2006-01-03 05:29:01

by Rodney Gordon II

Subject: P-D x86_64: "trap invalid operand" kernel messages

I can reproduce consistantly a kernel trap message when using
the app "transcode".

They all look similar to this:
transcode[27576] trap invalid operand rip:2aaaae2c5990
rsp:7fffff8e7548 error:0

Is this kernel related, or a bug in the application?

Information:
Debian sid, amd64 port w/ marillat debs
2.6.14.5 compiled SMP x86_64 w/ EM64T specified
Pentium D (Dualcore) 3GHz - 1536MB RAM
Asus P5LD2 Mobo - BIOS Rev. 0815 (latest)

Attached is a /proc/cpuinfo output.

Any help is appreciated, please Cc me directly.

-r

--
Rodney Gordon II (meff) | meff <at> pobox <dot> com
GPG Key ID: 7FF4B2BC | AIM ID: mefforz

Attachments:
(No filename) (671.00 B)
cpuinfo (1.19 kB)

by Robert Hancock

Subject: Re: P-D x86_64: "trap invalid operand" kernel messages

Rodney Gordon II wrote:
> I can reproduce consistantly a kernel trap message when using
> the app "transcode".
>
> They all look similar to this:
> transcode[27576] trap invalid operand rip:2aaaae2c5990
> rsp:7fffff8e7548 error:0
>
> Is this kernel related, or a bug in the application?

The program seems to be executing an illegal instruction - likely either
an application bug or it is compiled for the wrong CPU and using
unsupported instructions.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]