2005-10-10 16:34:18

by Gerhard Mack

Subject: Direct Rendering drivers for ATI X300 ?

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there are working open source DRM drivers that work
on recent 2.6.x kernels for the ATI X300? I've tried dri.sourceforge.net
and r300 but neither seems to even bother compiling. I've spent several
hours on google without luck.

Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack

[email protected]

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

2005-10-10 16:41:31

by Martin Drab

Subject: Re: Direct Rendering drivers for ATI X300 ?

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Gerhard Mack wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can anyone tell me if there are working open source DRM drivers that work
> on recent 2.6.x kernels for the ATI X300? I've tried dri.sourceforge.net
> and r300 but neither seems to even bother compiling. I've spent several
> hours on google without luck.
>
> Gerhard

Have you seen this

http://r300.sourceforge.net/

However, I'm not sure how much useable it is allready. Perhaps not much.
Otherwise you would probably either have to stick with the ATI's binary
drivers or open source unaccelerated drivers. I'm not aware of anything
else being available for recent ATI chips.

Martin

2005-10-10 16:49:59

by Benoit Boissinot

On 10/10/05, Martin Drab <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Gerhard Mack wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if there are working open source DRM drivers that work
> > on recent 2.6.x kernels for the ATI X300? I've tried dri.sourceforge.net
> > and r300 but neither seems to even bother compiling. I've spent several
> > hours on google without luck.
> >
> > Gerhard
>
> Have you seen this
>
> http://r300.sourceforge.net/

i think it is now in mesa/xorg cvs:
from their website
"07/22/05 Latest version of Mesa and DRM drivers have been accepted
in DRM and Mesa CVS trees on freedesktop.org CVS"

regards,

Benoit

2005-10-10 16:52:01

by Gerhard Mack

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Martin Drab wrote:

> Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:41:27 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Martin Drab <[email protected]>
> To: Gerhard Mack <[email protected]>
> Cc: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: Direct Rendering drivers for ATI X300 ?
>
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Gerhard Mack wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if there are working open source DRM drivers that work
> > on recent 2.6.x kernels for the ATI X300? I've tried dri.sourceforge.net
> > and r300 but neither seems to even bother compiling. I've spent several
> > hours on google without luck.
> >
> > Gerhard
>
> Have you seen this
>
> http://r300.sourceforge.net/
>
> However, I'm not sure how much useable it is allready. Perhaps not much.
> Otherwise you would probably either have to stick with the ATI's binary
> drivers or open source unaccelerated drivers. I'm not aware of anything
> else being available for recent ATI chips.

Although those drivers support the card, they do not compile on recent
kernels. I managed to hack it to compile and then ended up with X being
unable to access the /dev/dri/card* devices.

Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack

[email protected]

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

2005-10-10 16:56:15

by Martin Drab

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Gerhard Mack wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Martin Drab wrote:
>
> > Have you seen this
> >
> > http://r300.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > However, I'm not sure how much useable it is allready. Perhaps not much.
> > Otherwise you would probably either have to stick with the ATI's binary
> > drivers or open source unaccelerated drivers. I'm not aware of anything
> > else being available for recent ATI chips.
>
> Although those drivers support the card, they do not compile on recent
> kernels. I managed to hack it to compile and then ended up with X being
> unable to access the /dev/dri/card* devices.

Then check the permissions.

Martin

2005-10-10 16:56:41

by Martin Drab

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Benoit Boissinot wrote:

> On 10/10/05, Martin Drab <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Gerhard Mack wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me if there are working open source DRM drivers that work
> > > on recent 2.6.x kernels for the ATI X300? I've tried dri.sourceforge.net
> > > and r300 but neither seems to even bother compiling. I've spent several
> > > hours on google without luck.
> > >
> > > Gerhard
> >
> > Have you seen this
> >
> > http://r300.sourceforge.net/
> >

> i think it is now in mesa/xorg cvs:
> from their website
> "07/22/05 Latest version of Mesa and DRM drivers have been accepted
> in DRM and Mesa CVS trees on freedesktop.org CVS"
>
> regards,
>
> Benoit

Yes, you are correct.

Martin

2005-10-10 17:08:08

by Gerhard Mack

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Martin Drab wrote:

> Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:56:11 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Martin Drab <[email protected]>
> To: Gerhard Mack <[email protected]>
> Cc: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: Direct Rendering drivers for ATI X300 ?
>
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Gerhard Mack wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Martin Drab wrote:
> >
> > > Have you seen this
> > >
> > > http://r300.sourceforge.net/
> > >
> > > However, I'm not sure how much useable it is allready. Perhaps not much.
> > > Otherwise you would probably either have to stick with the ATI's binary
> > > drivers or open source unaccelerated drivers. I'm not aware of anything
> > > else being available for recent ATI chips.
> >
> > Although those drivers support the card, they do not compile on recent
> > kernels. I managed to hack it to compile and then ended up with X being
> > unable to access the /dev/dri/card* devices.
>
> Then check the permissions.
>
> Martin

Strangely enough the directory is empty.. if I use mknod to create the
files they get removed as soon as X loads.

--
Gerhard Mack

[email protected]

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

2005-10-10 19:00:44

by Lars Roland

On 10/10/05, Gerhard Mack <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone tell me if there are working open source DRM drivers that work
> on recent 2.6.x kernels for the ATI X300? I've tried dri.sourceforge.net
> and r300 but neither seems to even bother compiling. I've spent several
> hours on google without luck.
>
> Gerhard

What are your dmesg reporting, when loading the modules, if you see
something along these lines:

-------------------
[drm] Initialized drm 1.0.0 20040925
PCI: Unable to reserve mem region #1:8000000@c0000000 for device 0000:01:00.0
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.19.0 20050911 on minor 0:
[drm] Used old pci detect: framebuffer loaded
mtrr: 0xc0000000,0x8000000 overlaps existing 0xc0000000,0x4000000
[drm:radeon_do_init_cp] *ERROR* Cannot use PCI Express without GART in
FB memory
-------------------

then you may have hit a possible x300/pci express issue - other than
that I have it working perfectly here with kernel 2.6.14rc1, Quake3 is
playable (although I am experiencing some minor problems with MergedFB
combined with 3D gaming). I have written a small guide for Gentoo that
explains how to get DRI/DRM working with R300 (and newer cards) all
though you may not use Gentoo it should be very easy to get it working
on other distributions:

The guide is here:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-374745-highlight-r300.html

--------------
Regards.

Lars Roland

2005-10-11 00:26:45

by Dave Airlie

> What are your dmesg reporting, when loading the modules, if you see
> something along these lines:

For PCI Express Radeon cards:

The kernel portions are in my -git tree ready for pushing to Linus
after the next release is made,

The userspace portions requires X.org/Mesa/DRM CVS trees.

The DRM CVS also contains the kernel portions....

Dave.

2005-10-11 02:23:20

by Gerhard Mack

Is there an entry for this card?

0000:05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60
[Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
0000:05:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Radeon
X300SE]

0000:05:00.0 0300: 1002:5b60
0000:05:00.1 0380: 1002:5b70

Gerhard

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Dave Airlie wrote

--
Gerhard Mack

[email protected]

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

2005-10-11 02:22:43

by Gerhard Mack

I found the problem.. there is no entry in pciids.h for my card:

--
Gerhard Mack

[email protected]

<>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

2005-10-11 05:57:12

by Xavier Bestel

Le mardi 11 octobre 2005 ? 10:26 +1000, Dave Airlie a ?crit :

> For PCI Express Radeon cards:
>
> The kernel portions are in my -git tree ready for pushing to Linus
> after the next release is made,

Is the kernel support for AGP R300 already in the kernel, or is it
scheduled to go later ?

Thnaks,
Xav

2005-10-11 07:13:43

by Dave Airlie

> Le mardi 11 o
> > For PCI Express Radeon cards:
> >
> > The kernel portions are in my -git tree ready for pushing to Linus
> > after the next release is made,
>
> Is the kernel support for AGP R300 already in the kernel, or is it
> scheduled to go later ?

Should be there since 2.6.13....

Dave.

2005-10-11 20:02:07

by Xavier Bestel

Le mardi 11 octobre 2005 ? 17:13 +1000, Dave Airlie a ?crit :
> > Le mardi 11 o
> > > For PCI Express Radeon cards:
> > >
> > > The kernel portions are in my -git tree ready for pushing to Linus
> > > after the next release is made,
> >
> > Is the kernel support for AGP R300 already in the kernel, or is it
> > scheduled to go later ?
> >

> Should be there since 2.6.13....

Ok, I'll test it then.
Thanks,

Xav

2005-10-11 23:34:35

by Nicolas Mailhot

Dave Airlie wrote :

> For PCI Express Radeon cards:

> The kernel portions are in my -git tree ready for pushing to Linus
> after the next release is made,

> The userspace portions requires X.org/Mesa/DRM CVS trees.

Does this include all PCIE Radeon card, not just X300-based ?
I have a X700

Nicolas Mailhot

Attachments:
signature.asc (197.00 B)
Ceci est une partie de message num?riquement sign

2005-10-12 02:39:55

by Marek Wawrzyczny

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 09:34, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Dave Airlie wrote :
> > For PCI Express Radeon cards:
> >
> > The kernel portions are in my -git tree ready for pushing to Linus
> > after the next release is made,
> >
> > The userspace portions requires X.org/Mesa/DRM CVS trees.
>
> Does this include all PCIE Radeon card, not just X300-based ?
> I have a X700
>
> Regards,

Since someone raised the issue, how about the X600 PCIE? Info on it is scarce
and what's out there has not worked for me.

Cheers,

Marek W