2006-01-14 09:21:46

by tmhikaru

Subject: 'serial' cannot be built as module

I've already tried reporting this to the maintainer in the MAINTAINERS file,
but received no response (mail originally sent 15'th of november)

Essentially, the 'serial' module is not, apparently, being built when set as
modular. I definitely know it's not being installed when I do make
modules_install.

However, if I include it in the kernel, it works. The 'symbol' is SERIAL_8250
according to the help in menuconfig.

I'd really like to have this fixed, as I try to reduce the size of the
kernel that I boot, as I have to load the kernel off a floppy disk.

Timothy C. McGrath

2006-01-14 09:29:34

by Russell King

Subject: Re: 'serial' cannot be built as module

On Sat, Jan 14, 2006 at 04:21:42AM -0500, [email protected] wrote:
> I've already tried reporting this to the maintainer in the MAINTAINERS file,
> but received no response (mail originally sent 15'th of november)

My mail server has no record of this for the 15th - it never reached me.
Maybe you mis-copied the address?

> Essentially, the 'serial' module is not, apparently, being built when set as
> modular. I definitely know it's not being installed when I do make
> modules_install.
>
> However, if I include it in the kernel, it works. The 'symbol' is SERIAL_8250
> according to the help in menuconfig.
>
> I'd really like to have this fixed, as I try to reduce the size of the
> kernel that I boot, as I have to load the kernel off a floppy disk.

There's nothing which requires fixing.

If you read the help for that option, you will find that it's called
"8250" not "serial". It also depends on serial_core.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core