2005-09-16 19:30:48

by H. Peter Anvin

Subject: [KORG] REMINDER: master.kernel.org extended downtime

master.kernel.org will be offline starting shortly after 15:00 PDT/22:00
UTC today, September 19, 2005; for a move to the University of Oregon
Open Source Lab. This should give much better bandwidth and a more
reliable backup solution, in addition to access to a real, staffed NOC.

Special thanks to Javier Henderson for volunteering to fly the machine
up there by private airplane, thus minimizing downtime.

It is expected to be back online around 12:00 PDT/19:00 UTC tomorrow,
Saturday, September 20. The new IP address of the machine will be
140.211.167.34.

-hpa

2005-09-16 20:09:19

by David Miller

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:30:22 -0700

> master.kernel.org will be offline starting shortly after 15:00
> PDT/22:00 UTC today, September 19, 2005;

Today is the 16th.

> It is expected to be back online around 12:00 PDT/19:00 UTC
> tomorrow, Saturday, September 20.

And Saturday is the 17th.

So is it going down today or Monday, the latter of which really is the
16th? :-)

2005-09-16 20:10:34

by H. Peter Anvin

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> master.kernel.org will be offline starting shortly after 15:00 PDT/22:00
> UTC today, September 19, 2005; for a move to the University of Oregon
> Open Source Lab. This should give much better bandwidth and a more
> reliable backup solution, in addition to access to a real, staffed NOC.

That should have been Oregon State University Open Source Lab. Mea culpa.

-hpa

2005-09-16 20:28:15

by H. Peter Anvin

David S. Miller wrote:

>>master.kernel.org will be offline starting shortly after 15:00
>>PDT/22:00 UTC today, September 19, 2005;
>
> Today is the 16th.
>
>>It is expected to be back online around 12:00 PDT/19:00 UTC
>>tomorrow, Saturday, September 20.
>
> And Saturday is the 17th.

Sheesh! I'm clearly not doing to well today. The machine is going down
TODAY, the 16th, and is back up TOMORROW, the 17th.

-hpa

2005-09-17 05:53:07

by Petr Baudis

Dear diary, on Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 10:27:48PM CEST, I got a letter
where "H. Peter Anvin" <[email protected]> told me that...
> David S. Miller wrote:
> >
> >>master.kernel.org will be offline starting shortly after 15:00
> >>PDT/22:00 UTC today, September 19, 2005;
> >
> >Today is the 16th.
> >
> >>It is expected to be back online around 12:00 PDT/19:00 UTC
> >>tomorrow, Saturday, September 20.
> >
> >And Saturday is the 17th.
> >

> Sheesh! I'm clearly not doing to well today. The machine is going down
> TODAY, the 16th, and is back up TOMORROW, the 17th.

So I assume the broadcast message was wrong as well, or were there some
more last-minute adjustments? ;-)

--
Petr "Pasky" Baudis
Stuff: http://pasky.or.cz/

2005-09-18 00:30:21

by Linus Torvalds

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> It is expected to be back online around 12:00 PDT/19:00 UTC tomorrow,
> Saturday, September 20. The new IP address of the machine will be
> 140.211.167.34.

Well, it's back up and working, but it looks like mirroring to the public
kernel.org machines may not have been turned on again?

Linus

2005-09-18 01:39:04

by Kees Cook

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 05:30:16PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Well, it's back up and working, but it looks like mirroring to the public
> kernel.org machines may not have been turned on again?

It was stalled, but I corrected it about an hour ago. It just finished
the first update cycle a little while ago, and it is now working on the
full daily sync, which will take a while, and then it'll be back to the
regular updates cycles again.

--
Kees Cook

by Michael Marineau

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
>> master.kernel.org will be offline starting shortly after 15:00
>> PDT/22:00 UTC today, September 19, 2005; for a move to the University
>> of Oregon Open Source Lab. This should give much better bandwidth and
>> a more reliable backup solution, in addition to access to a real,
>> staffed NOC.
>

> That should have been Oregon State University Open Source Lab. Mea culpa.
>
> -hpa

Btw, to any one interested Scott Kveton posted photos of the welcoming
party here this morning. :-)

http://osuosl.org/photos/kernel/view

--
Michael Marineau
[email protected]

Attachments:
signature.asc (256.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2005-09-18 15:05:39

by Gene Heskett

On Sunday 18 September 2005 03:31, Michael Marineau wrote:
>H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>>> master.kernel.org will be offline starting shortly after 15:00
>>> PDT/22:00 UTC today, September 19, 2005; for a move to the University
>>> of Oregon Open Source Lab. This should give much better bandwidth
>>> and a more reliable backup solution, in addition to access to a real,
>>> staffed NOC.
>>
>> That should have been Oregon State University Open Source Lab. Mea
>> culpa.
>>
>> -hpa
>
>Btw, to any one interested Scott Kveton posted photos of the welcoming
>party here this morning. :-)
>
>http://osuosl.org/photos/kernel/view

Neat! But where was the obligatory 6 pack?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

by Michael Marineau

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 18 September 2005 03:31, Michael Marineau wrote:
>
>>H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>>>That should have been Oregon State University Open Source Lab. Mea
>>>culpa.
>>>
>>> -hpa
>>
>>Btw, to any one interested Scott Kveton posted photos of the welcoming
>>party here this morning. :-)
>>
>>http://osuosl.org/photos/kernel/view
>

> Neat! But where was the obligatory 6 pack?

Those were at OSU's anual "Geeks and Steaks" bbq afterwards. ;-)

--
Michael Marineau
[email protected]

Attachments:
signature.asc (256.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2005-09-18 23:11:10

by Gene Heskett

On Sunday 18 September 2005 13:55, Michael Marineau wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>Btw, to any one interested Scott Kveton posted photos of the welcoming
>>>party here this morning. :-)
>>>
>>>http://osuosl.org/photos/kernel/view
>>
>> Neat! But where was the obligatory 6 pack?
>
>Those were at OSU's anual "Geeks and Steaks" bbq afterwards. ;-)

Which, being in WV at the time, I missed. Darn...

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: