2005-10-05 16:27:14

by Marc Perkel

Subject: Why is this list using Majordomo?

Instead of a smarter more modern list software package like Mailman?

--
Marc Perkel - [email protected]

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com

2005-10-05 16:41:50

by Charles Cazabon

Subject: Re: Why is this list using Majordomo?

Marc Perkel <[email protected]> wrote:
> Instead of a smarter more modern list software package like Mailman?

First you say the Linux kernel is "laughable" and should copy Netware instead.
Now you say the (existing, working) list manager is no good, without saying
why.

Are you a troll?

Charles
Charles Cazabon <[email protected]>
GPL'ed software available at: http://pyropus.ca/software/

by Bernd Petrovitsch

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 09:27 -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> Instead of a smarter more modern list software package like Mailman?

Because the list-admins decided that way.

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55

2005-10-05 17:19:42

by linux-os (Dick Johnson)

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Marc Perkel wrote:

> Instead of a smarter more modern list software package like Mailman?

Because the maintainer of the list invented it and it's better than
all the other clones.

> --
> Marc Perkel - [email protected]

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.13 on an i686 machine (5589.55 BogoMips).
Warning : 98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to [email protected] - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

Thank you.

2005-10-05 17:28:24

by Matti Aarnio

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 09:27:11AM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:27:11 -0700
> From: Marc Perkel <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Why is this list using Majordomo?
>
> Instead of a smarter more modern list software package like Mailman?

Have you ever tried to run a list with volumes like ours,
and opennes (for posting) requirements like ours ?

I have had some experience with those "more modern" beasts,
and sure they are pretty with web-interfaces, but try to
manage them thru that web-junk, when they have several
thousand blocked junk messages to be discarded...

We manage this thing with custom command-line utilities.
In the early days there was no such a thing as "web", for
example, and we really haven't seen anything so truly
worthwhile in any new systems to warrant switching entire
system over to them. (And we have seen so much BAD in
those eye-candy things that...)

I sure may sound like "if it was good enough for your grandpa,
it shall be good enough for you" -- but if one can't send email
to the Majordomo (and manage to follow those basic instructions),
perhaps they should not subscribe either...

> --
> Marc Perkel - [email protected]
> Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
> My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com

/Matti Aarnio -- one of <[email protected]>

2005-10-05 20:26:37

by Matti Aarnio

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 01:19:29PM -0400, linux-os (Dick Johnson) wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Marc Perkel wrote:
> > Instead of a smarter more modern list software package like Mailman?
>
> Because the maintainer of the list invented it and it's better than
> all the other clones.

Sorry, none of us is Brent Chapman. :-)
But Majordomo is better than any other in free/open software
then or since in my experience.

Part of VGERs performance success is ZMailer MTA, of which current
main author I am, and our Majordomo installation uses several optimized
auxiliary programs to speed things up so that MTA takes up large share
of processing load with least possible CPU or IO expenditure.

> > --
> > Marc Perkel - [email protected]
>
> Cheers,
> Dick Johnson

/Matti Aarnio

2005-10-07 00:31:05

by Joe Bob Spamtest

Marc Perkel wrote:
> Instead of a smarter more modern list software package like Mailman?

Am I the only one that smells troll?

2005-10-07 00:38:43

by Alejandro Bonilla

Joe Bob Spamtest wrote:

> Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> Instead of a smarter more modern list software package like Mailman?
>

> Am I the only one that smells troll?

sniff sniff, I dunno, he is just making a point and I think It was
already answered.

.Alejandro