2006-03-03 13:21:12

by Alexander Mieland

Subject: how to find out which module was built by which .config variables?

Hello,

I need to create a database with configuration options (the ones
in .config) and the resulting kernel modules.

Is there any simple possibility (with bash and its applications) to find
out, which kernel modules will be built by which .config options? I know
that there are also many dependencies between the options and the modules
and I want to add them to the database too. The dependencies can be found
out with the Kconfig files, I think.

I've already looked into the source files of some modules, but I can not
find any commonalities which would make it easy to find the module-name
which will be build.

I've found some stuff like this:
#define DRIVER_NAME "8139too"
or things linke:
#define <something>_MODULES_NAME "some string which seems to be the
descriptive name"

But this doesn't really help... :(

Sincerely

Alexander Mieland

--
Alexander 'dma147' Mieland 2.6.15-ck3-r1-fb-my4 SMP
FnuPG-ID: 27491179 Registered Linux-User #249600

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.12 kB)
(No filename) (191.00 B)

by Jan Engelhardt

>Hello,
>
>I need to create a database with configuration options (the ones
>in .config) and the resulting kernel modules.

Let's pick 8139too.ko for example.
Find /usr/src/linux -name 8139too.ko
In that same directory, look at the Makefile:
obj-$(CONFIG_8139TOO) += 8139too.o

>Is there any simple possibility (with bash and its applications) to find
>out, which kernel modules will be built by which .config options? I know
>that there are also many dependencies between the options and the modules
>and I want to add them to the database too. The dependencies can be found
>out with the Kconfig files, I think.
>
>I've already looked into the source files of some modules, but I can not
>find any commonalities which would make it easy to find the module-name
>which will be build.
>
>I've found some stuff like this:
>#define DRIVER_NAME "8139too"
>or things linke:
>#define <something>_MODULES_NAME "some string which seems to be the
>descriptive name"
>
>But this doesn't really help... :(
>
>Sincerely
>
>Alexander Mieland
>
>--
>Alexander 'dma147' Mieland 2.6.15-ck3-r1-fb-my4 SMP
>FnuPG-ID: 27491179 Registered Linux-User #249600
>http://blog.linux-stats.org http://www.linux-stats.org
>http://www.mieland-programming.de http://www.php-programs.de

Jan Engelhardt
--
| Software Engineer and Linux/Unix Network Administrator

2006-03-03 13:39:28

by Alexander Mieland

Am Friday 03 March 2006 14:35 schrieben Sie:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I need to create a database with configuration options (the ones
> >in .config) and the resulting kernel modules.
>
> Let's pick 8139too.ko for example.
> Find /usr/src/linux -name 8139too.ko
> In that same directory, look at the Makefile:
> obj-$(CONFIG_8139TOO) += 8139too.o

Ahh, great, this helps much more!
Thanks. ;)

--
Alexander 'dma147' Mieland 2.6.15-ck3-r1-fb-my4 SMP
FnuPG-ID: 27491179 Registered Linux-User #249600
http://blog.linux-stats.org http://www.linux-stats.org
http://www.mieland-programming.de http://www.php-programs.de

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.40 kB)
(No filename) (191.00 B)

by Steven Rostedt

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Alexander Mieland wrote:

> Am Friday 03 March 2006 14:35 schrieben Sie:
> > >Hello,
> > >
> > >I need to create a database with configuration options (the ones
> > >in .config) and the resulting kernel modules.
> >
> > Let's pick 8139too.ko for example.
> > Find /usr/src/linux -name 8139too.ko
> > In that same directory, look at the Makefile:
> > obj-$(CONFIG_8139TOO) += 8139too.o
>
> Ahh, great, this helps much more!
> Thanks. ;)

I have a perl script that reads the current modules, Kconfigs and
makefiles that I use to trim the .config to a minimum. I does do what you
ask. Basically find the options that match the modules.

It's here:

http://www.kihontech.com/code/streamline_config.pl

-- Steve