2006-03-27 23:10:56

by Friedrich Göpel

Subject: hda-intel woes

This same message was sent to the alsa mailinglist 3 weeks ago,
but it still seems to be waiting on being moderated, so I'm resending
this here.

Hi,

I tried installing linux on my sister's new acer extensa 6700 laptop.
I tried Fedora FC4, FC5 test 3 and now Gentoo with various kernel and
alsa versions (specifically 1.0.10 and 1.0.11-rc3 and whatever is in
fedora before and after a full update).
Also I set up a friends vaio laptop also with an intel hd audio chip,
which is working peachy.
I also tried model=basic/hp/fujitsu just in case.

Just to preempt the question: I did unmute and raise the mixer levels.

Anyways the damn thing is not to be convinced to produce a single
sound.

In light of this I suppose Acer did something nasty to that chip.

I'm attatching here the relevant part of lspci -vv in hopes of somebody
being either able to point out a fix or tell me if it's going to be
supported sometime soon.

I could pose as a genuea pig if neccessary.
Also if there is any further information I should gather just tell me.

Otherwise it's back to windows for my sister I guess.

PS. I'm not subscribed to the list so please CC me.
Thanks.

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 008f
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
Address: 0000000000000000 Data: 0000
Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
Device: Supported: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, ExtTag-
Device: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
Device: Errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
Device: RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
Device: MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
Link: Supported Speed unknown, Width x0, ASPM unknown, Port 0
Link: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
Link: ASPM Disabled CommClk- ExtSynch-
Link: Speed unknown, Width x0
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [130] Unknown (5)

2006-03-27 23:54:20

by Jeffrey V. Merkey

Subject: Re: hda-intel woes

Visit http://www.redhat.com.

Purchase a support contract for customer service, fastest way to get help.

Jeff

Friedrich Göpel wrote:

>This same message was sent to the alsa mailinglist 3 weeks ago,
>but it still seems to be waiting on being moderated, so I'm resending
>this here.
>

>Hi,
>
>I tried installing linux on my sister's new acer extensa 6700 laptop.
>I tried Fedora FC4, FC5 test 3 and now Gentoo with various kernel and
>alsa versions (specifically 1.0.10 and 1.0.11-rc3 and whatever is in
>fedora before and after a full update).
>Also I set up a friends vaio laptop also with an intel hd audio chip,
>which is working peachy.
>I also tried model=basic/hp/fujitsu just in case.
>
>Just to preempt the question: I did unmute and raise the mixer levels.
>
>Anyways the damn thing is not to be convinced to produce a single
>sound.
>
>In light of this I suppose Acer did something nasty to that chip.
>
>I'm attatching here the relevant part of lspci -vv in hopes of somebody
>being either able to point out a fix or tell me if it's going to be
>supported sometime soon.
>
>I could pose as a genuea pig if neccessary.
>Also if there is any further information I should gather just tell me.
>
>Otherwise it's back to windows for my sister I guess.
>
>PS. I'm not subscribed to the list so please CC me.
>Thanks.
>
>00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 008f
> Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
> Address: 0000000000000000 Data: 0000
> Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
> Device: Supported: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc 0, ExtTag-
> Device: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
> Device: Errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
> Device: RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
> Device: MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
> Link: Supported Speed unknown, Width x0, ASPM unknown, Port 0
> Link: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
> Link: ASPM Disabled CommClk- ExtSynch-
> Link: Speed unknown, Width x0
> Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
> Capabilities: [130] Unknown (5)
>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

by Friedrich Göpel

On 18:45 Mon 27 Mar , Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> Visit http://www.redhat.com.
>
> Purchase a support contract for customer service, fastest way to get help.
>
> Jeff

Hi,

Hmm might even do that, but apart from it not being just a redhat/fedora
issue, I replaced the fedora with gentoo and I wouldn't replace it with
fedora again for paying for redhat support, with no guarantee that this
would help.
Though if there was one that it would make the world a better place, so
to speak, it maybe consider it.

Anyway thanks for the quick reply.

Cheers,

Friedrich G?pel

2006-03-28 01:22:47

by Kyle Moffett

On Mar 27, 2006, at 19:45:34, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> Visit http://www.redhat.com. Purchase a support contract for customer
> service, fastest way to get help.

First of all, Jeff, no need to be rude, he asked a reasonable
question and provided all the pertinent useful info. You also
committed the grievous mailing-list etiquette violation of top-
posting. A more polite and useful response is as follows:

Friedrich G?pel wrote:
> This same message was sent to the alsa mailinglist 3 weeks ago, but
> it still seems to be waiting on being moderated, so I'm resending
> this here.

Hi! Unfortunately messages tend to get lost on occasion due to the
sheer volume of email. Sometimes you may have to resend a couple
times to get a response. It also helps if you add relevant CC's from
the MAINTAINERS file (added to this message). You can also file a
bug report on the ALSA bug tracker, I think the ALSA people tend to
be fairly good about keeping up with that; sometimes more so than the
mailing list.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

Remainder copied verbatim for those added to the CC:
> Hi,
>
> I tried installing linux on my sister's new acer extensa 6700
> laptop. I tried Fedora FC4, FC5 test 3 and now Gentoo with various
> kernel and alsa versions (specifically 1.0.10 and 1.0.11-rc3 and
> whatever is in fedora before and after a full update). Also I set
> up a friends vaio laptop also with an intel hd audio chip, which is
> working peachy. I also tried model=basic/hp/fujitsu just in case.
>
> Just to preempt the question: I did unmute and raise the mixer levels.
>
> Anyways the damn thing is not to be convinced to produce a single
> sound.
>
> In light of this I suppose Acer did something nasty to that chip.
>
> I'm attatching here the relevant part of lspci -vv in hopes of
> somebody being either able to point out a fix or tell me if it's
> going to be supported sometime soon.
>
> I could pose as a genuea pig if neccessary. Also if there is any
> further information I should gather just tell me.
>
> Otherwise it's back to windows for my sister I guess.
>
> PS. I'm not subscribed to the list so please CC me. Thanks.
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6
> Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 008f
> Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+
> Queue=0/0 Enable-
> Address: 0000000000000000 Data: 0000
> Capabilities: [70] Express Unknown type IRQ 0
> Device: Supported: MaxPayload 128 bytes, PhantFunc
> 0, ExtTag-
> Device: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
> Device: Errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal-
> Unsupported-
> Device: RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+
> Device: MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes
> Link: Supported Speed unknown, Width x0, ASPM
> unknown, Port 0
> Link: Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us
> Link: ASPM Disabled CommClk- ExtSynch-
> Link: Speed unknown, Width x0
> Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
> Capabilities: [130] Unknown (5)

2006-03-28 01:28:50

by Lee Revell

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 20:22 -0500, Kyle Moffett wrote:
> Friedrich G?pel wrote:
> > This same message was sent to the alsa mailinglist 3 weeks ago, but
> > it still seems to be waiting on being moderated, so I'm resending
> > this here.
>
> Hi! Unfortunately messages tend to get lost on occasion due to the
> sheer volume of email. Sometimes you may have to resend a couple
> times to get a response. It also helps if you add relevant CC's from
> the MAINTAINERS file (added to this message). You can also file a
> bug report on the ALSA bug tracker, I think the ALSA people tend to
> be fairly good about keeping up with that; sometimes more so than the
> mailing list.

First, try ALSA CVS - many hda-intel bugs have been fixed since
1.0.11-rc3.

Lee

2006-03-28 08:29:43

by Petri Kaukasoina

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 01:10:49AM +0200, Friedrich G?pel wrote:
> I tried Fedora FC4, FC5 test 3 and now Gentoo with various kernel and
> alsa versions (specifically 1.0.10 and 1.0.11-rc3 and whatever is in
> fedora before and after a full update).

> Anyways the damn thing is not to be convinced to produce a single
> sound.

Hi

Try kernel 2.6.15.* from kernel.org and the ALSA drivers coming with it. At
least it works on my HP Compaq.

kernel 2.6.15.6 (with builtin ALSA 1.0.10rc3) works fine
kernel 2.6.16 + its ALSA (1.0.11rc2): no sound
kernel 2.6.16 + alsa-git-2006-03-22.patch (ALSA 1.0.11rc4): no sound

00:1b.0 Class 0403: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition
Audio Controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3010

Codec: Realtek ALC260
Vendor Id: 0x10ec0260
Subsystem Id: 0x103c3010
Revision Id: 0x100400

-Petri

2006-03-28 16:57:53

by Friedrich Göpel

On 21:22 Mon 27 Mar , Kyle Moffett wrote:
> Hi! Unfortunately messages tend to get lost on occasion due to the sheer volume of email. Sometimes you
> may have to resend a couple times to get a response. It also helps if you add relevant CC's from the
> MAINTAINERS file (added to this message). You can also file a bug report on the ALSA bug tracker, I think
> the ALSA people tend to be fairly good about keeping up with that; sometimes more so than the mailing list.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but it seems I have wasted your time.
It works now that I upgraded the thing to 2.6.16 and alsa 1.0.11_rc4,
so I guess it's all fixed already. :)
I propably should have rechecked before resending the mail,
but I didn't notice there was a new alsa rc.

Anyway, well done, I'll mail if I should come across an actual bug. ;)

Cheers,

Friedrich G?pel

2006-03-28 23:09:50

by Bill Davidsen

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> Visit http://www.redhat.com.
>
> Purchase a support contract for customer service, fastest way to get help.

Several things have escaped you:
1 - common politeness - the question was reasonable
2 - sound doesn't work on ASUS laptops up thru at least 2.6.15.3
3 - Fedora is user supported

Having spent months trying to convince people that there was no
{various_things} to mute or unmute, it didn't work with earphones
either, etc, I decided that given a choice between (a) Windows, (b) a
new laptop which might not work either, or (c) a cheap USB sound setup,
I decided to stop banging my head on that particular rock.

My friend bought one at the same time I did, he reports that neither the
latest Fedora kernel, 2.6.15.6, or 2.6.16 works. Downloading the latest
ALSA patches may work if they apply to the kernel you have.

2006-03-28 23:30:41

by Jeffrey V. Merkey

Bill Davidsen wrote:

> Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>

>> Visit http://www.redhat.com.
>>
>> Purchase a support contract for customer service, fastest way to get
>> help.
>

> Several things have escaped you:
> 1 - common politeness - the question was reasonable

Common politeness? The person posted several times and was ignored. We
purchase and use red hat products all day long and their service is
excellent. When our cutomers call for support problems get fixed and
addressed -- without our customers being harnessed and used as guinea
pigs to test buggy patches. Some people are simply users and need to go
to the supplier of the distribution to get drivers or help. Red Hat's
online forums are outstanding and most of these questions get answered
and addressed just by searching their site -- even for distros from
other vendors. Intel Video and other support in FC2, ES4, etc. must
come from Red hat and Suse since their kernels are so forked, they
cannot be used without several hundred patches (NPTL, etc).

> 2 - sound doesn't work on ASUS laptops up thru at least 2.6.15.3

> 3 - Fedora is user supported

And has an enormous knoweldge base on red hat's website covering
numerous issues.

> Having spent months trying to convince people that there was no
> {various_things} to mute or unmute, it didn't work with earphones
> either, etc, I decided that given a choice between (a) Windows, (b) a
> new laptop which might not work either, or (c) a cheap USB sound
> setup, I decided to stop banging my head on that particular rock.
>
> My friend bought one at the same time I did, he reports that neither
> the latest Fedora kernel, 2.6.15.6, or 2.6.16 works. Downloading the
> latest ALSA patches may work if they apply to the kernel you have.

I wasn;t trying to be flippant or rude, I was simply pointing this
person to a website where they might find answers. Most users are not
programmers and expecting them to debug patches and rebuild a kernel
(which won't work in most cases because of forking and massive patches
by the DISTRO vendors) .
Linux has grown up. People using laptops with distros will find a lot
of answers on these forums.

How about wireless drivers? Bcm drivers for example. Written as NDIS
and using ndiswrapper. Laptop issues are complicated and not general
bugs. LKML isn;t useful to address these issues. I don't even get
I don't use stock kernel.org releases any longer since the distro's have
forked so extensively.

And the whining about where a website link was posted on a reply is not
something to get crosswise over. Next time I'll respond quietly to the
user and save the vitriol.

Jeff

2006-03-29 17:12:31

by Bill Davidsen

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> I wasn;t trying to be flippant or rude, I was simply pointing this
> person to a website where they might find answers. Most users are not
> programmers and expecting them to debug patches and rebuild a kernel
> (which won't work in most cases because of forking and massive patches
> by the DISTRO vendors) .

Since at least one other person mentioned that your reply was harsh,
leave it that your intentions were good and you weren't intentionally
impolitic.

> Linux has grown up. People using laptops with distros will find a lot
> of answers on these forums.
> How about wireless drivers? Bcm drivers for example. Written as NDIS
> and using ndiswrapper. Laptop issues are complicated and not general
> bugs. LKML isn;t useful to address these issues. I don't even get
> I don't use stock kernel.org releases any longer since the distro's have
> forked so extensively.

Since the issue is/was in the kernel.org release, the question wasn't
really out of place. As noted ASUS sound hasn't worked forever, and last
night I was curious about the claims that it was fixed, and lo... I have
sound in 2.6.16.1. Of course my webcam stopped working, so now that I
can play back my meeting notes I can't record the meeting :-( That's not
a trouble report, I have to look at all my config stuff first.

--
-bill davidsen ([email protected])

by Jeffrey V. Merkey

Bill Davidsen wrote:

> Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
>> I wasn;t trying to be flippant or rude, I was simply pointing this
>> person to a website where they might find answers. Most users are
>> not programmers and expecting them to debug patches and rebuild a
>> kernel (which won't work in most cases because of forking and massive
>> patches by the DISTRO vendors) .
>

> Since at least one other person mentioned that your reply was harsh,
> leave it that your intentions were good and you weren't intentionally
> impolitic.
>
>> Linux has grown up. People using laptops with distros will find a
>> lot of answers on these forums.
>> How about wireless drivers? Bcm drivers for example. Written as
>> NDIS and using ndiswrapper. Laptop issues are complicated and not
>> general bugs. LKML isn;t useful to address these issues. I don't
>> even get responses on AMD issues and I do kernel development all day
>> long. And I don't use stock kernel.org releases any longer since
>> the distro's have forked so extensively.
>

> Since the issue is/was in the kernel.org release, the question wasn't
> really out of place. As noted ASUS sound hasn't worked forever, and
> last night I was curious about the claims that it was fixed, and lo...
> I have sound in 2.6.16.1. Of course my webcam stopped working, so now
> that I can play back my meeting notes I can't record the meeting :-(
> That's not a trouble report, I have to look at all my config stuff first.

Thanks for the kind response. I will not be so abrupt next time.

Jeff