2005-10-09 23:48:29

by jeff shia

Subject: What is the vanilla kernel?

Hi,

I googled it but could not find the answer.
Is it the standard linux kernel?
Thank you.

jeffshia

2005-10-10 00:20:14

by Mark Knecht

Subject: Re: What is the vanilla kernel?

It's whatever kernel is offered as the main line stable kernel at
http://www.kernel.org. This kernel will have all the ice cream of Linux
without any of the special flavorings of the different distros.

Hope this helps,
Mark

On 10/9/05, jeff shia <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I googled it but could not find the answer.
> Is it the standard linux kernel?
> Thank you.
>
> jeffshia
> -

by Grant Coady

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 07:48:27 +0800, jeff shia <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I googled it but could not find the answer.
>Is it the standard linux kernel?

Yes it is, as opposed to modified distro-supplied kernels.

The term 'vanilla' has been used for a long time, sometimes as
a synonym for Linus' kernel back when we bounced between vanilla
or -acX depending on which flavour booted that week...

Grant.

2005-10-10 06:17:15

by Steven Rostedt

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, jeff shia wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I googled it but could not find the answer.
> Is it the standard linux kernel?
> Thank you.

It's the one with no chocolate syrup ;-)

Actually I just tried googling "define vanilla kernel" and the first hit
was:

"Web definitions for Vanilla kernel" en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_kernel
which does have the definition of the "vanilla" kernel.

Hmm, It also says under Maintainers:

2.2 Marc-Christian Petersen (formerly Alan Cox)

Did Alan Cox change his name? :-)

-- Steve

2005-10-10 06:40:07

by Qi Yong

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 02:17:05AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, jeff shia wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I googled it but could not find the answer.
> > Is it the standard linux kernel?
> > Thank you.
> >

> It's the one with no chocolate syrup ;-)
>
> Actually I just tried googling "define vanilla kernel" and the first hit
> was:
>
> "Web definitions for Vanilla kernel" en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_kernel
> which does have the definition of the "vanilla" kernel.
>
> Hmm, It also says under Maintainers:
>
> 2.2 Marc-Christian Petersen (formerly Alan Cox)
>
> Did Alan Cox change his name? :-)

It means Alan Cox was once the maintainer.

Coywolf

2005-10-10 06:55:31

by Steven Rostedt

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Coywolf Qi Hunt wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 02:17:05AM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, It also says under Maintainers:
> >
> > 2.2 Marc-Christian Petersen (formerly Alan Cox)
> >
> > Did Alan Cox change his name? :-)
>
> It means Alan Cox was once the maintainer.

:)

After sending this, I told my coworkers: Now watch, I'm going to actually
get a response from some guy telling me that "Alan Cox was once the
maintainer".

I know that! Don't people know what a ":-)" is for?

-- Steve

2005-10-10 07:12:21

by Jan Knutar

On Monday 10 October 2005 09:17, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> 2.2 Marc-Christian Petersen (formerly Alan Cox)
>
> Did Alan Cox change his name? :-)

I guess he was the first to blink and change it, to eradicate the confusion
arising from FreeBSD also having an Alan Cox ;-)

2005-10-10 09:12:32

by Patrick McFarland

On Monday 10 October 2005 02:55 am, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> After sending this, I told my coworkers: Now watch, I'm going to actually
> get a response from some guy telling me that "Alan Cox was once the
> maintainer".

Bonus points for getting the mailing list's own Chinese troll to do it.

--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || [email protected]

by jeff shia

I still have some questions.
The stable kernel is called vanilla?but the file name is linux-version.tar.gz?
Such as the kenrel linux-2.6.8.tar.gz can be called a vanilla?
Thank you. :-)

2005-10-10 10:34:53

by Stefan Smietanowski

2005-10-10 10:45:45

by James Bruce

jeff shia wrote:
> I still have some questions.
> The stable kernel is called vanilla?but the file name is linux-version.tar.gz?
> Such as the kenrel linux-2.6.8.tar.gz can be called a vanilla?

The term "vanilla" is short for "plain vanilla", which means lacking in
adornments or extra features. It is derived from the use of vanilla as
a basic flavor in deserts to which other optional flavors may be added.
For the kernel, vanilla simply refers to Linus' kernel with no extra
patches applied to it.

Example:
2.6.13 is a vanilla kernel
2.6.13-rt3 is not (it's vanilla 2.6.13 + rt patches)

- Jim Bruce