2006-01-07 09:59:15

by Alexander E. Patrakov

Subject: sanitized kernel headers

Hello,

almost two years ago, a decision has been made that raw kernel headers
are for the kernel only, and that userspace should be built against some
"sanitized" kernels. Linux-Libc-Headers
(http://ep09.pld-linux.org/~mmazur/linux-libc-headers/) were one of the
implementations of such sanitized headers, and they worked well and were
used e.g. in Linux From Scratch.

But now, the Linux-Libc-Headers project looks dead: no commits in the
SVN for the last two months, and the only changes in SVN as compared to
LLH 2.6.12.0 are addition of inotify.h, removal of some kernel-only
headers and some minor fix for non-glibc systems.

What is the recommended (non-dead) alternative implementation of such
"sanitized" headers? Where is the roadmap for this area?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
Don't mail to [email protected]: the server is off until 2006-01-11

2006-01-08 10:31:10

by Andrew Walrond

Subject: Re: sanitized kernel headers

On Saturday 07 January 2006 09:59, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> What is the recommended (non-dead) alternative implementation of such
> "sanitized" headers? Where is the roadmap for this area?

I still don't buy the arguments of the kernel maintainers who shun
responsibility for this. My undoubtedly naive position is that

1) The kernel does a load of really clever low level stuff, and presents a
stable API that the rest of the world (userspace) can use

2) Every part of that API that userspace needs should be presented to
userspace in a consistent and reliably useable way

3) Any part of the kernel to which userspace absolutely needs access _must_ be
part of that consistently and reliably presented API.

This 'sanitized kernel headers' mess (the single biggest _PITA_ for all small
independent linux distro creators/maintainers) should either

1) be unnecessary
2) be included as part of the kernel sources and acknowledged as specifically
for use by userspace

Currently affected userspace packages include stuff like glibc, directfb,
netfilter, iproute2, alsa, iputils, pcmcia-cs, udev and wireless-tools.

Andrew Walrond
[thumbs nose, dons hardhat, dives into hastily prepared bunker]