2005-11-08 06:29:37

by li nux

Subject: Automatic download of kernel rpms

Hi,

Is there any image server from where I can download
the latest kernel rpms as and when available.
Also, how can I achieve the automatic download.

-lnx

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

2005-11-08 13:33:59

by Gene Heskett

Subject: Re: Automatic download of kernel rpms

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 01:29, li nux wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Is there any image server from where I can download
>the latest kernel rpms as and when available.
>Also, how can I achieve the automatic download.

Generally, no. The exact reason is that rpms are a vendor item, and no
fixed relation to the kernel.org tarballs.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

by Alan

On Maw, 2005-11-08 at 08:33 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Generally, no. The exact reason is that rpms are a vendor item, and no
> fixed relation to the kernel.org tarballs.

"make rpm" should build an RPM package from them but you will still need
to get the configuration correct before doing this.

2005-11-08 14:13:58

by linux-os (Dick Johnson)

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Maw, 2005-11-08 at 08:33 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Generally, no. The exact reason is that rpms are a vendor item, and no
>> fixed relation to the kernel.org tarballs.
>
> "make rpm" should build an RPM package from them but you will still need
> to get the configuration correct before doing this.

Alan can verify that Red Hat Fedora puts the ".config" file in
/boot as /boot/config-`uname -r`. This can be copied to the
new kernel tree as ".config" and `make oldconfig` should get
you a kernel configured very close to the one provided with
the distribution.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.13.4 on an i686 machine (5589.55 BogoMips).
Warning : 98.36% of all statistics are fiction.
.

The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to [email protected] - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

Thank you.

2005-11-09 13:35:00

by Ian Soboroff

"linux-os \(Dick Johnson\)" <[email protected]> writes:

> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Alan Cox wrote:
>
>> On Maw, 2005-11-08 at 08:33 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Generally, no. The exact reason is that rpms are a vendor item, and no
>>> fixed relation to the kernel.org tarballs.
>>
>> "make rpm" should build an RPM package from them but you will still need
>> to get the configuration correct before doing this.
>>

> Alan can verify that Red Hat Fedora puts the ".config" file in
> /boot as /boot/config-`uname -r`. This can be copied to the
> new kernel tree as ".config" and `make oldconfig` should get
> you a kernel configured very close to the one provided with
> the distribution.

Note that Fedora (and RHEL) kernels modularize nearly everything and
need an initrd to boot. The kernel's "make rpm" does not make the
initrd for you (or fix up your grub.conf, IIRC). So, the sequence is:

(unpack kernel)
cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config
make oldconfig
(answer questions about new stuff)