2005-10-12 14:12:19

by Bastian Blank

Subject: modalias entries for ccw devices

Hi Martin

The ccw devices currently don't have a modalias spec in sysfs. This
makes it impossible to ask udev for loading the modules.

Are there any patches pending?

Bastian

--
There is a multi-legged creature crawling on your shoulder.
-- Spock, "A Taste of Armageddon", stardate 3193.9

2005-10-12 14:37:06

by Martin Schwidefsky

Subject: Re: modalias entries for ccw devices

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 16:12 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:

Hi Bastian,

> The ccw devices currently don't have a modalias spec in sysfs. This
> makes it impossible to ask udev for loading the modules.

Hmm, never heard of modalias. Arnd has done the module loading for ccw
devices. That must be something rather new.

> Are there any patches pending?

No, but as far as I can tell after glancing at the modalias
implementation in usb this would make sense for ccw as well.

--
blue skies,
Martin

Martin Schwidefsky
Linux for zSeries Development & Services
IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH

2005-10-12 15:48:51

by Bastian Blank

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 04:36:58PM +0200, Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
> Hmm, never heard of modalias. Arnd has done the module loading for ccw
> devices. That must be something rather new.

Yes, it is rather new.

> No, but as far as I can tell after glancing at the modalias
> implementation in usb this would make sense for ccw as well.

Hmm, I don't find device tables in ctc.ko and lcs.ko, can that be fixed
at the same time?

Hmm, something else. Wasn't there a cu type or device type clash between
escon and lcs, or was that only related to chan types reported by the
2.4 kernels?

Bastian

--
Emotions are alien to me. I'm a scientist.
-- Spock, "This Side of Paradise", stardate 3417.3

Attachments:
(No filename) (696.00 B)
signature.asc (197.00 B)
Digital signature

by Martin Schwidefsky

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 17:48 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > No, but as far as I can tell after glancing at the modalias
> > implementation in usb this would make sense for ccw as well.
>
> Hmm, I don't find device tables in ctc.ko and lcs.ko, can that be fixed
> at the same time?

That is because ctc and lcs are group device drivers. The ccw device
driver is the cu3088 driver. You'll get an lcs/ctc device by "grouping"
two of the cu3088 device together.

> Hmm, something else. Wasn't there a cu type or device type clash between
> escon and lcs, or was that only related to chan types reported by the
> 2.4 kernels?

Yes, the 2.6 group devices have emerged from the 2.4 chandev devices
(and thank god that we got rid of that junk).

--
blue skies,
Martin

Martin Schwidefsky
Linux for zSeries Development & Services
IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH

2005-10-12 16:37:44

by Bastian Blank

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 06:11:12PM +0200, Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
> That is because ctc and lcs are group device drivers. The ccw device
> driver is the cu3088 driver. You'll get an lcs/ctc device by "grouping"
> two of the cu3088 device together.

Okay. But should work anyway.

I implemented it half through, will test that tomorrow.

Bastian

--
There are always alternatives.
-- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3

Attachments:
(No filename) (432.00 B)
signature.asc (197.00 B)
Digital signature