2005-11-23 20:34:53

by Doug Hunley

Subject: stupid question about netlink and 2.6.14 and latest udev

Latest udev says that it requires netlink support in the kernel, however I
can't find any concrete info on how to enable netlink in 2.6.14+ .. a grep of
NETLINK in .config doesn't find anything. I saw an option that made reference
to netlink, but it didn't actually state that it was enabling netlink. What's
the magic config option? Or how does one check if a running kernel has
netlink support functional?
thanks!
--
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net) - Linux User #174778

I'm not worried. If there's something bad out there we'll find, you'll slay,
we'll party!

Attachments:
(No filename) (583.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Nix

On 23 Nov 2005, Douglas J. Hunley said:
> Latest udev says that it requires netlink support in the kernel, however I
> can't find any concrete info on how to enable netlink in 2.6.14+ .. a grep of
> NETLINK in .config doesn't find anything. I saw an option that made reference
> to netlink, but it didn't actually state that it was enabling netlink. What's
> the magic config option? Or how does one check if a running kernel has
> netlink support functional?

If you have network support at all (i.e. CONFIG_NET=y), you have netlink
support. (This has been true for some time.)

--
`Y'know, London's nice at this time of year. If you like your cities
freezing cold and full of surly gits.' --- David Damerell