2006-01-26 14:04:44

by Karel Kulhavy

Subject: Documentation for /dev/tun

Hello

I have /dev/tun on my system and would like to read documentation about
it. Because I already know that /dev/ttyS0 has manual page under man
ttyS, I typed
man tun
No manual entry for tun
also info tun
No menu item `tun' in node `(dir)Top'.
I also tried "tun" and "/dev/tun" at Wikipedia and they have nothing.

CL<

2006-01-26 14:44:45

by Jiri Kosina

Subject: Re: Documentation for /dev/tun

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Karel Kulhavy wrote:

> I have /dev/tun on my system and would like to read documentation about
> it. Because I already know that /dev/ttyS0 has manual page under man
> ttyS, I typed man tun No manual entry for tun also info tun No menu item
> `tun' in node `(dir)Top'. I also tried "tun" and "/dev/tun" at Wikipedia
> and they have nothing.

Documentation/networking/tuntap.txt
drivers/net/tun.c is quite easy to read too.

--
JiKos.

2006-01-27 09:34:41

by Karel Kulhavy

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 03:44:41PM +0100, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
>
> > I have /dev/tun on my system and would like to read documentation about
> > it. Because I already know that /dev/ttyS0 has manual page under man
> > ttyS, I typed man tun No manual entry for tun also info tun No menu item
> > `tun' in node `(dir)Top'. I also tried "tun" and "/dev/tun" at Wikipedia
> > and they have nothing.
>
> Documentation/networking/tuntap.txt
> drivers/net/tun.c is quite easy to read too.

Why is man ttyS present and man tun missing? Is there any rule which says
which devices should have manpage and which not?

CL<

> --
> JiKos.

2006-01-27 14:15:16

by Erik Mouw

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 10:17:58AM +0100, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> Why is man ttyS present and man tun missing? Is there any rule which says
> which devices should have manpage and which not?

Because the manpages are not maintained by the linux-kernel folks, but
by the manpages editor. Feel free to send a patch to the manpages
maintainer.

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- http://www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --