2005-04-13 23:36:40

by Bradley Reed

Subject: CDR read problems with 2.6.11?

I am running 2.6.11 with -ac4 and
realtime-preempt-2.6.11-final-V0.7.40-00 patches. Up to now, no
complaints, great job everyone.

Today I burnt two data backup CDs onto CD-R (I used k3b if it
matters) and the burn went 100% fine. No errors, I can read the
disks on other computers or on this one if I reboot into a different
kernel (2.4.28 for instance). Unfortunately I cannot read them from
the kernel I burned them with. [1]

mount yields:

root@galactus:~[1009]# mount /mnt/cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
missing codepage or other error
dmesg | tail or so

dmesg shows:

hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: DMA disabled
hda: ATAPI reset complete
hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: ATAPI reset complete
hda: tray open
end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hda, iso_blknum=16, block=16
hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: ATAPI reset complete

Obviously the tray is NOT open, but the other errors don't mean much
to me.

The drive is a NEC DVD+RW ND-5100A

Any suggestions on why I can't read (or burn correctly) the disks with 2.6.11?

Brad

[1] Actually although they mount and I can ls them under 2.4.28, not all the
files seem to be complete. The last few tarballs seem to be incomplete.
Earlier ones in the ls listing seem fine. Strange.

2005-04-14 00:06:48

by Bernd Schubert

Subject: Re: CDR read problems with 2.6.11?

[...]
> root@galactus:~[1009]# mount /mnt/cdrom
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
> missing codepage or other error
> In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> dmesg | tail or so

[...]

> The drive is a NEC DVD+RW ND-5100A
>
> Any suggestions on why I can't read (or burn correctly) the disks with 2.6.11?

I have seen exactly the same on my fathers computer and could solve this
by not starting the udftools. Didn't have the time to digg further into
this...
Can you confirm thats really a udf problem? Just run
"/etc/init.d/udftools stop" or the similar for your distribution and try
mounting again.

Cheers,
Bernd

2005-04-14 00:20:08

by Bradley Reed

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 02:03:07 +0200
"Bernd Schubert" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have seen exactly the same on my fathers computer and could solve this
> by not starting the udftools. Didn't have the time to digg further into
> this...
> Can you confirm thats really a udf problem? Just run
> "/etc/init.d/udftools stop" or the similar for your distribution and try
> mounting again.

I am not running udftools. In fact it isn't even installed (not part of
Slackware 10.1). I'm trying to burn an iso9660 on a CDR using cdrecord.

There seems to be issues with CD burning under 2.6.11. I make an iso, and I
burn it to CDR with 2.6.11 and again with 2.4.28 on the same laptop/same DVD
+RW drive. The disk burnt under 2.4 is fine, md5sums all ok, can be read
under both kernels. The disk burnt under 2.6.11 burns without error from
cdrecord/k3b/etc, but afterwards is not readable under 2.6.11. It is readable
under 2.4.28, but the md5sums are not 100% correct, basically making 2.6.11
useless for making backups to CDR.

Brad

2005-04-23 12:52:46

by Jan Knutar

On Thursday 14 April 2005 02:36, Bradley Reed wrote:

> Today I burnt two data backup CDs onto CD-R (I used k3b if it
> matters) and the burn went 100% fine. No errors, I can read the

Does k3b know to use the -pad cdrecord option?

If I burn without -pad, the data on the disc will fail sha1 check.