2006-05-02 16:22:13

by Sanal V

Subject: LINUX device driver help

I am a young linux application programmer. I dont have any experience
in writing linux device drivers. I want to learn how to write drivers.
Please can anyone tell me where to start and how ???

Please help me, sorry if im disturbing u guys
Thank you

Regards,
Sanal

2006-05-02 16:26:20

by Erik Mouw

Subject: Re: LINUX device driver help

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 09:52:11PM +0530, Sanal V wrote:
> I am a young linux application programmer. I dont have any experience
> in writing linux device drivers. I want to learn how to write drivers.
> Please can anyone tell me where to start and how ???

Linux Device Drivers, 3rd edition:

http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/

And the kernelnewbies website (and IRC channel, and mailing list):

http://www.kernelnewbies.org/

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- http://www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --
| Lab address: Delftechpark 26, 2628 XH, Delft, The Netherlands

2006-05-02 16:28:44

by Arjan van de Ven

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 21:52 +0530, Sanal V wrote:
> I am a young linux application programmer. I dont have any experience
> in writing linux device drivers. I want to learn how to write drivers.
> Please can anyone tell me where to start and how ???

a good resource is the LDD3 book; and the http://www.kernelnewbies.org website
and respective IRC channel and mailing list...