2005-04-13 15:34:14

by Oliver Korpilla

Subject: [Crosspost] GNU/Linux userland?

Hello!

I wondered if there is a project or setup that does allow me to build a
GNU/Linux userland including kernel, build environment, basic tools with
a single script just as you can in NetBSD (build.sh) or FreeBSD (make
world).

I do not refer to a step-by-step instruction like "Linux From Scratch"
(which I do find commendable, but is not quite the same), but an
automated, cross-compilation aware foundation for a Linux system.

I found one of the great things about NetBSD which I miss in Linux that
I can generate a baseline from source that quickly. It would mix greatly
with the package management systems for Linux, like apt or rpm, which
could be used for all other stuff, like X11.

I'd say such a system should include (not complete, just in my opinion):
* Kernel 2.6.x
* Sample generic kernel configurations (like GENERIC etc. in NetBSD)
* GNU Toolchain (gcc, gdb, glibc, ...)
* GNU make
* udev-Support oder eine /dev-Generierungsskript
* Bash
* basic networking tools
* an interpreter for the language the build script is in (Sh, Python, ...)
* Security (PAM support, Shadow passwords)
* System V init

It should contain anything you need to build a baseline from within the
baseline.
It should be a minimal setup.
It should include cross-compilation support.

It would be imaginable to have similar scripts to create embedded
development host setup (toolchains and libs) and an embedded development
target baseline (uclibc, other libraries, busybox).

Is there something that at least partly is in that direction?
Is there a need for something like this?

I'm asking out of genuine curiosity, and hoping for answers.

Please CC me, I'm in none of these lists!

Thanks and with kind regard,
Oliver Korpilla

2005-04-13 15:52:33

by Andrew Walrond

Subject: Re: [Crosspost] GNU/Linux userland?

On Wednesday 13 April 2005 20:40, Oliver Korpilla wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I wondered if there is a project or setup that does allow me to build a
> GNU/Linux userland including kernel, build environment, basic tools with
> a single script just as you can in NetBSD (build.sh) or FreeBSD (make
> world).
>
> I do not refer to a step-by-step instruction like "Linux From Scratch"
> (which I do find commendable, but is not quite the same), but an
> automated, cross-compilation aware foundation for a Linux system.

Heretix does everything except cross-compile. It's a complete rewrite of rubyx
(http://www.rubyx.org) but doesn't have its own website yet. Discussion is
happening on the rubyx ML. Cross compilation support would be a simple
extension to Heretix, if you fancy a project :)

Andrew Walrond

2005-04-13 16:03:39

by Petr Baudis

Subject: Re: GNU/Linux userland?

Dear diary, on Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 09:40:31PM CEST, I got a letter
where Oliver Korpilla <[email protected]> told me that...
> Hello!

Hello,

> I wondered if there is a project or setup that does allow me to build a
> GNU/Linux userland including kernel, build environment, basic tools with
> a single script just as you can in NetBSD (build.sh) or FreeBSD (make
> world).

Gentoo? :-) Bootstrap in particular, and emerge --emptytree system then.

--
Petr "Pasky" Baudis
Stuff: http://pasky.or.cz/

2005-04-13 16:09:14

by Erik Mouw

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 09:40:31PM +0200, Oliver Korpilla wrote:
> I wondered if there is a project or setup that does allow me to build a
> GNU/Linux userland including kernel, build environment, basic tools with
> a single script just as you can in NetBSD (build.sh) or FreeBSD (make
> world).

Try uclibc buildroot, see http://www.uclibc.org/toolchains.html .

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- http://www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --
| Lab address: Delftechpark 26, 2628 XH, Delft, The Netherlands

2005-04-13 16:32:24

by Oliver Korpilla

Andrew Walrond wrote:

>On Wednesday 13 April 2005 20:40, Oliver Korpilla wrote:
>

>>Hello!
>>
>>I wondered if there is a project or setup that does allow me to build a
>>GNU/Linux userland including kernel, build environment, basic tools with
>>a single script just as you can in NetBSD (build.sh) or FreeBSD (make
>>world).
>>
>>I do not refer to a step-by-step instruction like "Linux From Scratch"
>>(which I do find commendable, but is not quite the same), but an
>>automated, cross-compilation aware foundation for a Linux system.
>>

>Heretix does everything except cross-compile. It's a complete rewrite of rubyx
>(http://www.rubyx.org) but doesn't have its own website yet. Discussion is
>happening on the rubyx ML. Cross compilation support would be a simple
>extension to Heretix, if you fancy a project :)
>
>Andrew Walrond

Thanks, Andrew, that sounds great! Why was it necessary to rewrite rubyx??

With kind regards,
Oliver

2005-04-13 20:36:43

by John Lenz

On 04/13/05 14:40:31, Oliver Korpilla wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I wondered if there is a project or setup that does allow me to build a
> GNU/Linux userland including kernel, build environment, basic tools with
> a single script just as you can in NetBSD (build.sh) or FreeBSD (make
> world).

You might also look at http://www.openembedded.org It has support for cross
compiling, and with one command can build an entire userland. Not sure if
it is exactly a fit for what you want to do, but it seems very close.

John

2005-04-14 07:10:38

by Oliver Korpilla

John Lenz wrote:
> On 04/13/05 14:40:31, Oliver Korpilla wrote:
> You might also look at http://www.openembedded.org It has support for cross
> compiling, and with one command can build an entire userland. Not sure
> if it is exactly a fit for what you want to do, but it seems very close.

Thanks, this sounds great, and together with the directions I got about
Gentoo and Heretix/Rubyx seems to precisely match my request.

Thanks to you, and thanks to all helpful replies! :)

With kind regards,
Oliver Korpilla

2005-04-14 18:45:37

by René Rebe

Hi,

[email protected] wrote:

>> On 04/13/05 14:40:31, Oliver Korpilla wrote:
>> You might also look at http://www.openembedded.org It has support for cross
>> compiling, and with one command can build an entire userland. Not
>> sure if it is exactly a fit for what you want to do, but it seems
>> very close.
>
> Thanks, this sounds great, and together with the directions I got about
> Gentoo and Heretix/Rubyx seems to precisely match my request.

The T2 System Developmen Environment (http://www.t2-project.org/) might
also be interesting for you.

Greetings,

--
Ren? Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
http://www.exactcode.de/ | http://www.t2-project.org/