2005-12-21 09:24:57

by Sebastian Kloska

Subject: vfat question

Hello list,

Is there an "official" way of to move FAT entries
around in the vfat code of the kernel ? I'd like
to change ordering of vfat entries.

Thanks in advance

Sebastian

--
**********************************
Dr. Sebastian Kloska

2005-12-21 16:02:37

by Horst H. von Brand

Subject: Re: vfat question

Sebastian Kloska <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is there an "official" way of to move FAT entries
> around in the vfat code of the kernel ? I'd like
> to change ordering of vfat entries.

Why don't you do that off-line, in a userland program? Should be easier
(and safer).

by Sebastian Kloska

Thanks for the reply,

I have to admit I do not even have a clue how to get access to
the directory table of a mounted vfat device. The whole idea
is for manipulating the ordering of mp3-players which
(on some devices) seems to dictate the play order.
So if someone could point me to a good documentation
I would appreciate it.

Regards

Sebastian

--
**********************************
Dr. Sebastian Kloska

2005-12-21 16:44:00

by Tommy Reynolds

Uttered Sebastian Kloska <[email protected]>, spake thus:

Please do not set the reply-to: mail header when sending to a mailing
list. Thanks.

> I have to admit I do not even have a clue how to get access to
> the directory table of a mounted vfat device. The whole idea
> is for manipulating the ordering of mp3-players which
> (on some devices) seems to dictate the play order.
> So if someone could point me to a good documentation
> I would appreciate it.

Accessing a mounted VFAT for this is probably not a good idea.

However, a userland solution should be possible and much easier than
trying this from the kernel.

Look at the mtools package:

http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/mtools.html

where you should find tools that do such access already. Then, start
hacking the mdir(1) tool, or some such, to sort the VFAT orders
however you like them.

Cheers

Attachments:
(No filename) (876.00 B)