2005-10-06 18:59:23

by umesh chandak

Subject: about FC3 2.6.10 ..........

Hi,
I have compiled a 2.6.10 on FC3.It
compiled successfully .But When i boot to this option
,it gives me warning
Warning: unable to open an initial console
I know this is due to something genromfs . I also read
about romfs in documentation .
In my .config file romfs type is y (built in ).

What should i do ?
Waiting for reply .
Thanks in advance .

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

2005-10-06 19:25:34

by Valdis Klētnieks

Subject: Re: about FC3 2.6.10 ..........

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:59:22 PDT, umesh chandak said:
> Hi,
> I have compiled a 2.6.10 on FC3.It
> compiled successfully .But When i boot to this option
> ,it gives me warning
> Warning: unable to open an initial console
> I know this is due to something genromfs . I also read
> about romfs in documentation .

(Not a kernel question - next time, ask on one of the Fedora lists at redhat.com)

Getting FC3 to run on on a romfs based system will be a challenge. In any
case, romfs has approximately zero to do with your problem.

What you've almost certainly done is forgotten to do a proper 'mkinitrd' -
FC3 and later need an initrd to get going in most cases. (Specifically,
your initrd image needs to have a /dev/console entry in the /dev on the
initrd filesystem, and you don't have one).

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)

2005-10-06 21:25:08

by Jiri Slaby

[email protected] napsal(a):

>On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:59:22 PDT, umesh chandak said:
>

>>Hi,
>> I have compiled a 2.6.10 on FC3.It
>>compiled successfully .But When i boot to this option
>>,it gives me warning
>> Warning: unable to open an initial console
>>I know this is due to something genromfs . I also read
>>about romfs in documentation .
>>

>(Not a kernel question - next time, ask on one of the Fedora lists at redhat.com)
>
>Getting FC3 to run on on a romfs based system will be a challenge. In any
>case, romfs has approximately zero to do with your problem.
>
>What you've almost certainly done is forgotten to do a proper 'mkinitrd' -
>FC3 and later need an initrd to get going in most cases. (Specifically,
>your initrd image needs to have a /dev/console entry in the /dev on the

Yes, but I really don't know how many times we should tell him this,
unless he understands it, grr.
[Your post is at least the third reply to this question :(].

--
Jiri Slaby http://www.fi.muni.cz/~xslaby
~\-/~ [email protected] ~\-/~