2005-04-06 19:56:41

by Alan Bryan

Subject: Light Scribe Technology

Hi all,

Can you tell me if there is currently support in the
kernel for HP's new LightScribe technology?
(http://h30015.www3.hp.com/hp_dec/lightscribe/index_FL.asp).
If there is not, are there plans for it?

Supposdly, you can burn DVD's or CD's, then flip the
media over and burn a label directly onto the CD or
DVD (no ink or toner...the laser burns it directly
onto the CD)

Thanks

Alan

__________________________________
Yahoo! Messenger

by John W. Linville

Subject: Re: Light Scribe Technology

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:56:35PM -0700, Alan Bryan wrote:

> Can you tell me if there is currently support in the
> kernel for HP's new LightScribe technology?
> (http://h30015.www3.hp.com/hp_dec/lightscribe/index_FL.asp).
> If there is not, are there plans for it?

I don't know of any. Are the specs on the hardware open?
--
John W. Linville

by Alan Bryan

--- "John W. Linville" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:56:35PM -0700, Alan Bryan
> wrote:
>
> > Can you tell me if there is currently support in
> the
> > kernel for HP's new LightScribe technology?

(http://h30015.www3.hp.com/hp_dec/lightscribe/index_FL.asp).
> > If there is not, are there plans for it?
>
> I don't know of any. Are the specs on the hardware
> open?
> --
> John W. Linville
> [email protected]
> -

To be honest, I'm not sure. I wrote an email to HP
using the address on their LightScribe technology
page, but they never responded...I'm thinking that's a
big no....But there are Windows drivers to reverese
engineer...How fun!