2005-05-10 08:26:31

by dipankar das

Subject: Crashing red hat linux

Hi
Does Red hat like Monta vista allow crashing the
kernel by writing to "/dev/crash" if not whats the
easiest way ?

-- Dipankar.

Yahoo! Mail

by Coywolf Qi Hunt

Subject: Re: Crashing red hat linux

On 5/10/05, dipankar das <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi
> Does Red hat like Monta vista allow crashing the
> kernel by writing to "/dev/crash" if not whats the
> easiest way ?

Is it practically useful? How is it used in monta vista?

--
Coywolf Qi Hunt
http://sosdg.org/~coywolf/

2005-05-10 10:03:52

by Raj

> Does Red hat like Monta vista allow crashing the
> kernel by writing to "/dev/crash" if not whats the
> easiest way ?

I used to insmod a driver which calls panic() during module
initialization. I used to do this for testing lkcd.

Raj

2005-05-10 10:45:03

by Coywolf Qi Hunt

On 5/10/05, Raj Inguva <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Does Red hat like Monta vista allow crashing the
> > kernel by writing to "/dev/crash" if not whats the
> > easiest way ?
> >

> I used to insmod a driver which calls panic() during module
> initialization. I used to do this for testing lkcd.

Now we have crashdump shipped with kexec.

--
Coywolf Qi Hunt
http://sosdg.org/~coywolf/

2005-05-10 15:43:36

by Lee Revell

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 01:26 -0700, dipankar das wrote:
> Hi
> Does Red hat like Monta vista allow crashing the
> kernel by writing to "/dev/crash" if not whats the
> easiest way ?

cat /dev/dsp > /dev/kmem should do it.

Lee

2005-05-10 17:53:58

by James Washer

Why oh why would one do that??

On any recent redhat kernel, simply enable magic sysrq by:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq

Then force a panic at the console by hitting ALT-SysRq-c
or by
echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger

On Tue, 10 May 2005 11:42:39 -0400
Lee Revell <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 01:26 -0700, dipankar das wrote:
> > Hi
> > Does Red hat like Monta vista allow crashing the
> > kernel by writing to "/dev/crash" if not whats the
> > easiest way ?
>
> cat /dev/dsp > /dev/kmem should do it.
>
> Lee
>
> -

by Tommy Reynolds

Uttered James Washer <[email protected]>, spake thus:

> Why oh why would one do that??

So you could check fail-over? or the crash dump setup? That's why I sent the patch.

Cheers

Attachments:
(No filename) (182.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by James Washer

My "why oh why" response was directed at the suggestion of "cat /dev/dsp > /dev/kmem should do it"

I understand the many reasons why one might wish to force a panic.

what patch??

- jim

On Tue, 10 May 2005 13:38:06 -0500
Tommy Reynolds <[email protected]> wrote:

> Uttered James Washer <[email protected]>, spake thus:
>
> > Why oh why would one do that??
>
> So you could check fail-over? or the crash dump setup? That's why I sent the patch.
>
> Cheers

2005-05-10 21:41:09

by Tommy Reynolds

Uttered James Washer <[email protected]>, spake thus:

> I understand the many reasons why one might wish to force a panic.
>

> what patch??

Internal RH patch, many moons ago.

Cheers!

Attachments: