2005-05-20 07:38:39

by Christian Parpart

Subject: snd-intel8x0 buggy on Nvidia CK804, TYAN, AMD Opteron board?

Hi all,

well, I'm just trying to listen to my music, however, it's either a no-go
(using ALSA-OSS emulation) or just a plain pain to listen to (via ALSA
directly).

In first case, I just hear nothing. A `dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/dsp` stops
at a certain byte and in my headset I hear a very high beep tone.

in second case, the music seems very deformed and the output is very buggy at
all (meaning, that it played just for a few minutes).
deformed means, that the foreground singer has been somewhat in the very
background and it overall has been very unfunny to listen to.

I was trying different players and versions anyway.

So, is this supposed to be a bug in the kernel sound driver for my certain
hardware?

nforce4 TYAN dual-opteron board (the whole system 64bit compiled, kernel:
2.6.11-r8)

battousai ~ # lspci | grep -i audio
0000:00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio
Controller (rev a2)

Regards,
Christian Parpart.

--
Netiquette: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
09:33:41 up 57 days, 22:40, 0 users, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.07 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Takashi Iwai

At Fri, 20 May 2005 09:38:15 +0200,
Christian Parpart wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> well, I'm just trying to listen to my music, however, it's either a no-go
> (using ALSA-OSS emulation) or just a plain pain to listen to (via ALSA
> directly).
>
> In first case, I just hear nothing. A `dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/dsp` stops
> at a certain byte and in my headset I hear a very high beep tone.
>
> in second case, the music seems very deformed and the output is very buggy at
> all (meaning, that it played just for a few minutes).
> deformed means, that the foreground singer has been somewhat in the very
> background and it overall has been very unfunny to listen to.
>
> I was trying different players and versions anyway.
>
> So, is this supposed to be a bug in the kernel sound driver for my certain
> hardware?

Do you run cpufreq or something related with that?

Takashi

2005-05-22 13:59:56

by Christian Parpart

On Friday, 20. May 2005 10:58, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Fri, 20 May 2005 09:38:15 +0200,
>
> Christian Parpart wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > well, I'm just trying to listen to my music, however, it's either a no-go
> > (using ALSA-OSS emulation) or just a plain pain to listen to (via ALSA
> > directly).
> >
> > In first case, I just hear nothing. A `dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/dsp`
> > stops at a certain byte and in my headset I hear a very high beep tone.
> >
> > in second case, the music seems very deformed and the output is very
> > buggy at all (meaning, that it played just for a few minutes).
> > deformed means, that the foreground singer has been somewhat in the very
> > background and it overall has been very unfunny to listen to.
> >
> > I was trying different players and versions anyway.
> >
> > So, is this supposed to be a bug in the kernel sound driver for my
> > certain hardware?
>
> Do you run cpufreq or something related with that?

Nope, sorry, I even didnt install any of these cpufreq-alike tools on my host:
AMD Opteron on a TYAN board with nForce4 chipset.

Regards,
Christian Parpart.

2005-05-23 09:18:04

by Takashi Iwai

At Sun, 22 May 2005 15:59:51 +0200,
Christian Parpart wrote:

> On Friday, 20. May 2005 10:58, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Fri, 20 May 2005 09:38:15 +0200,
> >
> > Christian Parpart wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > well, I'm just trying to listen to my music, however, it's either a no-go
> > > (using ALSA-OSS emulation) or just a plain pain to listen to (via ALSA
> > > directly).
> > >
> > > In first case, I just hear nothing. A `dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/dsp`
> > > stops at a certain byte and in my headset I hear a very high beep tone.
> > >
> > > in second case, the music seems very deformed and the output is very
> > > buggy at all (meaning, that it played just for a few minutes).
> > > deformed means, that the foreground singer has been somewhat in the very
> > > background and it overall has been very unfunny to listen to.
> > >
> > > I was trying different players and versions anyway.
> > >
> > > So, is this supposed to be a bug in the kernel sound driver for my
> > > certain hardware?
> >
> > Do you run cpufreq or something related with that?
>
> Nope, sorry, I even didnt install any of these cpufreq-alike tools on my host:
> AMD Opteron on a TYAN board with nForce4 chipset.

Well, I don't mean to activate cpufreq. Rather cpufreq may be
sometimes the cause of output noises.

Does the noise also on the analog loopback, e.g. CD or line-in?
If yes, it's likely a problem of hardware, either the broken h/w or
the bad plug/cable. Or, it's an inproper mixer configuration.
To check the mixer configuration, show the contents of
/etc/asound.state (it's generated via "alsactl store"), and
/proc/asound/card0/codec97#0/* files.

OTOH, if this happens only on PCM, it's often an interrupt problem
(typically ACPI) or the influence of cpufreq...

Takashi