2006-02-17 23:58:33

by Richard Mittendorfer

Subject: [swsusp] not enough memory

Hi *,

On my 64MB notebook I get the following message, when going swsusp:

..
swsusp: Need to copy 15526 pages
swsusp: Not enough free memory
Error -12 suspending
..

# free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 62760 59884 2876 0 3828 16052
-/+ buffers/cache: 40004 22756
Swap: 200804 30316 170488

If I end all apps but the XServer it works. I've allready added some
more swapspace, but that didn't help. So, how much memory will I need
for a successful suspend or better (since i can't stuff any more into
it) is there a way to minimize the amount needed?

sl ritch

2006-02-18 00:11:08

by Nigel Cunningham

Subject: Re: [swsusp] not enough memory

Hi Richard.

On Saturday 18 February 2006 09:58, Richard Mittendorfer wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> On my 64MB notebook I get the following message, when going swsusp:
>
> ..
> swsusp: Need to copy 15526 pages
> swsusp: Not enough free memory
> Error -12 suspending
> ..
>
> # free
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 62760 59884 2876 0 3828 16052
> -/+ buffers/cache: 40004 22756
> Swap: 200804 30316 170488
>
> If I end all apps but the XServer it works. I've allready added some
> more swapspace, but that didn't help. So, how much memory will I need
> for a successful suspend or better (since i can't stuff any more into
> it) is there a way to minimize the amount needed?

swsusp needs to be able to free half your memory to be able to suspend. I
don't know it intimately, but you may well be failing to do this. Being
completely biased (and not unwilling to admit it!), I'd suggest you try
Suspend2 (http://www.suspend2.net). It doesn't have such a limitation.

Regards,

Nigel

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.03 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Richard Mittendorfer

Also sprach Nigel Cunningham <[email protected]> (Sat, 18 Feb
2006 10:07:58 +1000):
> Hi Richard.

Hello Nigel,

> On Saturday 18 February 2006 09:58, Richard Mittendorfer wrote:
> > swsusp: Need to copy 15526 pages
> > swsusp: Not enough free memory
> > Error -12 suspending
> > [...]
> swsusp needs to be able to free half your memory to be able to
> suspend. I don't know it intimately, but you may well be failing to
> do this. Being completely biased (and not unwilling to admit it!),
> I'd suggest you try Suspend2 (http://www.suspend2.net). It doesn't have such
> a limitation.

Thanks for this hint. However, I'm using ck's patches and having errors
compiling sched.c. Just took a quick look: I don't think I can get them
working together. The rest of the suspend2 patch (for 2.6.15.1) seems
to apply fine to 2.6.15.4 also (Not much changes IIRC).

> Regards,
>
> Nigel

sl ritch

2006-02-18 00:44:17

by Nigel Cunningham

Hi.

On Saturday 18 February 2006 10:40, Richard Mittendorfer wrote:
> Also sprach Nigel Cunningham <[email protected]> (Sat, 18 Feb
>
> 2006 10:07:58 +1000):
> > Hi Richard.
>
> Hello Nigel,
>
> > On Saturday 18 February 2006 09:58, Richard Mittendorfer wrote:
> > > swsusp: Need to copy 15526 pages
> > > swsusp: Not enough free memory
> > > Error -12 suspending
> > > [...]
> >
> > swsusp needs to be able to free half your memory to be able to
> > suspend. I don't know it intimately, but you may well be failing to
> > do this. Being completely biased (and not unwilling to admit it!),
> > I'd suggest you try Suspend2 (http://www.suspend2.net). It doesn't have such
> > a limitation.
>
> Thanks for this hint. However, I'm using ck's patches and having errors
> compiling sched.c. Just took a quick look: I don't think I can get them
> working together. The rest of the suspend2 patch (for 2.6.15.1) seems
> to apply fine to 2.6.15.4 also (Not much changes IIRC).

http://iphitus.loudas.com/archck.php contains both Con's patches and Suspend2.

Regards,

Nigel

> > Regards,
> >
> > Nigel
>
> sl ritch

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.09 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Nigel Cunningham

Hi.

On Saturday 18 February 2006 10:57, Richard Mittendorfer wrote:
> > On Saturday 18 February 2006 10:40, Richard Mittendorfer wrote:
> > > Also sprach Nigel Cunningham <[email protected]> (Sat, 18 Feb
> > >
> > > 2006 10:07:58 +1000):

> > > Thanks for this hint. However, I'm using ck's patches and having
> > > errors compiling sched.c. Just took a quick look: I don't think I
> > > can get them working together. The rest of the suspend2 patch (for
> > > 2.6.15.1) seems to apply fine to 2.6.15.4 also (Not much changes
> > > IIRC).
> >
> > http://iphitus.loudas.com/archck.php contains both Con's patches and
> > Suspend2.
>
> Ha! If everthing would work out that smoothly. :-)
>
> > Regards,
> >
> > Nigel
>
> big THX, ritch

You're welcome ;) If you have any further problems, feel free to email again.
Better still, try the Suspend2 site and mailing lists - we've got some really
good docs and really helpful users. There's also an irc channel on Freenode.

Regards,

Nigel

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.50 kB)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Richard Mittendorfer

Also sprach Nigel Cunningham <[email protected]> (Sat, 18 Feb
2006 10:41:07 +1000):
> Hi.

Hi,

> On Saturday 18 February 2006 10:40, Richard Mittendorfer wrote:
> > Also sprach Nigel Cunningham <[email protected]> (Sat, 18 Feb
> > 2006 10:07:58 +1000):
> > >
> > > swsusp needs to be able to free half your memory to be able to
> > > suspend. I don't know it intimately, but you may well be failing
> > > to do this. Being completely biased (and not unwilling to admit
> > > it!), I'd suggest you try Suspend2 (http://www.suspend2.net). It doesn't
> > > have such a limitation.
> >
> > Thanks for this hint. However, I'm using ck's patches and having
> > errors compiling sched.c. Just took a quick look: I don't think I
> > can get them working together. The rest of the suspend2 patch (for
> > 2.6.15.1) seems to apply fine to 2.6.15.4 also (Not much changes
> > IIRC).
>
> http://iphitus.loudas.com/archck.php contains both Con's patches and
> Suspend2.

Ha! If everthing would work out that smoothly. :-)

> Regards,
>
> Nigel

big THX, ritch

2006-02-18 16:00:36

by Pavel Machek

On Sat 18-02-06 00:58:14, Richard Mittendorfer wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> On my 64MB notebook I get the following message, when going swsusp:
>
> ..
> swsusp: Need to copy 15526 pages
> swsusp: Not enough free memory
> Error -12 suspending
> ..
>
> # free
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 62760 59884 2876 0 3828 16052
> -/+ buffers/cache: 40004 22756
> Swap: 200804 30316 170488
>
> If I end all apps but the XServer it works. I've allready added some
> more swapspace, but that didn't help. So, how much memory will I need
> for a successful suspend or better (since i can't stuff any more into
> it) is there a way to minimize the amount needed?

128MB should be enough for you. Or try modifying try_to_free memory routine to
retry shrink_all_mem few more times, with schedule() in between...
--
64 bytes from 195.113.31.123: icmp_seq=28 ttl=51 time=448769.1 ms

2006-02-18 16:02:01

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > On my 64MB notebook I get the following message, when going swsusp:
> >
> > ..
> > swsusp: Need to copy 15526 pages
> > swsusp: Not enough free memory
> > Error -12 suspending
> > ..
> >
> > # free
> > total used free shared buffers cached
> > Mem: 62760 59884 2876 0 3828 16052
> > -/+ buffers/cache: 40004 22756
> > Swap: 200804 30316 170488
> >
> > If I end all apps but the XServer it works. I've allready added some
> > more swapspace, but that didn't help. So, how much memory will I need
> > for a successful suspend or better (since i can't stuff any more into
> > it) is there a way to minimize the amount needed?
>
> swsusp needs to be able to free half your memory to be able to suspend. I
> don't know it intimately, but you may well be failing to do this. Being
> completely biased (and not unwilling to admit it!), I'd suggest you try
> Suspend2 (http://www.suspend2.net). It doesn't have such a limitation.

Actually suspend2 has exactly the same limitation. If more than
half memory is occupied by something else than disk caches,
you loose in swsusp and suspend2.

--
64 bytes from 195.113.31.123: icmp_seq=28 ttl=51 time=448769.1 ms

2006-02-18 18:00:41

by Pavel Machek

On So 18-02-06 18:57:59, Richard Mittendorfer wrote:
> Also sprach Pavel Machek <[email protected]> (Sat, 18 Feb 2006 16:11:16
> +0100):
> > On Sat 18-02-06 00:58:14, Richard Mittendorfer wrote:
> > > If I end all apps but the XServer it works. I've allready added some
> > > more swapspace, but that didn't help. So, how much memory will I
> > > need for a successful suspend or better (since i can't stuff any
> > > more into it) is there a way to minimize the amount needed?
> >
> > 128MB should be enough for you.
>
> Swap? 128M was my first attempt -- OOM when the box was heavily loaded.
> IIRC no effect on swsusp - there are 64M Ram + 2M Video + Kernel + X?.
> The reason I did it were some google results talking about free pages.
> There were some solutions talking about adding swap.
>
> (Ram? Would be the way to go, but it's fully loaded.)

RAM. No ammount of swap will help you.

> > Or try modifying try_to_free memory
> > routine to retry shrink_all_mem few more times, with schedule() in
> > between...
>
> Uhh. I don't think this will be a good idea /me ha[ck|rm]ing good ol'
> linux source. ;-)

It should be easy. It is quite hard to loose much data this way ;-).

Pavel
--
Web maintainer for suspend.sf.net (http://www.sf.net/projects/suspend) wanted...

2006-02-18 17:58:11

by Richard Mittendorfer

Also sprach Pavel Machek <[email protected]> (Sat, 18 Feb 2006 16:11:16
+0100):
> On Sat 18-02-06 00:58:14, Richard Mittendorfer wrote:
> > If I end all apps but the XServer it works. I've allready added some
> > more swapspace, but that didn't help. So, how much memory will I
> > need for a successful suspend or better (since i can't stuff any
> > more into it) is there a way to minimize the amount needed?
>
> 128MB should be enough for you.

Swap? 128M was my first attempt -- OOM when the box was heavily loaded.
IIRC no effect on swsusp - there are 64M Ram + 2M Video + Kernel + X?.
The reason I did it were some google results talking about free pages.
There were some solutions talking about adding swap.

(Ram? Would be the way to go, but it's fully loaded.)

> Or try modifying try_to_free memory
> routine to retry shrink_all_mem few more times, with schedule() in
> between...

Uhh. I don't think this will be a good idea /me ha[ck|rm]ing good ol'
linux source. ;-)

sl ritch

2006-05-02 03:28:13

by Richard Mittendorfer

Subject: Re: [swsusp] not enough memory [solved with 2.6.17-rc3]

Also sprach Richard Mittendorfer <[email protected]> (Sat, 18 Feb 2006 00:58:14 +0100):
> On my 64MB notebook I get the following message, when going swsusp:
>
> ..
> swsusp: Need to copy 15526 pages
> swsusp: Not enough free memory
> Error -12 suspending
> ..
>
> # free
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 62760 59884 2876 0 3828 16052
> -/+ buffers/cache: 40004 22756
> Swap: 200804 30316 170488
>
> If I end all apps but the XServer it works. I've allready added some
> more swapspace, but that didn't help. So, how much memory will I need
> for a successful suspend or better (since i can't stuff any more into
> it) is there a way to minimize the amount needed?

Seems fixed with 2.6.17-rc3. Field-testet on the loaded box several times.

_._. .._ _ .... . ._. . __..__ _._. .._ _ .... . ._. .
libre powermanagement[2300]: suspend to disk.
libre powermanagement[2309]: Found some modules loaded .. unloading
libre kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:05:00.0 disabled
libre kernel: ath_pci: driver unloaded
libre kernel: Stopping tasks: ====================================================|
libre kernel: Shrinking memory... ^H-^H\^Hdone (10007 pages freed)
libre kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:13.1 disabled
libre kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:13.0 disabled
libre kernel: swsusp: Need to copy 6061 pages
libre kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:13.0[A] -> Link [LNKA] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
libre kernel: PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:13.0 to 64
libre kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:13.1[B] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
libre kernel: PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:13.1 to 64
libre kernel: Restarting tasks... done
libre powermanagement[2344]: Reloading modules ..

big THX,

ritch