2006-02-11 09:35:34

by iSteve

Subject: Packet writing issue on 2.6.15.1

Greetings,
I've wanted to try out packet writing on my Plextor CD-RW (PLEXTOR CD-R
PREMIUM, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive). Setting up device via "pktcdvd 0 /dev/hdc"
went without any problem and I had the device created.

I then mounted UDF on the device, /proc/mounts reported it as rw. However, when
attempting to write and then sync, the sync fails and I get sinister output in
dmesg (below). I wonder what causes this issue and if I may resolve it somehow.

Thanks in advance for reply.
--
-- iSteve

System details:

Motherboard: MSI KT4 Ultra
IDE controller used onboard:
0000:00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06) (prog-if 8a
[Master SecP PriP])
Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT8233/A/C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Master IDE
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

Layout of devices on IDE controller: primary-master: hard disk, primary-slave:
hard disk, secondary-master: this plextor cd-rw, secondary-slave: teac cd-rom.

Kernel: 2.6.15.1 + swsup2, vesafb-tng (as module, not loaded), squashfs.

Dmesg output since the first moment pktcdvd is involved:

pktcdvd: inserted media is CD-RW
pktcdvd: detected zero packet size!
pktcdvd: Variable packets, 32 blocks, Mode-1 disc
pktcdvd: Max. media speed: 10
pktcdvd: write speed 10x
pktcdvd: 26562kB available on disc
UDF-fs INFO UDF 0.9.8.1 (2004/29/09) Mounting volume 'LinuxUDF', timestamp
2006/02/04 19:03 (1000)
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 13184
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 13192
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 13200
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 13208
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 13216
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 13224
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 13232
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 13240
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 13248
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 13256
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 13264
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 13272
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 13280
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 13288
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 13296
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 13304
Buffer I/O error on device pktcdvd0, logical block 3299
lost page write due to I/O error on pktcdvd0
Buffer I/O error on device pktcdvd0, logical block 3300
lost page write due to I/O error on pktcdvd0
Buffer I/O error on device pktcdvd0, logical block 3303
lost page write due to I/O error on pktcdvd0
Buffer I/O error on device pktcdvd0, logical block 3305
lost page write due to I/O error on pktcdvd0
Buffer I/O error on device pktcdvd0, logical block 3306
lost page write due to I/O error on pktcdvd0

2006-02-11 11:30:17

by Peter Osterlund

Subject: Re: Packet writing issue on 2.6.15.1

iSteve <[email protected]> writes:

> Greetings,
> I've wanted to try out packet writing on my Plextor CD-RW (PLEXTOR CD-R
> PREMIUM, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive). Setting up device via "pktcdvd 0 /dev/hdc"
> went without any problem and I had the device created.
>
> I then mounted UDF on the device, /proc/mounts reported it as rw. However, when
> attempting to write and then sync, the sync fails and I get sinister output in
> dmesg (below). I wonder what causes this issue and if I may resolve it somehow.

> Kernel: 2.6.15.1 + swsup2, vesafb-tng (as module, not loaded), squashfs.

> Dmesg output since the first moment pktcdvd is involved:
>
> pktcdvd: inserted media is CD-RW
> pktcdvd: detected zero packet size!
> pktcdvd: Variable packets, 32 blocks, Mode-1 disc

Unfortunately the driver doesn't support variable packet sizes. You
have to format the disc with a fixed packet size.

Incidentally, the latest git tree (2.6.16-rc2-git10) already contains
a change which would have made the mount command fail in this case.

--
Peter Osterlund - [email protected]
http://web.telia.com/~u89404340

2006-02-11 11:48:20

by iSteve

On 11 Feb 2006 12:30:03 +0100
Peter Osterlund <[email protected]> wrote:
> Unfortunately the driver doesn't support variable packet sizes. You
> have to format the disc with a fixed packet size.
>
> Incidentally, the latest git tree (2.6.16-rc2-git10) already contains
> a change which would have made the mount command fail in this case.

I apologize for lack of insight in this matter, but... Where is the packet
fixed/variable size set? In the UDF filesystem? Or somewhere in metadata of the
CD? Can I alter it with some data already on the CD, without losing the data?

If the driver cannot handle variable packet size, and it is not matter of
filesystem but matter of CDRW (which I presume), shouldn't the whole pktsetup
fail?

Thanks in advance
--
-- iSteve

2006-02-11 15:59:19

by Peter Osterlund

iSteve <[email protected]> writes:

> On 11 Feb 2006 12:30:03 +0100
> Peter Osterlund <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Unfortunately the driver doesn't support variable packet sizes. You
> > have to format the disc with a fixed packet size.
> >
> > Incidentally, the latest git tree (2.6.16-rc2-git10) already contains
> > a change which would have made the mount command fail in this case.
> >
> I apologize for lack of insight in this matter, but... Where is the packet
> fixed/variable size set? In the UDF filesystem? Or somewhere in metadata of the
> CD?

It's CD metadata.

> Can I alter it with some data already on the CD, without losing the data?

Not as far as I know. I think you have to copy the data to the
harddisk, format the disc with cdrwtool and then copy the data back to
the disc.

> If the driver cannot handle variable packet size, and it is not matter of
> filesystem but matter of CDRW (which I presume), shouldn't the whole pktsetup
> fail?

pktsetup can be run before there is a disc in the drive. Therefore,
these kinds of checks are done when you attempt to open the device for
writing.

--
Peter Osterlund - [email protected]
http://web.telia.com/~u89404340

2006-02-11 16:08:14

by iSteve

On 11 Feb 2006 16:59:09 +0100
Peter Osterlund <[email protected]> wrote:
> > If the driver cannot handle variable packet size, and it is not matter of
> > filesystem but matter of CDRW (which I presume), shouldn't the whole
> > pktsetup fail?
>
> pktsetup can be run before there is a disc in the drive. Therefore,
> these kinds of checks are done when you attempt to open the device for
> writing.

Any plans or time estimation to support variable packet size?

BTW, can I currently work with packet writing if I only have a CDR? I know it
technically is possible, I've seen it done (not on Linux though), but I wonder
if it is possible with current codebase.
--
-- iSteve

2006-02-11 20:09:43

by Phillip Susi

iSteve wrote:

> Any plans or time estimation to support variable packet size?
>
> BTW, can I currently work with packet writing if I only have a CDR? I know it
> technically is possible, I've seen it done (not on Linux though), but I wonder
> if it is possible with current codebase.

I've been working on this area lately and thought about implementing
such support, but I am still not even sure it can really be done, short
of hacking the udf filesystem to hell so it understands and issues
commands to burn the variable length packets.

How did you format the existing disc? What does cdrwtool -i show? My
guess is that you formatted this disc in windows or something and this
disc isn't using packet mode at all, but rather has been formatted for
mount rainier mode, in which case, you don't need pktcdvd at all to
write to it.

2006-02-11 20:14:40

by iSteve

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 15:09:16 -0500
Phillip Susi <[email protected]> wrote:

> iSteve wrote:
> >
> > Any plans or time estimation to support variable packet size?
> >
> > BTW, can I currently work with packet writing if I only have a CDR? I know
> > it technically is possible, I've seen it done (not on Linux though), but I
> > wonder if it is possible with current codebase.
>
> I've been working on this area lately and thought about implementing
> such support, but I am still not even sure it can really be done, short
> of hacking the udf filesystem to hell so it understands and issues
> commands to burn the variable length packets.
>
> How did you format the existing disc? What does cdrwtool -i show? My
> guess is that you formatted this disc in windows or something and this
> disc isn't using packet mode at all, but rather has been formatted for
> mount rainier mode, in which case, you don't need pktcdvd at all to
> write to it.

I used cdrecord (via xcdroast) to blank the CDRW and then burn UDF image created
by mkudffs.

Can I get this mount rainer udf extension work using just this method, and then
mount it?

Are there any specific mkudffs option that can help me? Or am I absolutely
obliged to use cdrwtool if I want to even think about using packet writing or
any other method to mount a CDRW?
--
-- iSteve

2006-02-12 01:11:14

by Phillip Susi

iSteve wrote:
> I used cdrecord (via xcdroast) to blank the CDRW and then burn UDF image created
> by mkudffs.
>
> Can I get this mount rainer udf extension work using just this method, and then
> mount it?
>
> Are there any specific mkudffs option that can help me? Or am I absolutely
> obliged to use cdrwtool if I want to even think about using packet writing or
> any other method to mount a CDRW?

cdrecord is just burning the image in dao/tao/sao mode. To use pktcdvd
to read/write the disc on the fly it must be formatted for packet mode
using cdrwtool. If the disc is formatted in MRW mode, then you don't
even need pktcdvd to read/write it, that is supported by the firmware in
the drive. Right now I believe you can use the dvd-rwtools package to
format media in MRW mode, and I plan on adding it as an option to
cdrwtool at some point. See http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
for more info.

The difference between packet mode and MRW mode is that MRW reserves
some of the disc for bad sector sparing, and the drive firmware handles
the reblocking rather than pktcdvd ( it also handles the sector
remapping ). Packet mode was around first and has wider support and
requires less from the drive's firmware, but these days, it seems that
the vast majority of drives support MRW.

I still have not figured out if MRW uses zero loss linking. If it does,
then that would probably make up for the space it reserves for sector
sparing. If it does not, then packet mode with > 32 sector packets will
be more space efficient. I have been planning on experimenting to see
if it is possible to format the disc in packet mode with zero loss
linking on some newer drives. I believe that may be possible in which
case, that will eliminate the space overhead associated with packet mode
entirely.

2006-02-12 04:51:37

by Ville Syrjälä

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 20:10:56 -0500, Phillip Susi wrote:

> The difference between packet mode and MRW mode is that MRW reserves
> some of the disc for bad sector sparing, and the drive firmware handles
> the reblocking rather than pktcdvd ( it also handles the sector
> remapping ). Packet mode was around first and has wider support and
> requires less from the drive's firmware, but these days, it seems that
> the vast majority of drives support MRW.

I don't think many DVD burners support MRW. At least that's the impression
I got from reading a lot of drive reviews. It's a strange thing because
most combo drives seem to support it. AFAIK the DVD+MRW standard is quite
new so that would explain part of it but I'm still wondering why the
drives wouldn't support CD-MRW.

--
Ville Syrj?l?
[email protected]

2006-02-12 08:07:34

by Paul

Phillip Susi <[email protected]>, on Sat Feb 11, 2006 [08:10:56 PM] said:
> cdrecord is just burning the image in dao/tao/sao mode. To use pktcdvd
> to read/write the disc on the fly it must be formatted for packet mode
> using cdrwtool. If the disc is formatted in MRW mode, then you don't
> even need pktcdvd to read/write it, that is supported by the firmware in
> the drive. Right now I believe you can use the dvd-rwtools package to
> format media in MRW mode, and I plan on adding it as an option to
> cdrwtool at some point. See http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
> for more info.

Hi;

This is not technically true; once the pktcdvd mapping is made,
the device can be accessed like a r/w block device. For example, after
I associate the dvd with the pktcdvd device, I then can associate it
with a cryptographic loop device, and mke2fs on that, then mount it
and use it like any other filesystem. Something like:

pktsetup dvd /dev/dvd
losetup -e serpent-256 /dev/loop0 /dev/pktcdvd/dvd
mke2fs -m0 /dev/loop0
mount -o noatime,rw /dev/loop0 /mntpoint

I realize you are differentiating between burning an iso
type image from what cdrwtool does, but I thought I would mention
my usage;) Obviously this would not be compatible with anything
else, which is intentional.
What is the difference between using cdrwtool on the cd/vd-rw
to form an initial image, and just doing a mkudffs on a pktcdvd
associated device?

Paul

by iSteve

The thing is, I'd like to be able to set up a CDRW for packet writing and burn
some data there (not necessarily UDF filesystem, it should be able to, for
example, undergo encryption; and it may not be UDF filesystem at all) without
actually having to use UDF and packet writing on the burning side...

That is: Set up CDRW for packet writing. Burn something non-UDF there. Move it
elsewhere. Use packet writing to access it r/w. Can I do that?:) I've been
playing with cdrecord's -packet and pktsize options atm, the only thing I got
was a CDRW that apparently blocks all reading.
--
-- iSteve

2006-02-12 10:32:47

by Jan Engelhardt

>The thing is, I'd like to be able to set up a CDRW for packet writing and burn
>some data there (not necessarily UDF filesystem, it should be able to, for
>example, undergo encryption; and it may not be UDF filesystem at all) without
>actually having to use UDF and packet writing on the burning side...
>
>That is: Set up CDRW for packet writing. Burn something non-UDF there. Move it
>elsewhere. Use packet writing to access it r/w. Can I do that?:) I've been
>playing with cdrecord's -packet and pktsize options atm, the only thing I got
>was a CDRW that apparently blocks all reading.

Like...?

cdrwtool -d /dev/hdb -q
pktsetup 0 /dev/hdb

"Burning something non-udf there":
mkfs.xfs /dev/pktcdvd/0
mkisofs -o /dev/pktcdvd/0 somefiles
tar -cf /dev/pktcdvd/0 somemorefiles

Anything.

Jan Engelhardt

by iSteve

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:32:31 +0100 (MET)
Jan Engelhardt <[email protected]> wrote:
> Like...?
>
> cdrwtool -d /dev/hdb -q
> pktsetup 0 /dev/hdb
>
> "Burning something non-udf there":
> mkfs.xfs /dev/pktcdvd/0
> mkisofs -o /dev/pktcdvd/0 somefiles
> tar -cf /dev/pktcdvd/0 somemorefiles
>
> Anything.

"without actually having to use UDF and packet writing on the burning
side" ... sorry, should've been 'or'. I am trying to find a way that wouldn't
require having packet writing support in kernel (or as module, of course) with
the initial burning.
--
-- iSteve

2006-02-13 00:32:23

by Phillip Susi

Paul wrote:

> This is not technically true; once the pktcdvd mapping is made,
> the device can be accessed like a r/w block device. For example, after
> I associate the dvd with the pktcdvd device, I then can associate it
> with a cryptographic loop device, and mke2fs on that, then mount it
> and use it like any other filesystem. Something like:

You must first format the cd-rw in packet mode with cdrwtool before
pktcdvd can write to it.

> pktsetup dvd /dev/dvd
> losetup -e serpent-256 /dev/loop0 /dev/pktcdvd/dvd
> mke2fs -m0 /dev/loop0
> mount -o noatime,rw /dev/loop0 /mntpoint
>
> I realize you are differentiating between burning an iso
> type image from what cdrwtool does, but I thought I would mention
> my usage;) Obviously this would not be compatible with anything
> else, which is intentional.
> What is the difference between using cdrwtool on the cd/vd-rw
> to form an initial image, and just doing a mkudffs on a pktcdvd
> associated device?

You can't mkudffs on pktcdvd unless the media has been formatted for
packet mode, or in MRW mode, at least until the recent patches were
applied. If the media is formatted for MRW mode, then pktcdvd isn't
required to write to it, but it used to work. With the new patches
applied it will refuse to access MRW discs.

2006-02-13 00:35:15

by Phillip Susi

iSteve wrote:

> "without actually having to use UDF and packet writing on the burning
> side" ... sorry, should've been 'or'. I am trying to find a way that wouldn't
> require having packet writing support in kernel (or as module, of course) with
> the initial burning.

So you want to write data to the disc without using pktcdvd? cdrwtool
-f allows you to write an image file to the disc, though I don't see why
you don't want to use pktcdvd. If you want to be able to read/write the
disc on the fly, you must either use pktcdvd or format the disc in MRW
mode.

2006-02-13 04:40:34

by Paul

Phillip Susi <[email protected]>, on Sun Feb 12, 2006 [07:32:15 PM] said:
> Paul wrote:
> >
> > This is not technically true; once the pktcdvd mapping is made,
> >the device can be accessed like a r/w block device. For example, after
> >I associate the dvd with the pktcdvd device, I then can associate it
> >with a cryptographic loop device, and mke2fs on that, then mount it
> >and use it like any other filesystem. Something like:
>
> You must first format the cd-rw in packet mode with cdrwtool before
> pktcdvd can write to it.

Hi;

Ah, I havent used a cd-rw in quite some time; I recall now
that I had to do an initial format on the dvd-rw with dvd+rw-format,
but had never used cdrwtool in the process. Thanks for the correction.

Paul

by iSteve

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:34:53 -0500
Phillip Susi <[email protected]> wrote:
> So you want to write data to the disc without using pktcdvd? cdrwtool
> -f allows you to write an image file to the disc, though I don't see why
> you don't want to use pktcdvd. If you want to be able to read/write the
> disc on the fly, you must either use pktcdvd or format the disc in MRW
> mode.

I tried that. Mostly, writing failed. At cdrwtool's end, it looked like this:
using device /dev/cdrw
fixed packets
setting speed to 10
write file /root/udftest.img
4690KB internal buffer
setting write speed to 10x
writing at lba = 0, blocks = 32
wait_cmd: Input/output error
Command failed: 2a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 00 - sense 05.24.00

At kernel's end:
cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!

Once I, somehow, managed to write it. However, writing ISO9660 (yes, I know
that iso9660 doesn't support read/write; I use it for test though and I need
it working), attempt to read it returned this:

attempt to access beyond end of device
hdc: rw=0, want=68, limit=4
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16
--
-- iSteve

2006-02-13 15:47:07

by Phillip Susi

Paul wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Ah, I havent used a cd-rw in quite some time; I recall now
> that I had to do an initial format on the dvd-rw with dvd+rw-format,
> but had never used cdrwtool in the process. Thanks for the correction.

dvd+rw-format formats discs in MRW mode, so you don't need pktcdvd to
access them. MRW mode is less compatible than packet mode, and may
yield less usable space due to the sector sparing.

2006-02-13 15:49:52

by Phillip Susi

iSteve wrote:
> I tried that. Mostly, writing failed. At cdrwtool's end, it looked like this:
> using device /dev/cdrw
> fixed packets
> setting speed to 10
> write file /root/udftest.img
> 4690KB internal buffer
> setting write speed to 10x
> writing at lba = 0, blocks = 32
> wait_cmd: Input/output error
> Command failed: 2a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 00 - sense 05.24.00
>
> At kernel's end:
> cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
>
> Once I, somehow, managed to write it. However, writing ISO9660 (yes, I know
> that iso9660 doesn't support read/write; I use it for test though and I need
> it working), attempt to read it returned this:
>
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> hdc: rw=0, want=68, limit=4
> isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hdc, iso_blknum=16, block=16

The media must be formatted first before you can write to it. It looks
like you just tried to write to an unformatted disc. Use cdrwtool -q
first to format it, then cdrwtool -f foo.img to write out your image.

2006-02-13 17:51:16

by iSteve

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:48:49 -0500
Phillip Susi <[email protected]> wrote:
> The media must be formatted first before you can write to it. It looks
> like you just tried to write to an unformatted disc. Use cdrwtool -q
> first to format it, then cdrwtool -f foo.img to write out your image.

Tried. Tried also with setting -t 10 (the medium is 10x), without -p 1 (still
trying fixed packet size, same size). Out of four attempts, all failed.
----[snipet]----
# cdrwtool -d /dev/cdrw -q -p 1
using device /dev/cdrw
fixed packets
4690KB internal buffer
setting write speed to 12x
Settings for /dev/cdrw:
Fixed packets, size 32
Mode-2 disc

I'm going to do a quick setup of /dev/cdrw. The disc is going to be blanked and
formatted with one big track. All data on the device will be lost!! Press
CTRL-C to cancel now. ENTER to continue.

Initiating quick disc blank
Disc capacity is 295264 blocks (590528KB/576MB)
Formatting track
wait_cmd: Input/output error
Command failed: 04 17 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - sense 05.64.00
format disc: Illegal seek
---[/snipet]----

DMESG:
cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!

Please note that although I've been testing packet writing on 2.6.15.1, I'm
performing the initial burning on 2.6.12.1(+ squashfs), I apologize for not
mentioning this.

The udftools are from Debian, in version 1.0.0b3-11.
--
-- iSteve

2006-02-13 19:46:49

by Phillip Susi

Hrm... the format appears to be failing with a seek error. My guess as
to the cause of this is either bad media or a bad drive. Are you sure
this drive can handle 80 min / 700 MB disks?

I'm not sure this switch does what I think it does because I don't have
the source code in front of me, but after blanking try:

cdrwtool -m 259808

If that did what I think it does, it should attempt to format the disc,
but not all of it. If the drive just doesn't like the outer edges, that
might work.

iSteve wrote:
> Tried. Tried also with setting -t 10 (the medium is 10x), without -p 1 (still
> trying fixed packet size, same size). Out of four attempts, all failed.
> ----[snipet]----
> # cdrwtool -d /dev/cdrw -q -p 1
> using device /dev/cdrw
> fixed packets
> 4690KB internal buffer
> setting write speed to 12x
> Settings for /dev/cdrw:
> Fixed packets, size 32
> Mode-2 disc
>
> I'm going to do a quick setup of /dev/cdrw. The disc is going to be blanked and
> formatted with one big track. All data on the device will be lost!! Press
> CTRL-C to cancel now. ENTER to continue.
>
> Initiating quick disc blank
> Disc capacity is 295264 blocks (590528KB/576MB)
> Formatting track
> wait_cmd: Input/output error
> Command failed: 04 17 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - sense 05.64.00
> format disc: Illegal seek
> ---[/snipet]----
>
> DMESG:
> cdrom: This disc doesn't have any tracks I recognize!
>
> Please note that although I've been testing packet writing on 2.6.15.1, I'm
> performing the initial burning on 2.6.12.1(+ squashfs), I apologize for not
> mentioning this.
>
> The udftools are from Debian, in version 1.0.0b3-11.

2006-02-13 19:55:51

by iSteve

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:45:48 -0500
Phillip Susi <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hrm... the format appears to be failing with a seek error. My guess as
> to the cause of this is either bad media or a bad drive. Are you sure
> this drive can handle 80 min / 700 MB disks?

Yes, I'm very positive about it. This is Plextor Premium; it certainly can
handle 700, 800 and even larger (99m/1.2GiB) CDs, I'm burning my backups on it
on regular basis, too. I'll try to grab a few more CD-RWs tomorrow.

> I'm not sure this switch does what I think it does because I don't have
> the source code in front of me, but after blanking try:
>
> cdrwtool -m 259808
>
> If that did what I think it does, it should attempt to format the disc,
> but not all of it. If the drive just doesn't like the outer edges, that
> might work.

Nope:

# cdrwtool -d /dev/cdrw -m 259808
using device /dev/cdrw