2005-04-15 16:35:10

by Linda Luu

Subject: Multi-core, Vanderpool support?

Hello,

Does anyone happen to know how the upcoming multi-core CPU will be handled
by the kernel? Does it see each core as a physical or logical CPU or ?

Vanderpool is a hardware support for OS virtualization (running multiple OS
"at the same time"), how does Linux kernel make use of this, particularly
which part of the kernel code?

I poke around the source (2.6.10) some but haven't figured both issues out
yet.

Many thanks!
Linda

2005-04-15 18:00:54

by Chris Wright

Subject: Re: Multi-core, Vanderpool support?

* Linda Luu ([email protected]) wrote:
> Vanderpool is a hardware support for OS virtualization (running multiple OS
> "at the same time"), how does Linux kernel make use of this, particularly
> which part of the kernel code?

There's Xen support for upcoming VT, which will allow running unmodified
guest.

thanks,
-chris

2005-04-19 10:13:22

by Felipe Alfaro Solana

On 4/15/05, Linda Luu <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone happen to know how the upcoming multi-core CPU will be handled
> by the kernel? Does it see each core as a physical or logical CPU or ?

Can't answer this, but I guess each core will be seen as a physical
CPU as they are real CPU cores, not just logical CPUs as with
multithreading.

> Vanderpool is a hardware support for OS virtualization (running multiple OS
> "at the same time"), how does Linux kernel make use of this, particularly
> which part of the kernel code?

At least, Xen will make great use of Vanderpool (VT) for
virtualization purpouses.