2006-01-30 07:03:58

by Heerath bh

Subject: Rebuilding Linux kernel

Hi!
I am Heerath BH,studying final year engineering in electronics and
communication. Now I am associated with the project. I am doing the
linux based project. Here i need your Help. I hope you wil do the
needful.

Basically I am trying to rebuild the kernel.I am trying to make two
types of kernel.I am using Redhat 2.4 version on intel x86 machine.
1.Deployment level kernel
2.development level kernel.

Deployment Level kernel:This kernel has to be a Very vanilla kernel. I
mean to say, it wil be having basic kernel services like:preemptive
kernel,memory

management,scheduling&synchronization,sysatem
timers,IPC,Interrupt handling,multitasking.

Here I am facing the problems. Please guide me in this section, if I
want to start from the begining to make the vanilla kernel how wil I
get started with that?

second kernel is pc development kernel,that is adding the config files
to the rebuilded core kernel.

I am trying to make core kernel size as 300kB by including services
which I have mentioned above.Please guide me and Please do the
needful.

Looking forward for you reply.

Regards
Heerath.BH

2006-01-30 07:22:34

by Lee Revell

Subject: Re: Rebuilding Linux kernel

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 12:33 +0530, Heerath bh wrote:

> Basically I am trying to rebuild the kernel.I am trying to make two
> types of kernel.I am using Redhat 2.4 version on intel x86 machine.
> 1.Deployment level kernel
> 2.development level kernel.
>
> Deployment Level kernel:This kernel has to be a Very vanilla kernel. I
> mean to say, it wil be having basic kernel services like:preemptive
> kernel,memory
>
> management,scheduling&synchronization,sysatem
> timers,IPC,Interrupt handling,multitasking.

You will need 2.6 for this, 2.4 is inadeuate (no preemption). 2.6.14 or
2.6.15 is a good choice.

Lee

2006-01-30 07:23:07

by Denis Vlasenko

[CC list mercilessly trimmed]

On Monday 30 January 2006 09:03, Heerath bh wrote:
> Hi!
> I am Heerath BH,studying final year engineering in electronics and
> communication. Now I am associated with the project. I am doing the
> linux based project. Here i need your Help. I hope you wil do the
> needful.
>
> Basically I am trying to rebuild the kernel.I am trying to make two
> types of kernel.I am using Redhat 2.4 version on intel x86 machine.
> 1.Deployment level kernel
> 2.development level kernel.
>
> Deployment Level kernel:This kernel has to be a Very vanilla kernel. I
> mean to say, it wil be having basic kernel services like:preemptive
> kernel,memory
>
> management,scheduling&synchronization,sysatem
> timers,IPC,Interrupt handling,multitasking.
>
> Here I am facing the problems. Please guide me in this section, if I
> want to start from the begining to make the vanilla kernel how wil I
> get started with that?
>
> second kernel is pc development kernel,that is adding the config files
> to the rebuilded core kernel.
>
> I am trying to make core kernel size as 300kB by including services
> which I have mentioned above.

vda

2006-01-30 07:26:55

by Moses Marimo

Try this first! http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

I think it can be handful if you are starting on that staff!

Regards,

Moses

Heerath bh wrote:
> Hi!
> I am Heerath BH,studying final year engineering in electronics and
> communication. Now I am associated with the project. I am doing the
> linux based project. Here i need your Help. I hope you wil do the
> needful.
>
> Basically I am trying to rebuild the kernel.I am trying to make two
> types of kernel.I am using Redhat 2.4 version on intel x86 machine.
> 1.Deployment level kernel
> 2.development level kernel.
>
> Deployment Level kernel:This kernel has to be a Very vanilla kernel. I
> mean to say, it wil be having basic kernel services like:preemptive
> kernel,memory
>
> management,scheduling&synchronization,sysatem
> timers,IPC,Interrupt handling,multitasking.
>
> Here I am facing the problems. Please guide me in this section, if I
> want to start from the begining to make the vanilla kernel how wil I
> get started with that?
>
> second kernel is pc development kernel,that is adding the config files
> to the rebuilded core kernel.
>
> I am trying to make core kernel size as 300kB by including services
> which I have mentioned above.Please guide me and Please do the
> needful.
>

> Looking forward for you reply.
>
> Regards
> Heerath.BH
> -

by David Miller

From: Denis Vlasenko <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:22:00 +0200

Also see slide 4 of:

http://vger.kernel.org/~davem/KDSI_LCA2006.odp

Folks, this mailing list isn't a place where you can get people to
perform your homework for you.

2006-01-30 18:13:32

by Nix

On 30 Jan 2006, Lee Revell said:
> On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 12:33 +0530, Heerath bh wrote:
>>
>> Basically I am trying to rebuild the kernel.I am trying to make two
>> types of kernel.I am using Redhat 2.4 version on intel x86 machine.
>> 1.Deployment level kernel
>> 2.development level kernel.
>>
>> Deployment Level kernel:This kernel has to be a Very vanilla kernel. I
>> mean to say, it wil be having basic kernel services like:preemptive
>> kernel,memory
>>
>> management,scheduling&synchronization,sysatem
>> timers,IPC,Interrupt handling,multitasking.
>>

> You will need 2.6 for this, 2.4 is inadeuate (no preemption). 2.6.14 or
> 2.6.15 is a good choice.

He wants it to fit in 300K (of RAM? final image size? he didn't say).

No way will normal Linux kernels get that trim, nor any Linux-like
kernel supporting all the features he wants.

--
`I won't make a secret of the fact that your statement/question
sent a wave of shock and horror through us.' --- David Anderson

2006-01-30 18:49:19

by Greg KH

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 11:29:31PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
> From: Denis Vlasenko <[email protected]>
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:22:00 +0200

> Also see slide 4 of:
>
> http://vger.kernel.org/~davem/KDSI_LCA2006.odp
>
> Folks, this mailing list isn't a place where you can get people to
> perform your homework for you.

It's not even homework, this person has tried to get developers
individually to do his paid job work for him in the past, with this very
same question...