2005-09-22 13:14:49

by Rolf Offermanns

Subject: Linus GIT tree disappeared from http://www.kernel.org/git/?

Maybe I am dreaming, but I could have sworn it has been there yesterday...
-Rolf

2005-09-22 13:32:35

by Russell King

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 03:14:43PM +0200, Rolf Offermanns wrote:
> Maybe I am dreaming, but I could have sworn it has been there yesterday...

It seems that kernel.org hasn't finished updating the mirrors yet -
and it seems to be taking hours. Unfortunately, this has left Linus'
public git tree in an inconsistent state.

I won't speculate why stuff is so slow - that's for the kernel.org
admins to work out.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core

2005-09-22 13:35:56

by Jens Axboe

On Thu, Sep 22 2005, Russell King wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 03:14:43PM +0200, Rolf Offermanns wrote:
> > Maybe I am dreaming, but I could have sworn it has been there yesterday...
>
> It seems that kernel.org hasn't finished updating the mirrors yet -
> and it seems to be taking hours. Unfortunately, this has left Linus'
> public git tree in an inconsistent state.

Actually it's getting closer to days (last I checked it was over half a
day), which really is a shame as it basically destroys the usability of
having git repos available there... Lets hope it gets fixed soon.

--
Jens Axboe

2005-09-22 13:42:44

by Russell King

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 03:36:22PM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22 2005, Russell King wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 03:14:43PM +0200, Rolf Offermanns wrote:
> > > Maybe I am dreaming, but I could have sworn it has been there yesterday...
> >
> > It seems that kernel.org hasn't finished updating the mirrors yet -
> > and it seems to be taking hours. Unfortunately, this has left Linus'
> > public git tree in an inconsistent state.
>
> Actually it's getting closer to days (last I checked it was over half a
> day), which really is a shame as it basically destroys the usability of
> having git repos available there... Lets hope it gets fixed soon.

I think it isn't taking days, based upon the start times of the
processes I saw earlier today and yesterday.

If not already done, maybe the kernel.org ftp admins would prefer
to be informed about the problem? Reporting the problems with
kernel.org to lkml might only reach folk who use the services, not
those who provide them.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core

2005-09-22 13:56:42

by Jens Axboe

On Thu, Sep 22 2005, Russell King wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 03:36:22PM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > >
> > > It seems that kernel.org hasn't finished updating the mirrors yet -
> > > and it seems to be taking hours. Unfortunately, this has left Linus'
> > > public git tree in an inconsistent state.
> >
> > Actually it's getting closer to days (last I checked it was over half a
> > day), which really is a shame as it basically destroys the usability of
> > having git repos available there... Lets hope it gets fixed soon.
>
> I think it isn't taking days, based upon the start times of the
> processes I saw earlier today and yesterday.

No not days, half a day at least :)

> If not already done, maybe the kernel.org ftp admins would prefer
> to be informed about the problem? Reporting the problems with
> kernel.org to lkml might only reach folk who use the services, not
> those who provide them.

I already informed hpa earlier today. I did the same thing a while back
when we were getting close to 4-6 hour sync time and they did fix
"something" back then. So hopefully they can figure it out again...

--
Jens Axboe

2005-09-22 14:33:51

by Luben Tuikov

On 09/22/05 09:57, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22 2005, Russell King wrote:

>>>Actually it's getting closer to days (last I checked it was over half a
>>>day), which really is a shame as it basically destroys the usability of
>>>having git repos available there... Lets hope it gets fixed soon.
>>
>>I think it isn't taking days, based upon the start times of the
>>processes I saw earlier today and yesterday.
>

> No not days, half a day at least :)
>

>>If not already done, maybe the kernel.org ftp admins would prefer
>>to be informed about the problem? Reporting the problems with
>>kernel.org to lkml might only reach folk who use the services, not
>>those who provide them.

Yes, hopefully they can fix that soon.

Whatever it is, it seems to be affecting only Linus' git tree,
as it seems all other git trees are accounted for.

Luben

2005-09-22 15:28:41

by Randy Dunlap

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Jens Axboe wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 22 2005, Russell King wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 03:14:43PM +0200, Rolf Offermanns wrote:
> > > Maybe I am dreaming, but I could have sworn it has been there yesterday...
> >
> > It seems that kernel.org hasn't finished updating the mirrors yet -
> > and it seems to be taking hours. Unfortunately, this has left Linus'
> > public git tree in an inconsistent state.
>
> Actually it's getting closer to days (last I checked it was over half a
> day), which really is a shame as it basically destroys the usability of
> having git repos available there... Lets hope it gets fixed soon.

then let's at least keep the daily snapshots updated... 8;)

--
~Randy

2005-09-22 15:32:22

by Gene Heskett

On Thursday 22 September 2005 09:32, Russell King wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 03:14:43PM +0200, Rolf Offermanns wrote:
>> Maybe I am dreaming, but I could have sworn it has been there
>> yesterday...
>
>It seems that kernel.org hasn't finished updating the mirrors yet -
>and it seems to be taking hours. Unfortunately, this has left Linus'
>public git tree in an inconsistent state.
>
>I won't speculate why stuff is so slow - that's for the kernel.org
>admins to work out.

I have made 4 passes at re-grabbing the 2.6.14-rc2 with git, and each
time it exits with an error, but the tree it grabs looks to be ok.
Somethings a bit wonky here.

The error:

tags/v2.6.14-rc2

sent 563 bytes received 2778 bytes 954.57 bytes/sec
total size is 779 speedup is 0.23
rsync: link_stat
"/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/objects/info/alternates"
(in pub) failed: No such fi
le or directory (2)
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
main.c(812)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

by Luben Tuikov

On 09/22/05 11:31, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 22 September 2005 09:32, Russell King wrote:
>
>>On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 03:14:43PM +0200, Rolf Offermanns wrote:
>>
>>>Maybe I am dreaming, but I could have sworn it has been there
>>>yesterday...
>>
>>It seems that kernel.org hasn't finished updating the mirrors yet -
>>and it seems to be taking hours. Unfortunately, this has left Linus'
>>public git tree in an inconsistent state.
>>
>>I won't speculate why stuff is so slow - that's for the kernel.org
>>admins to work out.
>

> I have made 4 passes at re-grabbing the 2.6.14-rc2 with git, and each
> time it exits with an error, but the tree it grabs looks to be ok.
> Somethings a bit wonky here.
>
> The error:
>
> tags/v2.6.14-rc2
>
> sent 563 bytes received 2778 bytes 954.57 bytes/sec
> total size is 779 speedup is 0.23
> rsync: link_stat
> "/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/objects/info/alternates"
> (in pub) failed: No such fi
> le or directory (2)
> rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
> main.c(812)

The reason is that all metadata, tags, etc is there.
See for yourself:
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=tags

Luben

2005-09-22 16:13:34

by Gene Heskett

On Thursday 22 September 2005 11:56, Luben Tuikov wrote:
>On 09/22/05 11:31, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>>
>>>It seems that kernel.org hasn't finished updating the mirrors yet -
>>>and it seems to be taking hours. Unfortunately, this has left
Linus'
>>>public git tree in an inconsistent state.
>>>
>>>I won't speculate why stuff is so slow - that's for the kernel.org
>>>admins to work out.
>>
>> I have made 4 passes at re-grabbing the 2.6.14-rc2 with git, and
each
>> time it exits with an error, but the tree it grabs looks to be ok.
>> Somethings a bit wonky here.
>>
>> The error:
>>
>> tags/v2.6.14-rc2
>>
>> sent 563 bytes received 2778 bytes 954.57 bytes/sec
>> total size is 779 speedup is 0.23
>> rsync: link_stat

"/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/objects/info/alternates"
>> (in pub) failed: No such fi
>> le or directory (2)
>> rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
>> main.c(812)
>
>The reason is that all metadata, tags, etc is there.
>See for yourself:
>http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;
a=t
>ags
>
> Luben

Well, I think what I was trying to ask but got lost in the bushes was
"do I have a valid download?" and, how do I go about keeping it upto
date now that I have it? I've read about half the git.txt stuff in
the Documentation dir, but nothing sticks out as being the magic
updater command.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

by Linus Torvalds

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I have made 4 passes at re-grabbing the 2.6.14-rc2 with git, and each
> time it exits with an error, but the tree it grabs looks to be ok.

This is a buglet in "git fetch", which only happens with rsync, I think.

> The error:
> "/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/objects/info/alternates"
> (in pub) failed: No such file or directory (2)

Ignore it. It gives this warning because I don't have an alternates
directory, but it really shouldn't. _Most_ archives don't have alternates.

It's fixed in the current git already. I thought it was fixed in 0.99.7
already, but regardless, this error is harmless and should just be
ignored.

Linus

2005-09-22 17:37:47

by Sean

On Thu, September 22, 2005 12:12 pm, Gene Heskett said:

> Well, I think what I was trying to ask but got lost in the bushes was
> "do I have a valid download?" and, how do I go about keeping it upto
> date now that I have it? I've read about half the git.txt stuff in
> the Documentation dir, but nothing sticks out as being the magic
> updater command.

Gene,

In order to update your copy of the kernel repository just run "git pull".
Unfortunately there still seem to be some issues with kernel.org,
hopefully that'll be fixed up soon.

The warning you're getting from git about "alternates" will be fixed in
the next release of git. You _could_ use your current version of git to
track the official git repository and get this fix before it's officially
released:

$ cd ~
$ git clone rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git/ git-repo
$ cd git-repo
$ git checkout
$ make install

Which should upgrade your current version of git to the very latest.
After which you can upgrade git whenever you like by running:

$ cd ~/git-repo
$ git pull
$ make install

Cheers,
Sean

2005-09-22 21:09:56

by Gene Heskett

On Thursday 22 September 2005 13:37, Sean wrote:
>On Thu, September 22, 2005 12:12 pm, Gene Heskett said:
>> Well, I think what I was trying to ask but got lost in the bushes was
>> "do I have a valid download?" and, how do I go about keeping it upto
>> date now that I have it? I've read about half the git.txt stuff in
>> the Documentation dir, but nothing sticks out as being the magic
>> updater command.
>
>Gene,
>
>In order to update your copy of the kernel repository just run "git
> pull". Unfortunately there still seem to be some issues with
> kernel.org, hopefully that'll be fixed up soon.
>
>The warning you're getting from git about "alternates" will be fixed in
>the next release of git. You _could_ use your current version of git
> to track the official git repository and get this fix before it's
> officially released:
>
>$ cd ~
>$ git clone rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git/ git-repo
>$ cd git-repo
>$ git checkout
>$ make install
>
>Which should upgrade your current version of git to the very latest.
>After which you can upgrade git whenever you like by running:
>
>$ cd ~/git-repo
>$ git pull
>$ make install
>
>Cheers,
>Sean

Thanks, I've printed this, and as soon as BDI-4.29.iso is here so I
have some bandwidth, I'll give it a shot. But I think I'll do it in
/usr/src rather than ~=/root. Is that going to be a problem?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

by Gene Heskett

On Thursday 22 September 2005 12:52, Linus Torvalds wrote:
[...]
>It's fixed in the current git already. I thought it was fixed in
0.99.7
>already, but regardless, this error is harmless and should just be
>ignored.
>
> Linus

I see, thanks.

--