
SCTP transport.

Dmitry

> Jeff
>

> -

by Ed L. Cashin

Dan Stromberg <[email protected]> writes:

> Some questions for the list:
>
> 1) Is anyone on the list using AOE in production?

I don't know of any AoE users that read the lkml. Except me, of
course.

> 2) Is anyone on the list using AOE in combination with md and/or LVM2?

Yes, most AoE users use md. Many use LVM2, but a couple have had
trouble with striped volume groups.

> 3) Is anyone on the list using AOE on a 64 bit platform?

People are using AoE on 64 bit platforms and not reading the lkml. :)

--
Ed L Cashin <[email protected]>

2005-04-14 13:00:49

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> Dan Stromberg wrote:
> >Some questions for the list:
> >
> >1) Is anyone on the list using AOE in production?
> >
> >2) Is anyone on the list using AOE in combination with md and/or
> >LVM2?
> >
> >3) Is anyone on the list using AOE on a 64 bit platform?
>
> While I think AoE is "neat", IMO you really want to use something
> based on TCP, even on a LAN...

TCP does not work for swapping, unfortunately. And same problem
might be in dirty-page-writeout...
--
64 bytes from 195.113.31.123: icmp_seq=28 ttl=51 time=448769.1 ms