2005-10-05 19:27:55

by umesh chandak

Subject: Waring in kernel 2.6.10

hi,
I have compiled a kernel 2.6.10 on FC3 it
gives me the warning like this

Warning: unable to open an initial console.

Plz help me out

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

2005-10-05 19:40:57

by Arjan van de Ven

Subject: Re: Waring in kernel 2.6.10

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 12:27 -0700, umesh chandak wrote:
> hi,
> I have compiled a kernel 2.6.10 on FC3 it
> gives me the warning like this

you forgot to make an initrd.

you're best of using "make install" as last step in your kernel build
process, that does the initrd automatic and as a bonus also adds your
kernel to the grub bootloader automatically

2005-10-05 19:43:00

by Valdis Klētnieks

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 12:27:54 PDT, umesh chandak said:

Not actually a kernel problem, most likely...

> I have compiled a kernel 2.6.10 on FC3 it
> gives me the warning like this

> Warning: unable to open an initial console.

It can't find /dev/console.

Most likely, you're running with either no initrd or a busticated one.

FC3 assumes you're using an initrd, and that the initrd has a number of
files already defined in a small /dev that's used to get things started,
and /dev/console is one of those things.

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)

2005-10-05 19:47:49

by Jesper Juhl

On 10/5/05, umesh chandak <[email protected]> wrote:
> hi,
> I have compiled a kernel 2.6.10 on FC3 it
> gives me the warning like this
>

> Warning: unable to open an initial console.

Did you remember to enable the proper console related options in your
kernel; like CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE, CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE etc.
I guess it could also be problem with an old or incorrectly configured
udev so it can't find /dev/console or it could be a problem with your
initrd.

And if you could be bothered to stick "Warning: unable to open an
initial console." in google you'll see that you are not the first to
have a problem like that and there is *lots* of help available out
there.
Do a little research please (and if you've already done some research,
then letting people know what you've already checked when posting your
question is usually a good idea).

May I recommend this document :

Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>