2005-10-28 20:09:36

by Horst H. von Brand

Subject: SPARC64: Configuration offers keyboards that don't make sense

On my Sun I get the following offers:

AT Keyboard
Sun types 4 and 5
DECstation LK201/LK401
XT keyboard
Newton keyboard

Unless I am very mistaken, only the second one applies?

Also, configuring this one gives a non-functional keyboard (the machine is
running, I can log in over SSH, but keypresses have no effect at all).

Should I be looking elsewhere for SPARC support?

Thanks!

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

On Fri, 2005-10-28 17:09:31 -0300, Horst von Brand <[email protected]> wrote:
> On my Sun I get the following offers:
>
> AT Keyboard
> Sun types 4 and 5
> DECstation LK201/LK401
> XT keyboard
> Newton keyboard
>
> Unless I am very mistaken, only the second one applies?

Well, the LK[24]01 was used by DECstations and VAXstations (as well as
some VT terminals), you can use it with a simple adaptor on any
machine that has a RS232 serial port. For example, I'm using such a
keyboard on my Athlon-based PeeCee.

> Also, configuring this one gives a non-functional keyboard (the machine is
> running, I can log in over SSH, but keypresses have no effect at all).

Did the serial port register serio ports?

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw [email protected] . +49-172-7608481 _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg _ _ O

(No filename) (1.04 kB)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Ben Collins

I used to have an UltraSPARC clone that needed the AT Keyboard. So, no, it's
not a mistake.

As far as your issue with the keyboard not working, did you enable
everything, like USB? What sort of ultrasparc is it?

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 05:09:31PM -0300, Horst von Brand wrote:
> On my Sun I get the following offers:
>
> AT Keyboard
> Sun types 4 and 5
> DECstation LK201/LK401
> XT keyboard
> Newton keyboard
>
> Unless I am very mistaken, only the second one applies?
>
> Also, configuring this one gives a non-functional keyboard (the machine is
> running, I can log in over SSH, but keypresses have no effect at all).
>
> Should I be looking elsewhere for SPARC support?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Dr. Horst H. von Brand User #22616 counter.li.org
> Departamento de Informatica Fono: +56 32 654431
> Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria +56 32 654239
> Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile Fax: +56 32 797513
> -

Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/
Debian - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/
SwissDisk - http://www.swissdisk.com/

2005-10-29 00:15:54

by Horst H. von Brand

Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-28 17:09:31 -0300, Horst von Brand <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On my Sun I get the following offers:
> >
> > AT Keyboard
> > Sun types 4 and 5
> > DECstation LK201/LK401
> > XT keyboard
> > Newton keyboard
> >
> > Unless I am very mistaken, only the second one applies?
>
> Well, the LK[24]01 was used by DECstations and VAXstations (as well as
> some VT terminals), you can use it with a simple adaptor on any
> machine that has a RS232 serial port. For example, I'm using such a
> keyboard on my Athlon-based PeeCee.

Does it need some kind of "serial keyboard configuration"? Wouldn't that
make more sense?

> > Also, configuring this one gives a non-functional keyboard (the machine is
> > running, I can log in over SSH, but keypresses have no effect at all).

> Did the serial port register serio ports?

How can I find this out?

by Horst H. von Brand

Ben Collins <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 05:09:31PM -0300, Horst von Brand wrote:
> > On my Sun I get the following offers:
> >
> > AT Keyboard
> > Sun types 4 and 5
> > DECstation LK201/LK401
> > XT keyboard
> > Newton keyboard
> >
> > Unless I am very mistaken, only the second one applies?

> I used to have an UltraSPARC clone that needed the AT Keyboard. So, no, it's
> not a mistake.

OK, sounds reasonable given the "PCs with SPARC CPU" that Sun made lately.

> > Also, configuring this one gives a non-functional keyboard (the machine is
> > running, I can log in over SSH, but keypresses have no effect at all).

> As far as your issue with the keyboard not working, did you enable
> everything, like USB?

No I did not.

> What sort of ultrasparc is it?

An Ultra 1 (yes, I know it is old and klunky, but I kind of like it...).
That is why I did not configure USB or PCI (they just aren't available).
Should that make a difference?

by Ben Collins

> An Ultra 1 (yes, I know it is old and klunky, but I kind of like it...).
> That is why I did not configure USB or PCI (they just aren't available).
> Should that make a difference?

Nah, just make sure you have all the right sbus stuff enabled. Been awhile
since I did a kernel for an sbus sparc64 that wasn't headless, so I'm not
much help right now :)

--
Ubuntu - http://www.ubuntu.com/
Debian - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/
SwissDisk - http://www.swissdisk.com/

2005-10-29 06:07:56

by Dmitry Torokhov

On Friday 28 October 2005 19:06, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-10-28 17:09:31 -0300, Horst von Brand <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > On my Sun I get the following offers:
> > >
> > > AT Keyboard
> > > Sun types 4 and 5
> > > DECstation LK201/LK401
> > > XT keyboard
> > > Newton keyboard
> > >
> > > Unless I am very mistaken, only the second one applies?
> >
> > Well, the LK[24]01 was used by DECstations and VAXstations (as well as
> > some VT terminals), you can use it with a simple adaptor on any
> > machine that has a RS232 serial port. For example, I'm using such a
> > keyboard on my Athlon-based PeeCee.
>
> Does it need some kind of "serial keyboard configuration"? Wouldn't that
> make more sense?
>
> > > Also, configuring this one gives a non-functional keyboard (the machine is
> > > running, I can log in over SSH, but keypresses have no effect at all).
>
> > Did the serial port register serio ports?
>
> How can I find this out?

Just post your dmesg.. Or ssh into it and poke around /sys/bus/serio...
Sun keyboard can be autodetected AFAIK so you don't need to fiddle with
inputattach. Do you have sunsu or sunzilog drivers selected?

--
Dmitry

2005-10-29 14:32:08

by Jan-Benedict Glaw

On Fri, 2005-10-28 21:06:06 -0300, Horst von Brand <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Well, the LK[24]01 was used by DECstations and VAXstations (as well as
> > some VT terminals), you can use it with a simple adaptor on any
> > machine that has a RS232 serial port. For example, I'm using such a
> > keyboard on my Athlon-based PeeCee.
>
> Does it need some kind of "serial keyboard configuration"? Wouldn't that
> make more sense?

Well, on the right hardware, the serio port gets a flag set by the
serial driver that it expects a keyboard on a given port.

On all other hardware, you need to call "inputattach" to do that for
you.

> > > Also, configuring this one gives a non-functional keyboard (the machine is
> > > running, I can log in over SSH, but keypresses have no effect at all).
>
> > Did the serial port register serio ports?
>
> How can I find this out?

/sys/devices/serio*

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw [email protected] . +49-172-7608481 _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg _ _ O
für einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet! | im Irak! O O O

(No filename) (1.25 kB)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Horst H. von Brand

Dmitry Torokhov <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Friday 28 October 2005 19:06, Horst von Brand wrote:
> > Jan-Benedict Glaw <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2005-10-28 17:09:31 -0300, Horst von Brand <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

> > > Did the serial port register serio ports?

> > How can I find this out?

> Just post your dmesg..

Nothing relevant I can see.

> Or ssh into it and poke around /sys/bus/serio...

Got /sys/sun/bus/serio/drivers/subkbd/ with several files inside

> Sun keyboard can be autodetected AFAIK so you don't need to fiddle with
> inputattach.

The setup works for the shipped Aurora kernel, but to compile that
configuration would take a few days...

> Do you have sunsu or sunzilog drivers selected?

SUNZILOG is module, and is not loaded right now. No serials in use.

by David Miller

From: Horst von Brand <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:26:33 -0300

> > Sun keyboard can be autodetected AFAIK so you don't need to fiddle with
> > inputattach.
>
> The setup works for the shipped Aurora kernel, but to compile that
> configuration would take a few days...

Do you try to load any keymaps at boot time?
Try to disable that.

2005-10-30 23:17:39

by Dmitry Torokhov

On Saturday 29 October 2005 22:26, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Dmitry Torokhov <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > How can I find this out?
>
> > Just post your dmesg..
>
> Nothing relevant I can see.
>
> > Or ssh into it and poke around /sys/bus/serio...
>
> Got /sys/sun/bus/serio/drivers/subkbd/ with several files inside

BUt nothing in /sys/bus/serio/devices, right? That means you don't have any
serial port drivers loaded so sunkbd does not have aport to attach to.

> > Sun keyboard can be autodetected AFAIK so you don't need to fiddle with
> > inputattach.
>
> The setup works for the shipped Aurora kernel, but to compile that
> configuration would take a few days...
>
> > Do you have sunsu or sunzilog drivers selected?
>
> SUNZILOG is module, and is not loaded right now. No serials in use.

Please try loading it (or compile it in).

--
Dmitry

2005-11-04 12:22:57

by Horst H. von Brand

David S. Miller <[email protected]> wrote:
> From: Horst von Brand <[email protected]>
> Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:26:33 -0300
>
> > > Sun keyboard can be autodetected AFAIK so you don't need to fiddle with
> > > inputattach.
> >
> > The setup works for the shipped Aurora kernel, but to compile that
> > configuration would take a few days...

> Do you try to load any keymaps at boot time?
> Try to disable that.

Finally found the culprit: SERIAL_SUNZILOG can't be module (or has to be
loaded early, dunno). The Aurora setup tries to load keymaps, and disabling
that made no difference.

Thanks all for the help!

by David Miller

From: Horst von Brand <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:21:46 -0300

> Finally found the culprit: SERIAL_SUNZILOG can't be module (or has to be
> loaded early, dunno).

If you want sunzilog to be modular, you have to make sure
the initrd loads it at the beginning of bootup if you want
to have a keyboard.

It's usually best to build it statically, which avoids all
of those complications.