2005-11-02 13:20:49

by Adam Huffman

Subject: Ext3 error with Megaraid on x86_64 with 8GB RAM

Three times now I've seen severe ext3 problems on two different Opteron
machines with 8G RAM. Two other machines with 4G are otherwise
identical but haven't exhibited the same filesystem problems.

The corruption occurs on a Megaraid RAID 1 array.

Here's the error message:

EXT3-fs error (device sdb2): ext3_new_block: Allocating block in system
zone - block = 55593720
Aborting journal on device sdb2.
EXT3-fs error (device sdb2) in ext3_prepare_write: Journal has aborted
ext3_abort called.
EXT3-fs error (device sdb2): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted
journal
Remounting filesystem read-only
__journal_remove_journal_head: freeing b_committed_data

The motherboard is a Tyan Thunder K8W.

The first time this happened fsck could not fix the errors and I had to
wipe the partition.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on tracking down this problem.

2005-11-02 13:45:12

by Adam Huffman

Subject: Re: Ext3 error with Megaraid on x86_64 with 8GB RAM

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005, [email protected] wrote:

> Three times now I've seen severe ext3 problems on two different Opteron
> machines with 8G RAM. Two other machines with 4G are otherwise
> identical but haven't exhibited the same filesystem problems.
>
> The corruption occurs on a Megaraid RAID 1 array.
>
> Here's the error message:
>
> EXT3-fs error (device sdb2): ext3_new_block: Allocating block in system
> zone - block = 55593720
> Aborting journal on device sdb2.
> EXT3-fs error (device sdb2) in ext3_prepare_write: Journal has aborted
> ext3_abort called.
> EXT3-fs error (device sdb2): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted
> journal
> Remounting filesystem read-only
> __journal_remove_journal_head: freeing b_committed_data
>
> The motherboard is a Tyan Thunder K8W.
>
> The first time this happened fsck could not fix the errors and I had to
> wipe the partition.

This is with a Fedora 4 kernel 2.6.13-1.1532_FC4smp

2005-11-02 18:04:16

by Evgeny Rodichev

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, [email protected] wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Nov 2005, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Three times now I've seen severe ext3 problems on two different Opteron
>> machines with 8G RAM. Two other machines with 4G are otherwise
>> identical but haven't exhibited the same filesystem problems.
>>
>> The corruption occurs on a Megaraid RAID 1 array.

The problem looks very similar to my problem with Opteron and 8G RAM.
Please send the output from lspci -v and dmesg

Evgeny Rodichev Sternberg Astronomical Institute
email: [email protected] Moscow State University
Phone: 007 (095) 939 2383
Fax: 007 (095) 932 8841 http://www.sai.msu.su/~er